Fuel filter wont prime???

Barrabindi

Observer
I hope someone can help??
Ive just changed all my filters. On my 2009 fg84. (70,000km)
The fuel filter was very tight screwing off, and on. It feels and looks to be replaced all the way, BUT
The priming pump on top of the filter wont suck fuel.
Im guessing replace the pump top/diaphragm, and see??
Any experiences??
Any tips on a good replacement, or is the Mitsubishi original sufficient??
Thanks
Andrew

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I am not familiar with the Mitsubishi fuel filter - but on some diesels it really helps to prefill the filter before re-installing it.

I wonder if it is somehow cross threaded? Maybe check that it is square to the flange? Its possible that on the previous filter change someone cross threaded it on and you just did it again - sometimes it can seal if its really tightened up perhaps - I'd pull the filter and check the threads both on the filter and the flange...

Maybe someone with more specific experience can help out here...

Barrabindi

Observer
That all sounds possible. It did appear square with the flange, but worth another look.
Yes we had to pre-fill the filter , it was still difficult to start.DSC_0611.jpg

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I must state the obvious first, did you open the vent to prime? In the pic above the open hose nipple has a hex head screw that needs to be cracked open then pump to get all the air out and steady fuel then immediately closed.

Barrabindi

Observer
:oops:
Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.
After further investigation, via a service book "on CD", accessed from fellow "forum-ites"..
It appears, I only had to open the bleeder valve/bolt CORRECTLY.
>>My mechanic friend helping me, found the bleed screw very tight. He tried to bleed via the output fuel line.... unsuccessfully.
I subsequently located the SECOND screw/bleeder.
Still very little, if any, backpressure on the prime pump???
Thanks
Andrew

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Hey, now you know how to do it. Fortunately the Fuso doesn't have to be bled at the injectors - life is good!

EAB

Observer
I don't have a fuso .... Yet but why doesn't it need to be bled at the injectors? I assume there is a return back to the tank?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles