1987 CSW 110

Quebec Kid

Hello,

First post here, but lurked around for a while. Thought I might share my project and progression. My dad bought years ago a 110 from a gentleman in BC and had it train shipped to Montreal. After years of problems (including but not limited to turbo failure, engine failure, clutch issues, glow-plug issues) my father basically gave up on the truck, parked it and let it rot for a few year. Fast forward last winter he wanted to rid of it and I decided to jump on it. I fish almost 70 days a year, mostly for Steelhead in the GL and striped bass or trout through the summer. My daily driver is an A4 (b6), you can imagine the fun going through logging road with 4 guys, camping gear, fishing gear and camera gear. Good times...

The 110 is meant to replace it for my week-end expedition, on top of things, this is my gap year/findoutwhatIwanttodoinlifeyear/world travels. Instead of going around the world, I put the cash in the LR and decided I'll spend a few months on the road (first stop most likely the big six around Eureka, Cali). So, here she is:

16388_837164642982774_9024468306562762458_n.jpg

First things we did is get here started, needed a new starter motor. After that, clutch was having some issue, turns out it was a quick fix involving blobs of goop in the fluid, dumped it, cleaned the lines and put some fresh one in and it’s good as new. Then, we managed to make it crawl a full 50 feet (after changing a flat tire). A quick inspection reviled locked front brakes. I’ll have pictures up later, but we used hammers to take the calipers off, and the brake lines ruptured when I touched them, so we changed that too! After all was done, we got to test drive it for a while, putting 171km in a weekend (possibly involving a 2am climb to the top of the local ski hill). We also uncovered issues with the rear drum brakes (both wheel cylinders were leaking) so we changed one last week, should be changing the other today!

10582931_851983458167559_8282430816067711849_o.jpg

Other than that, I upgraded the headlights to Hellas and pick up 4 Hella 500’s with cap for 80$, also pick up 2 hella 550’s for 40$. I repainted and straighten the front bull guard too.
The big news is my new engine; I found a full 200Tdi swap kit a few hours away and sent out payment yesterday. The engine is out of a Disco and was rebuild in the U.K to be swap in an 85 110 with a 2.5 Diesel. Checked it out last week, and hopefully I’ll go pick it up tomorrow at the latest! In the next few weeks we hope to cross to BC to see a friend and come back, it will also be a great opportunity to test out the engine.

For now, I have to run but will post pictures and more details later on.
Andrew

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Cool project. I think you will have issues with the Discovery 200 turbo clearing the LHD steering gear but I may be mistaken.

LR Max

Local Oaf
The engine is out of a Disco and was rebuild in the U.K to be swap in an 85 110 with a 2.5 Diesel.

Someone has done the leg work here. Awesome project and keep driving it!

Timod110

Observer
Andrew

Is the engine from the guys in Valleyfield? I have only seen the LR shop from the highway on the way back from Montreal

Good luck with the swap

Cheers

T

Quebec Kid

a7Lr2pf.jpg

It's here!

sorry for the bad pics, will pull out the camera tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the steering issues. I'll keep you posted on how we installed it. Should not be an issue, here is what we were tuning up today

I9lNp1F.jpg

My 4x4 partner/mechanic roommate had a 300$ Turbo add on project for a Miata. It was good times, just need to get the timing dialed in.

@Tim, no I picked it up in Vermont, the seller imported the engine in June from the U.K, but unfortunately ran into some personal finance problems.

Quebec Kid

Quick update, picture to come soon.

Yesterday the 19J was pulled out, and the bay pressure washed. Terrific to see the frame in great shape on the front end, with only a few small spots of surface rust that needed a quick prep and paint. On the back end, pulled out most of the old carpeting and seats, will be pulling out the headliner too to add interior lighting and run wiring to the back of the truck for back-up lights.

Put new speakers in, the ones that came with the truck were non functioning and pulled out a whooping 30 peek amps amps. Re-wired 5.25 inch Nakamichi's (music is a must, it's the only excuse for not letting a friend of ours practice his guitar skills in the car), need to make new mounts for them, since the previous ones were 4 inch.

Project creep set in; fiddling with dash board caused us to take the hole thing apart. Decided to re-do almost 75% of the wiring in place, change all the bulbs behind the instruments and wire red/white LED strips to light the dash compartment, wire LED for co-pilot light too. That being said and done, we then fiddled with an un-collaborative window, and fixed up a few nicks in the now scattered dash board.

It hit us that we had hardly did anything regarding the engine in hours, so we backed up the pick-up and pulled it out of it's shipping box. We really got to have a good look at it and are very happy with it's condition. Getting it from the gravel/mud/dead leafs driveway to the concrete garage floor was, however quite a challenge. Nearly took us a half hour to get it over 7 feet. After that it was to little too late, we set it down and will resume work tomorrow.

meatblanket

Adventurer
I subscribed to this thread to see how the Disco 200tdi works in a LHD 110, and now you're fiddling with the stereo while the replacement engine is sitting on the driveway.:Wow1:

I'm kidding of course, but also looking forward to what comes next. Maybe now would be a good time for some new carpeting?

Quebec Kid

Hahah agreed meatblanket, we sort of went what the hell too.

Here are some of the pics.

Jee Pee and Karl
BecgUMy.jpg

rX6kKyL.jpg

JPMhtU9.jpg

The uncollaborative piece of press wood we used as flooring when the engine lift sank in the mud. Broke through multiple times.
5LM5uxK.jpg

Quebec Kid

In other news, my daily driver is having a hard time (flashing CEL on the very last km of my morning commute, possible misfire, no tools/no will to fix it, will run OBD on monday) so I had to spend the day at the office vs only attending my morning meeting and working on the truck all day.

Just got home and am gearing up for a dreaded evening of wire brushing the frame. Afterwards, clean up and POR15 Metal Prep. When I get up tomorrow I hope to apply the stuff. I know it's not the best, painting a frame with the body still on, but it's in better shape then we thought (hurray for protected storage). We might pull the body apart when we have it painted in the winter (any paint shop recommendation in Quebec?), or leave it as in and in a couple of years get a galvanised chassis from Rover North; so cool to be within driving distance and not deal with cross border shipping.

Will also take the time to put in some carpeting. I was thinking of setting down some 2mm rubber matting to dampen the noise, then cover it. Most of the car will be carpet, but I was thinking of laying down a sheet of diamond plate in back and on the foot-wells up front for easy cleaning (we usually hop in the car in full wading gear and I rotted out my previous car). Any suggestions? Was also thinking of replacing rear door planel with checker plate, the factory panel is in bad shape, should I buy it or have it made locally?

Last edited:

Quebec Kid

Hello guys,

sorry I let this post die for a while. I din't want to post a day by day thing until the engine was in and working. The last few weeks have been busy, at the day job and on the truck, but now I think were onto something!

10557058_865240693508502_4653155244665551716_o.jpg

First off, progress was much slower than expected, mostly because we are doing the switch/work in my old man's garange and the closes decent part's shop is in the next town over. Meaning that if even a bolt is missing, it will take 1h to get.
On top of things, the switch gave us a few minor, but time consuming mistakes. Here, I must specify that this is a LHD, power steering truck. The disco engine was out of god knows what, but everything is on the left hand side. I'll do a separate, full post on the switch for the LHD when my buddy is here to make sure we cover the most aspects as we can.

First off the pulley wheel for the steering pump was a few mils too big and to fit, so we pulled the old one off the 19J, that the correct size, but to shallow (the belt was out of alignment), so we has to shim it.

10284564_865240690175169_3355427412098440443_o.jpg

As expected, turbo was hitting the drive column, so, we inverted the column, moving the collapsible knob away from the turbo. We then clocked the turbo.

10714499_865240696841835_3319654908149090521_o.jpg

A very happy Karl.

10011899_865240773508494_6863278599404733857_o.jpg

After that was the down pipe. Engine came with a custom made one, but it was a few mils to long. Out came the cutting disk.

10431235_865240816841823_105479136063498182_o.jpg

The intercooler wouldn't fit either as it's lines would hit the air filter, it too met the cutting wheel and was clock. Had it welded by a guy in town not the prettiest weld, but prices were good and it will hold up!

10388074_865240930175145_8307568690275490011_n.jpg

I read that some folks moved the air filter around, but we thought this might be a better solution.

Quebec Kid

Part deux

The rest was a breeze, but it all ate up so much time! Working with 27 year old fuel lines, electrical wiring and bolts as its own set of rules. We re-did the vast majority of the lines and fitting since we're at it. The rad lines had to be 8 inches longer, we had them custom made at a local hydraulic shop.

