hiking boot for rocky terrain

BillTex

Adventurer
I couldn't get the Keen Targhee's to keep my foot from slamming forward into the toe-box on the downhills. Not enough support across the top of the foot -- basically just laces and fabric. They were super comfortable, just didn't work for my foot shape on hills. But, they are really popular and a lot of people like them as much as you do.

I first started hiking on those trails in low cut trail runners. My feet and ankles were getting demolished from banging against rocks.

Yeah...I did Owl's Head/Liberty slide bushwack in trail runners. It's the only time I ever got black toe nails. Went back to mid-cuts after that...

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I've had very good luck with my Danner Mountain Light II's. They aren't cheap but I've had them for six months and no complaints. Bonus is they can be resoled when you wear through the tread, don't have to toss out the boot.

binrat

Observer
I have had Merrell's, Scarpa's and Asolo's. Out of the three I would go with Scarpa. My next pair is going to be Salewa Alpine Trainer GTX.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I think that there have been some really good points brought up here. I would like to add one more. Budget.
You can drop a hundred bucks on a pair of keens and get who knows how long out of them....
You can also drop 800 bucks on hand made cutsom fit stuff.

I tend to go for the middle ground. I used to make my living backpacking around. I have spent time on the AT, the CDT and all over the west coast.
Needless to say boots/ shoes are one of three things I dont skimp on when I play or work outside.
1. Boots.
2. Rain gear.
3. sun glasses

They are all just as important in my book.

I have has Vasque's Aslo's garmots scarpas la sportivas rocky's, lowes, chipppawas and a few more I am sure.

Here is what I have found out after the last 12- 15 years of many miles and hard use.
No one makes a boot like they used to unless you want to drop a huge chunk of change
my current go to is the asolo TPS line.
I have had 4 pairs of these over the last 6 years. I have used both the gore tex verson and currently have the non gore text pair.

These are hands done the most comfortable pair of boots out of the box that I have ever had, and with your use it sounds like you could get some really good use out of them.

The gor text version is a bit hot in the desert and they are a bit heavy for those 20+ mile days. With that being said they are a truely awesome boot and you would most likely love them. Toss the foot bed that comes with it since it like many these days is worthless. This of it like the tires that came stock on your rig. Cheap and crappy.
grab a pair of super feet and your feet will love you at the end of a long day.

If you are looking for something more light weight, check out La Sportiva's line of approach and hiking shoes. Super sticky rubber, very stout. Lots of people climb in them. I logged many a mile in the desert of south utah one summer. Only true problem is a bit of a tight toe box depending on fit.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have a pair of timberland waterproof hiking boots that I beat on regularly. They are super comfortable, and are holding up great. Keens are awesome.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Having lived in the southwest for so long, I'm a big fan of any boot or shoe with a full 360º rubber rand, or at the very least a good rubber toe cap.

I really like my Salewa Alp Trainer Mids for lighter hikes and my Zamberlan Lhasa boots which are now like these: 960 Zamberlan Those are a tad warm in summer but soooo nice. The nicest boots I've ever owned save for my Zamberlan Tofane boots which I will own until the day I die.

I'd go Scarpa. I've had my SL M3s for 10 years and they're still going strong. Not a fan of the new model SLs. I personally prefer leather over synthetic membranes.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have a pair of Oboz that I like a lot. The Salewa's look real nice to me, but their is nowhere around here that sells them so who knows.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
ok this is what I have observed. this is from someone who wears their boots 360 days a year. the newer so called boots with all the little pieces of nylon and leather sewn together and glued on soles, are weekender boots, basically junk. I am lucky to get 6 months out of these and I have tried many brands. if you want a heavy duty boot you need a one piece full grain leather upper with sewn on soles. to bad many of the companies that used to makes these heavy duty boots no longer do. many of you might say those kind of boots are to stiff, they hurt my feet. that is because you never break them in, you only wear them on weekends, or you enjoy buying new boots every 6 months. highdesertranger

x2 I wear my boots all over the place (literally one week I could be in the desert and the next in rocky mountains and the next in coastal forest) and a large portion of what I do both for work and fun is hike. Lightweight synthetics are awesome for day hiking or ultra light back packing but they never hold up and don't offer enough support with a pack. I would go full grain leather upper with a semi soft vibram sole and leather lined with no gortex for the desert. It breaths, it's super durable, it's resole-able, supportive, comfortable (they do require a lot of break in), etc. Literally the only pitfall is they are a little heavier but that just means you get in better shape every time you wear them.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I picked up a pair of Danner USMC Rat boots a couple of years ago. I paid $120 because they were seconds.....the more I wear them the more I love them. They are a tad heavy but in the fall/winter months here in SC they are great. Plus they can be re-soled. If you can find them on sale as seconds I would jump on them. I consider them a lifetime boot and not a throw away. With a good pair of socks they are warm in the winter time. I do wear them with shorts when hiking in the summertime...maybe a little goofy but who cares.

http://www.danner.com/product/military/usmc-rat-temperate.html

I am probably going to pick up a pair of Danner Mountain Lights for summer....

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I use a pair of Limmers. Leather inside and out. Replaceable soles. Just need a few miles to wear in. Medium cushion wool socks and a super thin wool liner and I can hike in the summer desert without excess sweat and snowshoe in the high mountains in the winter and not have cold toes. Super supportive in heavy rocks, but yet don't feel like ski boots. This is just with the Limmer light weight.

I have never had my feet wet no matter how wet the snow or how long the stream crossing. They are treated with Limmer boot grease or Obenauf's a couple of times a year.

http://limmerboot.com/Lightweight.html

lightweight.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I use a pair of Limmers. Leather inside and out. Replaceable soles. Just need a few miles to wear in. Medium cushion wool socks and a super thin wool liner and I can hike in the summer desert without excess sweat and snowshoe in the high mountains in the winter and not have cold toes. Super supportive in heavy rocks, but yet don't feel like ski boots. This is just with the Limmer light weight.

I have never had my feet wet no matter how wet the snow or how long the stream crossing. They are treated with Limmer boot grease or Obenauf's a couple of times a year.

http://limmerboot.com/Lightweight.html

lightweight.jpg
Man, that's a thick sole...
...and they don't come in adult sizes either.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I had one of the last pairs of boots made by Peter Limmer before his sons took over most of the custom work. That was a long time ago, maybe mid-90s. They were fantastic boots. Then...they got stollen from my car. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles