Highway RPMs

airbox

Hello all! I did some searching and couldnt find anything that really answered my question. I don't do a lot of highway driving since I drive through city to work, but I noticed that when I do hit the Autopistas here, my RPMs seem a little higher than I remember on my last Montero I had. The speed limit is usually set at 65mph, and the engine runs at about 2600-2700 rpms, and 3000 at about 70 mph. (The O/D works fine as after I press it it shifts down.) Is this normal? The transmission fluid looked full and healthy on the dipstick, but the PO didn't seem like the ripest coconut on the beach, so I may just try replacing the trans fluid. Could it be a computer issue? Or am I just paranoid?

Also the A/T light and voltage light come on when Im travelling at low rpms or sitting at a light. Could this be related?

-B.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Sounds right depending on the tire gear combo your truck came with, and your alternator is probably on it's way out (unrelated).

airbox

Thanks for the responses guys,

The tires are 265/70/R16. Pretty small, standard road tires.

Also, the transmission seems to take longer to shift in the morning when the engine is cold. When it gets to normal operating temps, it shifts fine. Is this normal for you folks too?

-B

plh

Explorer
30.6" (estimate new height) diameter tire, gear ratio calculator says for 4.626 rear gear at 65mph is 2410 RPM and at 70 mph 2597 RPM. Gages in these trucks are notoriously inaccurate. Assumes you have a V4AW2 wLockUp automatic.

airbox

That makes me feel better. Thanks everyone.

True, the SR here is really just a regular Montero, I don't know why it is badged as such in PR. All the 2.5 gens here are badged as SRs. I don't know if they have the "Winter package" on island (no winters maybe?), I have not seen any Monteros with lockers here as of yet. There's not a lot written about it either online. Mine has no locker, cloth seats, and the 6g72 3.0L engine (so not exactly an SR, but damit I'm PROUD of it!:D) I don't know why they got the older engines here, except that they have a BAZILLION older Gen 2 monteros here so parts are more available? Gotta get the parts I need for cheap here before I transfer back to americaland.

-B

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior