Will be checking out this Trooper ..... thoughts?

Patrollife

Explorer
Hi All. I'm in Guatemala and will be checking out this Trooper over the weekend. Asking price is around $2300. I know nothing about these rigs and would want to upgrade the suspension, mount m/ts (can I fit 285s?), clean up the roof rack, add some lights, etc. What do you guys think? Are these rigs worth it?

"izuzu trooper 2.2 petrol, recon engine 12k before, brand new tyres and clutch. 4x4 with low ratio, converts into camper as well as back seats, reliable , paperwork up to date 10 months tax left with guatemalan plates."

10689823_801207373275968_4494043895535113880_n.jpg

1535685_801207463275959_2954537882963843064_n.jpg

1891253_801207483275957_742815883413331360_n.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Their biggest enemy here in the states was rust. Hardly see any first gen Troopers left around here in the rust belt (2nd gens were 1000x better at rust resistance).

Not sure about the engine, here we got 2.3L and 2.6L motors...maybe a 1.9L in the early 80s, but I don't remember a 2.2L.

Not sure about 285s either, I think a little lift might be needed, but I know more about 2nd gens than 1st gens.

You could go to the Planet Isuzoo forums for more info.

Patrollife

Explorer
Great. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Planet Isuzoo forums. I'll check it out.

Their biggest enemy here in the states was rust. Hardly see any first gen Troopers left around here in the rust belt (2nd gens were 1000x better at rust resistance).

Not sure about the engine, here we got 2.3L and 2.6L motors...maybe a 1.9L in the early 80s, but I don't remember a 2.2L.

Not sure about 285s either, I think a little lift might be needed, but I know more about 2nd gens than 1st gens.

You could go to the Planet Isuzoo forums for more info.

Patrollife

Explorer
The more and more I research these rigs, the more it seems I should find additional funds to buy a better, more dependable and capable 4x4. I intend to put whatever I get to the test and hopefully travel to Belize for a little fun. I'm waiting to hear back on an LJ LandCruiser as well. But who knows, I might be pleasantly surprised when I see this Trooper on Saturday. Or the Hilux Surf!

S

Squatchout

Personally I've never owned a more dependable rig than a 1st gen Trooper. Biggest problem these days is age. Any vehicle that's 25+ years old will need some going over to get it back to tip top shape. Rubber hoses ect need to be replaced. Pretty capable offroad for travel. If you have to try to climb every boulder and run every mudhole you see then maybe not the best truck. Very stout for their size. '87 was a crossover year. Change from old 8 bolt front to 10 bolt and 10 bolt rear to 12 bolt. Internal ring gear bolts not housing. Normally you can tell by the fact that 12 bolt comes with disc rear brakes. Also wider track. The front is IFS but unless you beat hard with a front locker they hold up well if the boots are not torn. Cv axles are not hard to replace. Biggest issue is internal rust in frame.

Patrollife

Explorer
Personally I've never owned a more dependable rig than a 1st gen Trooper. Biggest problem these days is age. Any vehicle that's 25+ years old will need some going over to get it back to tip top shape. Rubber hoses ect need to be replaced. Pretty capable offroad for travel. If you have to try to climb every boulder and run every mudhole you see then maybe not the best truck. Very stout for their size. '87 was a crossover year. Change from old 8 bolt front to 10 bolt and 10 bolt rear to 12 bolt. Internal ring gear bolts not housing. Normally you can tell by the fact that 12 bolt comes with disc rear brakes. Also wider track. The front is IFS but unless you beat hard with a front locker they hold up well if the boots are not torn. Cv axles are not hard to replace. Biggest issue is internal rust in frame.

Thanks....not ruling it out just yet. Is there a large after market for these rigs, i.e. suspension, armor, etc. I know Land Cruisers and FJs have a wide selection on the web so just wondering what's the best online resource for me to peruse.

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
This rig (depending on rust, and overall conditions) would probably do you just fine. A bunch of guys here in Chile run with the 1st gen troopers. And they use them for more than just a mild off-road use. Getting the 285's on it will require a slight lift (not my experience but that of guys on www.twistedandes.com). Still, I have to imagine that Guatamala is kind of like Chile, in the fact that cars, especially 4x4's, are much more expensive than in the states. A shackle lift would do for the tires on the rear leafs. I'm sure any maestranza can hook you up with something for around $30 u.s. and the front (assuming the torsion bars aren't too weak) will give you the lift needed by the cranking of them.

As a side note... A bunch of guys like this body style here in Chile because it's bigger than the 2 doors in the U.S. and there is a ton of space in them. Guys in Europe say the 2.2 is a little underpowered, but good. Once again, all of this is with the idea that the motor/rig is actually in somewhat of a decent condition. Another bennefit to owning a Trooper in South America is that they share almost the same exact chassis as the Chevrolet Luv crew cab pickup, so a large majority of the parts are typically available. Still, even if it's a good price, go to some local parts stores and ask if they have parts for that vehicle. I can get about 70% of the parts needed for my 2nd gen in chile for drive train, and only about 25% for my body/asthetic. So, I do a lot of junkyard internet buying and U.S./Australia importing. That's just because I'm in Chile though. So, check out the parts sit. before you buy it too.

FYI. Same goes for the Hilux surfs here in Chile. Not all the diesel parts are available, w/o importing thru the dealership. Once again, don't know how common they are in Guatamala. Also... If I was to buy a 1st gen troop like that in Chile, it would cost me $2600 to $3000 min. So, I find that the price is probablly about right, but do to the conditions it's probably been thru, try to get them down to $2000 even if you can.

Just my $.02 worth. Hope it's helpful!
Let us know how it goes.

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Thanks....not ruling it out just yet. Is there a large after market for these rigs, i.e. suspension, armor, etc. I know Land Cruisers and FJs have a wide selection on the web so just wondering what's the best online resource for me to peruse.

I would say there is a LARGE aftermarket for these rigs, but there is some support. Most notably, http://www.independent4x.com and OME. Still, I've been amazed at how much the guys over at Planetisuzoo.com and http://www.twistedandes.com/foro/showthread.php?t=59222 (trooper owners thread) have been able to do to and with these rigs.

Last edited:

Patrollife

Explorer
This rig (depending on rust, and overall conditions) would probably do you just fine. A bunch of guys here in Chile run with the 1st gen troopers. And they use them for more than just a mild off-road use. Getting the 285's on it will require a slight lift (not my experience but that of guys on www.twistedandes.com). Still, I have to imagine that Guatamala is kind of like Chile, in the fact that cars, especially 4x4's, are much more expensive than in the states. A shackle lift would do for the tires on the rear leafs. I'm sure any maestranza can hook you up with something for around $30 u.s. and the front (assuming the torsion bars aren't too weak) will give you the lift needed by the cranking of them.

As a side note... A bunch of guys like this body style here in Chile because it's bigger than the 2 doors in the U.S. and there is a ton of space in them. Guys in Europe say the 2.2 is a little underpowered, but good. Once again, all of this is with the idea that the motor/rig is actually in somewhat of a decent condition. Another bennefit to owning a Trooper in South America is that they share almost the same exact chassis as the Chevrolet Luv crew cab pickup, so a large majority of the parts are typically available. Still, even if it's a good price, go to some local parts stores and ask if they have parts for that vehicle. I can get about 70% of the parts needed for my 2nd gen in chile for drive train, and only about 25% for my body/asthetic. So, I do a lot of junkyard internet buying and U.S./Australia importing. That's just because I'm in Chile though. So, check out the parts sit. before you buy it too.

FYI. Same goes for the Hilux surfs here in Chile. Not all the diesel parts are available, w/o importing thru the dealership. Once again, don't know how common they are in Guatamala. Also... If I was to buy a 1st gen troop like that in Chile, it would cost me $2600 to $3000 min. So, I find that the price is probablly about right, but do to the conditions it's probably been thru, try to get them down to $2000 even if you can.

Just my $.02 worth. Hope it's helpful!
Let us know how it goes.

Wow. All fantastic advice, Eric. I'm confirmed for tomorrow at noon to check this thing out. I like the boxy look and all the space it provides. I'll take some pictures of the engine, suspension, interior, and see what you guys think from there.

EricMcGrew

Adventurer
Wow. All fantastic advice, Eric. I'm confirmed for tomorrow at noon to check this thing out. I like the boxy look and all the space it provides. I'll take some pictures of the engine, suspension, interior, and see what you guys think from there.

My pleasure. Hope it works out. We'll be on the look out for those pics and updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles