Why do my interior lights pulse like a disco ball gone bad?

Swank Force One

Adventurer
That's pretty standard for parts store alternators these days, unfortunately. Pull the alternator, exchange it for a "new" one from Autozone again, then take it directly to an alternator/starter repair shop. Find the dirtiest hole in the wall you can possibly find. Give the old dude working there $50 to go through it and replace anything that looks crappy.

Then enjoy your alternator that doesn't totally suck.

jaccox23

Adventurer
So I'm having similar problems with a 99 and I've volt metered it to death and come to the realization that my regulator is fried as well on remanufactured alternator also. So I found that "dirty hole in the wall rebuild shop" and am taking the alternator there after work today. My question is I seen on this thread early on there were comments about getting it rebuilt for a higher output for possible future modifications, so what might those specifications for building for a high output? Plus is the rebuild shop is within walking distance of my apartment and I've known the owner since I was just a wee lad so I might be able to get some "good buddy" discounts and while I got the alternator off I might as well get the whole nine yards done to it so I hopefully never have to touch it again.

Swank Force One

Adventurer
The owner would probably be better suited to say what the alternator could be rebuilt to put out reliably. I've seen 200A+ on ebay, but i'm not sure what sort of longevity they would have, or if they actually can do their rated power for extended periods of time at all.

PacS14

Adventurer
My alternator was the cause for my disco lights, thanks to the leaking cam seal. Make sure your cam seal is not leaking before installing a replacement whichever way you go, because that is the main reason for the voltage regulator failure.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My alternator was the cause for my disco lights, thanks to the leaking cam seal. Make sure your cam seal is not leaking before installing a replacement whichever way you go, because that is the main reason for the voltage regulator failure.

I used to have a leaky cam seal. But there is no evidence that it still leaking, and the last few alternators I've pulled out have been bone dry, no hint of oil residue on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior