Truck camper combo for family of four - Advice please.

WLKABT

I'm looking to the collective wisdom of the folks here to hopefully guide us with options for an overland expedition vehicle. (I hope this post is in the right place)

Our background is we're are an Aussie family of four: mum, dad and two boys and we're planning a two year overland adventure driving from Alaska to Argentina in 2017.

Initially our plans were to overland from Australia to the UK and we'd been preparing to do that journey in our 2011 Land Rover Defender 130 which has a slide-on Trayon camper. However we've decided to change the plan to see the Americas instead.

We have the option to ship our vehicle to Anchorage but now we're considering the alternative of buying a truck and camper when we arrive and selling it at the end of the journey. I'm not sure what the logistics are with such a plan so hence this post.

Our approx budget would be $50,000 USD for the vehicle and camper. Having spent a bit of time looking online, I'm considering something like a 4x4 F250/350 or Dodge RAM 3500 Dual-Cab diesel of 2006 vintage. These seem to hover around the $18-25,000 leaving approx $25,000 for a used camper.

It's the camper that I'm stuck on. Are there any that will accommodate a family of four. The boys will be eight and nine years old. I suppose there's the option of towing but from what I've read, that's not recommended. I love the look and build quality of the XP Campers however our budget isn't going to stretch that far! plus I don't see how we could squeeze all of us in one.

Whatever we go for, we'd want it to stand up to remote off-road travel and be self-sufficient for at least ten days before needing water etc.

Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions and I look forward to becoming part of the Expedition Portal community.

And because pics are always good - here's our current setup :)

jO4Pb3q.jpg

The layout of the Trayon camper allows for three beds in a very small light package
81uonq7.png

And lastly, us out under the southern skies
osv7DWW.jpg

And lastly, here's a blog post of a recent trip if anyone's interested.
http://kisschaseyphotography.com.au/2014/07/road-trip-to-carnarvon-gorge-in-queensland-easter-2014/

WLKABT

Thanks, good suggestion. Something to add to my vehicle searches. I suppose they'd be a bit rarer than other vehicles.

adrstout

Adventurer
Don't have any experience that could help (wish I did). I can't help but think if you're looking at a big platform like full size diesels, you should be able to make it work. Definitely a challenge from overseas, though.

Love the land rover.

amo292

Adventurer
I don't know about others but I think it would be beneficial to stick with a vehicle you know. I would be a little uneasy going such a distance in an unfamiliar vehicle.

There are plenty of truck camper combos that can be had for less than $50k but it would defiantly take some searching to find.Have you done the logistics for shipping your current rig to compare to the return from buys and selling a completely different one?

WLKABT

I don't know about others but I think it would be beneficial to stick with a vehicle you know. I would be a little uneasy going such a distance in an unfamiliar vehicle.

That's a very valid point and one that concerns me a lot. On the other hand, servicing and parts for an American truck maybe easier vs a European vehicle. Another benefit is that the trucks available in the States are significantly larger than ours, which should allow for a more comfortable life on the road considering it will be our home for two years.

Have you done the logistics for shipping your current rig to compare to the return from buys and selling a completely different one?

No, not yet. I'm waiting for quotes to come back from shipping agents. The cost/loss will be a significant factor in the equation.

Another concern for me is driving a RHD vehicle in South America.

I've read a blog by a couple who are drove an older Land Rover through South America that if they were to do the trip again, they'd buy a vehicle locally.

Driving a RHD truckon the RH side of the road in South America is absolutely the most stressful driving I have ever done! Driving on the wrong side of the road means that the
passenger has to make all the decisions regarding when and if it’s safe to overtake. This procedure usually involves overtaking big slow moving trucks, as the driver (me) can’t see around the vehicle in front, the one you are trying to overtake. In Europe and the USA (civilized) fine, in South America (uncivilized), unbelievably stressful for the passenger and potentially deadly for everybody.
Putting all the above into the mix, I think for us, the only realistic way to complete this trip in the future would be to purchase a LHD truck/camper in the States.
Quote taken from: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/2aussiesglobal/3/1411190359/tpod.html

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
In my opinion, you won't be able to touch anything as cool as your rig in the North American market for $50k. I would look into the logistics of shipping the whole rig, as a start.

For giggles, you could also consider pallatizing and shipping your flatbed camper and mount it on a domestic flatbed while you're here. Buying such a truck then reselling on departure will add logistical issues, but will significantly cut your cost.

Since you're going to be crossing into a lot of countries on your journey, I don't think the "import" issues will be any easier or harder with a your Defender vs. a USDM truck, but I'm far from an expert on that front.

lost1

Spend some time looking at who is overlanding these continents and see if you could purchase a vehicle at the end of their travels. Vehicle Paperwork is fairly straightforward ie no carnets required for the Americas. If you aren't particular on where/when you start and stop this may be an option. Resale would probably be easier in North America but keep in mind there is a very limited appeal for a fully set up overland rig Would you consider doing the trip in reverse? Eg starting in South America?

In B.C. Canada there are quite a number of RHD Japanese Domestic Market vehicles coming that are quite unlike the usual North American stuff. You may be more familiar with the 4x4 Canters, Fusos, etc that accommodate 5 people and a have a decent tray/bed on the back similar to your rover. price for these vehicles is quite reasonable and you have a healthy budget for procuring a vehicle. At $50k I would almost be tempted to sell you my 91 Mog 1300l doka with its unfinished camper. Maybe not...
The idea of shipping your camper unit itself is good if you can get it in a small container (with all your expedition gear etc). This will save time, money and allow you to maintain your comfort level. Pair this with a 4 door Japanese domestic market truck and away you go. I wouldn't use a domestic NA vehicle for this trip as you may have challenges with parts availability (mind you this has improved considerably in the last decade or so).

Make sure that the countries you visit allow RHD vehicles. I believe there may have been an issue with this somewhere in Central America.

There are lots of options, but it sure is nice to have your own vehicle from home when you are preparing your tools, spares etc etc. that is why I always bring my own.

deminimis

Explorer
Our camper works on a Ram 3500 or Chev 3500, but it's big (and you wouldn't want to run around with the 63 gal water tank full). To make it truly off-road worthy, it would take some easy mods, but that equals more weight. Best to go with a flat bed, if going with something like this, which, again, weighs even more. Now you're up to a 4500 or 5500 sized rig. Anyway, here are a couple of pics that may give you some ideas. There is the same camper for sale two hours south of here for $25k. Sleeps five.

20140820_210435.jpg

20140927_121528.jpg

Factory photos here: http://www.okanaganrv.com/Virtual%20Tours%20Clearcom/2008/okrv-116ult/gallery.htm#Living_

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94