Smitty Built GEAR Seat Covers

mojave joe

Observer
Anyone tried these on/in a full size truck?
It looks like the "universal" would work, I have a 04 Sierra with the 3 place split seat.

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
I had one in my 4runner. Absolute junk. Faded to pink (from tan) in about 4 months and the material pulled apart at the seams. Definitely not mil quality.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I thought about getting those, but I didn't like the design, since it relies on elastic bands to keep the whole thing tight. I went with a custom set of tactical seat covers from Coverking.com. It took a while to get them, since they make each set to order when you order them and don't keep a warehouse stocked, but it was worth it, both the price and the wait. The price varies on vehicle, but it was comparable to the Smitty Bilt ones. Check out their website and see if you like them. As for quality, no complaints so far. Repels dirt and water just fine. Completely covers my seat fabric and holds up great with the gear I have on them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Anyone tried these on/in a full size truck?
It looks like the "universal" would work, I have a 04 Sierra with the 3 place split seat.

Honestly its a great design, but poor execution in manufacturing. There's others out there that will work better for your GMC. The issue is mainly that the rear sags due to the incline of the seat, and with the weight pulling it down, they tend to split at the seams.

Sea.Jay

Observer
i've hade my SB GEAR on my passenger seat in my van for 2 years. olive drab. its loaded down with knives, flashlight, rope, duct tape, bottles, etc etc.

looks like the day i bought it. my windows are all tinted and i use a sun deflector in the windshield to keep uv rays off it.

chris

h2os2

Adventurer
I have the universal pair also. I would agree too about the "shoe lacing" as being not a great design. Overall the concept is great, no problems, except they don't really fit snug to my seats.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I thought about getting those, but I didn't like the design, since it relies on elastic bands to keep the whole thing tight. I went with a custom set of tactical seat covers from Coverking.com. It took a while to get them, since they make each set to order when you order them and don't keep a warehouse stocked, but it was worth it, both the price and the wait. The price varies on vehicle, but it was comparable to the Smitty Bilt ones. Check out their website and see if you like them. As for quality, no complaints so far. Repels dirt and water just fine. Completely covers my seat fabric and holds up great with the gear I have on them.

attachment.php

Where did you source the pouch that is holding your recovery rope? I have been looking for a long, skinny pouch but have been unable to find one.

Thanks.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Where did you source the pouch that is holding your recovery rope? I have been looking for a long, skinny pouch but have been unable to find one.

Thanks.

Its referred to as a dump pouch or dump bag. Its usually used to just dump loose ammo, empty rounds or whatever you have into it. Doesn't really work very well for the rope though.

If you're looking for a recovery rope bag, check out Adventure Tool Company. If they don't have what you need already, they could probably make it for you.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Its referred to as a dump pouch or dump bag. Its usually used to just dump loose ammo, empty rounds or whatever you have into it. Doesn't really work very well for the rope though.

If you're looking for a recovery rope bag, check out Adventure Tool Company. If they don't have what you need already, they could probably make it for you.

Thanks. I will check them out.

Cordite

Late to this thread, new to the Portal. I bought the SmittyBilt seat covers with the molle straps and returned them asap. Agreed they were not well made. Bought a set of Trek Armor seat covers which cover everything and also have the molle capability on the back. They are expensive but built to last. That was my first and last purchase from Smittybilt, though. The Trek Armor ones also have molle straps on the sides.

Box Rocket

It's obvious that some people are not happy with the Smittybuilt covers. I've had a set in my Tacoma for a few months now and I guess I'm in the minority but I really like them for the most part. They aren't perfect by any means, but for what they are I think they are just fine. They are designed to fit Jeep seats so I knew I'd have some funky fitment in my Tacoma since I'm not even using Tacoma seats. I swapped in some front seats from a Suzuki Reno a couple years ago. From my experience the issues with the seams splitting out are due in large part to the adjustment straps being too tight and stretching the covers. Something's gotta give and the seams are the likely first thing to split.
I haven't had any issues with them fading although mine aren't in an open top vehicle like a wrangler where they are exposed to direct sunlight all the time. So while they are not exactly Mil-spec and there are some flaws I find them to be a decent seat cover and I really value the storage options that they provide on the back of the seat. It has cleaned up my cab on long trips for sure to be able to have a place for stuff in the seat covers.

Wainiha

Explorer
I just bought for the drivers side from Sierra Expeditions. I like the idea and the storage. It's still new. I'll find out about long term durability. It doesn't fit great, but I knew it wasn't for Tacoma seats.

I started a thread in "Storage Solutions" for suggestions on what to put in the molles.

I like it so far-seems solid. Wet Okole was my first thought but they have minimal storage and cost 300+ for a set. I only wanted one cover for now.

Box Rocket tell me more about your seats. I guess you had to modify your seat slider rails?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne