Seriously Considering a 2006-2007 100 series

spammer

I'm about to break down and sell my Defender for a 2006-7 Land Cruiser. I'm targeting the last couple years for the rear backup camera and hoping to find a lower mileage Land Cruiser.

It is hard for me to switch from a Land Rover, but I'd like your thoughts.

Right now, I can't get my family in my Defender, and I'm not really a solo guy. Would rather have an overland vehicle that everyone can enjoy.

I am interested in LR3-LR4 and hear their reliability is much improved over the Disco II. But the Land Cruiser is way way more reliable still. I test drove one and the engine looked brand new. Not a drop of oil. That's weird coming from Land Rovers.

What should I look for when shopping? I'd like a low mileage version, but if these last forever anyway, maybe it doesn't matter? Right now there is a 40k mile 100 for $32k, and 100k mile 100's for around $21-25k.

I'd like to keep it under $30k for the vehicle, less the price of an ARB and possibly rock sliders. Those are the only modifications I plan on doing at first. What can I get with this budget?

Also, I test drove one with the air suspension. I'm a fan of the soft ride. I'll probably keep it stock with the air suspension until it goes out and then look at options. I don't need huge tires.

Last question, MPG? What's the best these can do on road trips. I'll drive 3k miles a few times a year which is the main reason I care. I'll probably put 20k per year on the vehicle.

Thanks!

CYK

Adventurer
I'm actually coming from a 2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography and now own a 2014 LC so I have some perspective in terms of moving from the LR marque over to Toyota. IIRC the Range Rover Sport and LR4 are essentially the same and I'll tell you that it wasn't reliable for me as the first owner having driven off lot w/ 10 miles on the odo. at around 6K miles, the suspension triggered a fault, left me stranded w/ my dad and sister in tow, and the dealer told me to come back if it happens again because it fixed itself. This is a risk I'm not willing to take and I lost faith in the vehicle. Even the latest JD Power reliability studies show that they fall near the bottom of the charts. Bye.

My simple advice is this: buy the newest, lowest mileage, minimal number of owners vehicle that fits within your budget.

I actually considered a 2006-7 LC several years ago prior to the RRS. I ended up with the latter as it was really hard to find a former that wasn't beat to death by soccermoms. I'm definitely on the anal-retentive end of the scale when it comes to condition so please consider my decision making process w/ a grain of salt.

By my read of the forums, AHC is definitely less cantankerous than the fully air suspended 2010+ LR4/RRS. You regularly hear of AHC folks going six fig miles and they're still rolling on original parts whereas in LR land, they seem to barely last the life of the 3yr/36K mile lease so popular with their customer base. It's almost like a throw-away car; a rental. I rarely read up on electronic bugs and other annoying fixes like window regulators. the 2uzfe is a heckuva silky workhorse mated to the updated 5-speed transmission. toyota's both celebrated and castigated for their conservatism. i think you guys know who i choose to party w/.

Land Cruiser also has a much bigger parts and owner ecosystem! it's really half the fun of owning one of these things.

I'd expect an avg ~14-15mpg sipping on prem fuel. When you add weight, it'll trend down to 12-13.

temple

Adventurer
It will be the smartest decision you ever made. Maintenance will be like replacing a battery, even when it is high mileage.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I wouldn't worry too much about going from Rover to Cruiser. You will love it! As others have/will say, mileage isn't as important as maintenance and condition. It's crazy when you see the difference in value on used LR products with similar TLC product. One of my contractors just sold his super clean '04 Disco for less than $4,000. A super clean '04 100 series goes for $24,000 +/- in my area. I feel a bit silly having paid what I did for my '99 TLC, but with the records and mods it had I don't think I overpaid.

texascrane

Adventurer
I bought an 06 LX470 with just under 100k earlier this year. One thing to note is that the AHC suspension is actually hydraulic. I've been surprised by how much I like it. That said, if you're planning on adding bumpers/sliders there seems to be varying opinions on how it holds up. Some people have swapped in the springs/torsion bars from the regular suspension to offset the increased weight and take some of the pressure off of the system. Others have left it alone for years before it had issues. The majority though usually swap it out for a standard set up either when they add the armor or when it fails.

You'll want to pick up one of these so that you can read the pressure specs and adjust some of the other settings like daytime running lights, auto-exit seat recall, etc. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9B32J4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, as an FYI, the one "weak-point" on the 06-07 models is the secondary-air induction system (it's an emissions system that doesn't have anything to do with how the engine functions). While the failure rate seems to be pretty low on the land cruiser, that system has been a issue on the Tundras and Sequoias. Mine happened to fail right after I purchased it. It's an expensive fix at a dealer ($3k plus). That said, there's a plug-in module that can bypass it for less than $150. That's the route I went. I wrote a post about it over on mud: http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/06-07-air-induction-pump-failure-bypass.814912/

There's also a DIY solution if you don't mind cutting/splicing wiring harnesses.

I don't currently have any armor on my vehicle, but I did go up to 33" tires. I get about 13 mpg around town. On the highway if I'm at 75+, it gets around 15-16 mpg. At 65 or so, it gets 17-18+ mpg.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
I'm about to break down and sell my Defender for a 2006-7 Land Cruiser. I'm targeting the last couple years for the rear backup camera and hoping to find a lower mileage Land Cruiser.

It is hard for me to switch from a Land Rover, but I'd like your thoughts.

Right now, I can't get my family in my Defender, and I'm not really a solo guy. Would rather have an overland vehicle that everyone can enjoy.

I am interested in LR3-LR4 and hear their reliability is much improved over the Disco II. But the Land Cruiser is way way more reliable still. I test drove one and the engine looked brand new. Not a drop of oil. That's weird coming from Land Rovers.

What should I look for when shopping? I'd like a low mileage version, but if these last forever anyway, maybe it doesn't matter? Right now there is a 40k mile 100 for $32k, and 100k mile 100's for around $21-25k.

I'd like to keep it under $30k for the vehicle, less the price of an ARB and possibly rock sliders. Those are the only modifications I plan on doing at first. What can I get with this budget?

Also, I test drove one with the air suspension. I'm a fan of the soft ride. I'll probably keep it stock with the air suspension until it goes out and then look at options. I don't need huge tires.

Last question, MPG? What's the best these can do on road trips. I'll drive 3k miles a few times a year which is the main reason I care. I'll probably put 20k per year on the vehicle.

Thanks!

If it were me, I'd go 06/07 with 100k and spend the 10k on mods and gas. Just make sure the 90k mile service has been done.

spammer

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I am 100% sure the Land Cruiser is a better vehicle from just about every aspect except maybe looks.

I have been watching videos of how it handles Moab. Looks like it can do very well with a front and rear bumper. It's a big vehicle though compared to a RRC which I'm sure is much more nimble on the trails.

I think I just need to "let go" of the green oval. I'm going to sleep on it a few days, but may put some vehicles up for sale soon. Wife thinks it is time to make the switch.

CYK

Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. I am 100% sure the Land Cruiser is a better vehicle from just about every aspect except maybe looks.

I have been watching videos of how it handles Moab. Looks like it can do very well with a front and rear bumper. It's a big vehicle though compared to a RRC which I'm sure is much more nimble on the trails.

I think I just need to "let go" of the green oval. I'm going to sleep on it a few days, but may put some vehicles up for sale soon. Wife thinks it is time to make the switch.

Land Cruisers look better!

spammer

That's a nice truck, but I think classics belong in the Louve. Toyotas are bland in styling. That also seems to be the reason they age so well. I like the look of all cruisers. But I will always love the look of classic Range Rovers.

This is probably the direction I would go minus the roof rack:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Looking at Defenders make me feel all funny in my trousers, but owning one would make me feel all funny in my wallet.

Go 100. You won't regret it. I've also found aftermarket back-up cameras quite affordable, so don't worry too much about a later model year.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I see D110s and Series LRs around and they just look goofy to me, same with Disco 1 and 2.

Now the LR3/LR4 I like.

As for the 100, if I was shopping I would try to find a 2003+ for the five speed transmission. For the price of a 2007 I'd be looking at an early 200 series at that point I think.

2¢, ymmv

CYK

Adventurer
root is right. The 200 series is a serious upgrade in every way to the 100 as it should be with toyotas top engineers working on it exclusively w a significantly longer Dev cycle.

If you're in socal you're free to drive mine. It'll ruin you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online