1507142_865240850175153_4381886631579894893_n.jpg

Re-wired a whole bunch of stuff!

1507598_865240830175155_3019043787225886978_n.jpg

Other issue we had was the fuel filter housing, 200TDI only has two plugs, 19J has 3 (or 4? can't recall for some reason, anyways). We sealed the unused ones for now, the proper filter housing should be in a week from now. We also mixed up the in and out, d'oh. In unrelated to engine news, the frame has yet to be painted, cold weather (had a decent amount of snow this morning!) is postponing that part of the job. Changed the instrument lighting to LED, let there be light! Cleaned up the dash, pulled out the door panels, and will change a few hinges.Doors are a mess, will need to be fixed.

Rear wiper motor is out of order, and also a b****. Same thing for the pump, and willing to bet the lines are going to leak when we get the thing started.

Being a little anal, decided to take apart the hood frame, dam thing was rusted pretty bad, cleaned it, painted it, took the time to paint the inside of the hood while I was at it and cleaned out all the components. Just finished putting it back together. Have a few feet of LED strips somewhere, might rig that up.

What's next?

Ordering a Raptor dash board console, just got to figure out the layout I want (I'll stick a few sensors in there for troubleshooting). Getting some Hella 4000's for the Bull Bar. Also looking at options for a roof rack (or a roll cage, roof bars combo) to mount a RTT and 4 Hella 500's I picked up for dirt cheap. Picking up some Hella 550 (for dirt cheap too) to mount as rear lights. Rear suspension is shot, might as well change the whole thing, undecided regarding brand/model, also undecided about pollybush. Might double up the battery to run all the junk I'm sticking on it... Oh! Decided to risk my life in the basement for a few hours (or was it days?!) and found the snorkle my dad bought way back when, also found the pull strap he was so desperately looking for. After that? Well the body looks like c**p, not that the looks are super important, but everything is exposed and is slowly rotting away. Then what you might ask? I dunno there won't be much left, hopfully I'll get to drive it before it bankrupts me and they seize it.

Voila!

Ohlins

Good luck with your build.

Have a wee peep here as it may help.....

All the best.

As an aside I'd fit a reinforced clutch fork (or weld a plate over the existing fork)before installing the engine along with any clutch parts....these have a habbit of piercing through (see pic in the link...)

http://www.paddockspares.com/ftc2957hd-heavy-duty-clutch-release-fork.html

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ine-into-a-LHD-Defender?p=1710164#post1710164

Part numbers/diagrams

http://workshop-manuals.com/landrover/

http://www.allbrit.de/NAV.cfm?SPRACHE=EN&PAGE=338364

http://lrcat.com/

http://www.mytonautomotive.com/products/newspares.php?make=Land Rover&model=Defender

You'll also need some of this.....

lucas.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Quebec Kid

A lot has gone down in the past few weeks. The 200TDi is now 100% fully installed and running,

1957785_875560362476535_3791202544019037593_o.jpg

took the rover out a lot in the evenings or at night all over the country side by my place.

10682384_875560369143201_6991608920437307230_o.jpg

Fitting the Disco engine was fun but harder and longer than we expected, granted with the gear and parts we had on hand. Performance is a hundred times better than the old 19J! Once we were done with the engine we went ahead and fully insulated the headlines and flooring with a mix of CCF insulation and aluminium insulation. Did all the trick spots with aluminium tape. Unfortunately, no pictures for this part of the project.

Through sheer luck I was browsing local classifieds and found a guy selling an Overland tent. Called him up and drove straight to his place on my lunch break. He was willing to let it go for 750$ if he did not have to put it back in storage that day!

10446280_875560409143197_127450279743686577_o.jpg

Then we had fun times with British electrical engineering! We were wrapping up and a puff of magic smoke rose from the fuse box area. My buddy dropped a live wire. Things started to go south. At first the systems seemed fine other than the LED started to flicker. We went out for a few drinks out of town with the 110 and the headlights died out, leaving us only with the high beam working. After sleeping a night outside FUBAR turned on us. Stuff that was supposed to go ON woudn't, while stuff that wasn't supposed to have power would. We traced it back to a bad ground, previous owner redid the frame ground with two intertwined 10 gauge, great. Fixed that, but then the front end of the FUBAR went dark!

10547981_875560372476534_3500459208227102676_o.jpg

We had to undo the whole dash, worked through the night and by 4am we were up and running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94