Point Five Ambo Build

patoz

Expedition Leader
Welcome Elbert, to my build thread!

When I first started on this project, I was looking at doing something similar to what your plans are, but the trailer was only going to be long enough to hold the ambulance module (patient compartment) and maybe a little for a rear deck area.

This is the module I first located on ebay. It was sitting in a junkyard in Florence, AL, which is about six hours from me, and I did not have a trailer big enough to haul it. Plus, the guy wanted $3,000.00 for it, and I had no way of knowing what kind of condition it was in, or how long it had been sitting there open like that. That was just too big of a risk for me to drive all that way, towing a rented trailer, and then find out it was too far gone. I see now, it sold recently for less than $1,500.00.

Amb Box - 01.JPG

Amb Box - 03.JPG

My plan was to build some raised supports on the trailer bed to simulate the original ambulance frame, and mount the body to those. I was afraid if I just sat the body down on the trailer bed, the stress would eventually crack the compartment framing and sheet metal, and allow them to leak.

I also considered changing the wheel well opening from round to rectangular, and adding a matching door to make additional compartments for storing things like chocks, leveling blocks, and other dirty stuff. And in case you're not familiar with these bodies, there is a 4' wide x 1' high (approx.) 'tunnel' that runs down the center from front to back. This is where the frame sits. That can also be used as storage or a place to locate your water tanks, etc. You'll just have to figure out how to access it, possibly through openings in the trailer bed.

Good luck with your build and post your thread URL on here, so I can subscribe and keep up also. Putting it in your signature line helps too.

Since we're basically headed in the same direction, we'll probably come up with ideas that will help each other out.

patoz

Expedition Leader
The last few days I been working on locating suitable replacements for the Whelen side scene/work lights as mine have deteriorated beyond being usable. I have another set which was given to me by another member on here (thanks Alex) but although the bezels (900 series) and most of the reflectors are good enough to reuse, the lenses are not and they are an oddball model (9E) that Whelen produced for a short while. I have a halogen bulb for each one of them, but halogen bulbs dim down over their lifespan (which these have), produce a lot of heat, and draw a lot of current. Also, trying to find Whelen parts, such as the clear optical lenses, at a reasonable cost has been a nightmare.

Since I'm building a camper trailer and not a complete vehicle, amperage draw is critical so LED is the logical choice. Whelen makes a LED scene/work light which is a direct replacement, but at approximately $350.00 each, this isn't going to happen, especially when I need up to 6 units (two for each side and two for the rear).

p.php

This is an awesome unit at 6500 Lumen output, but the 6 amp draw is pretty healthy when you're operating directly off of battery power like I will be. It’s also sealed and waterproof, and has a five year warranty. Another advantage is, this light unit is designed to do exactly what we need them to do, which is light an area around the ambulance, including right up to the side of the vehicle.

But considering the price, I started looking at other alternatives. I found these Rigid Industries Flush Mount Diffused LED units which put out an unbelievable 1568 Raw Lumens of light for their size (just under 5" x 4" O.D.), only draw 1.1 amp each, and are about a third of the price of the Whelen units. Considering we are using these for camping and not trying to light up an accident vehicle in a ditch 200’ away, I believe two of these on each side would do the job fine. BTW, these are the same units Chris at U-joint Off Road installs in the rear bumpers for back up lights.

app_RIG_51151_d-series-flush-led-light.jpg

They also make a 15° Wedge Mount. I just hope this combination will have enough downward throw to be useful next to the ambulance body.

41SVzZEYauL.jpg

The only problem with these lights is the 3 3/16" depth, when the walls of my ambulance are only 2" deep. I'm hoping the added thickness of the wedge, and an idea I have of mounting them on a polished aluminum plate, which is mounted on the chrome Whelen bezel in place of a lens, will give me the required depth clearance. But, more on that later if it works.

I did a lot more research and found several Youtube videos comparing the different models and actually showed the light patterns. I believe the Model 21150 - 60° Diffused Pattern is the one to go with.

BTW, if you haven't seen their Torture Test video, here it is. I was looking at some much cheaper Chinese knock-off stuff, but this convinced me otherwise. When it comes to rugged electronics, you definitely get what you pay for!

I think I'll order a set to test, and if they won't do the job they will just end up on my F250 which needs a good set of back up lights anyway.

Abitibi

Explorer
I had to deal with the same dilemma and found these thin 5" square light that push over 2000 lumens and only draw 1.6 Amps. They are less than 2" thick, perfect in most case. At $50 each and excellent warranty (check their torture test...) they were a no brainer!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-heavy-duty-high-powered-led-work-light/1225/

I'm building a sealed aluminum box to mount them within the existing hole from the previous lights. It might take me a while before I'm done with it but I'll post an update as I go along.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Yeah, Rigid has recessed boxes for their pedestal mount lights also, but they are about 5" deep, so they are no help.

I wish we had a way to measure all of these lights side by side, under the exact same circumstances, so we could make intelligent decisions on which to buy for our needs. But, the manufacturers probably wouldn't like that too much, since it would make a lot of their products look bad by comparison.

I'll be looking forward to see what you come up with. :)

rlrenz

Explorer
My ambulance was built with a 120 volt quartz halogen flood light on the passenger's side, and a 250 watt on the driver's side - both in addition to the 12 volt scene lights. They were run from the Vanner inverter. I now have a set of $29.95 LED worklights from Super Bright LEDs in their place. I went from 750 watts to 30 watts. Not as bright, but a heck of a lot less fiddling around, plus they do the job just fine. They may be upgraded in the future to higher wattage, but not right now.

If you have patience, Whelen LED side lights, or their equivalent, pop up on E BAY from time to time. Other emergency vehicle brands to look for are Tec-Niq, Code-3, Sound-off, and Federal Signal. Take-off Whelen 900-series reflectors are available from Foster Coach for $15 as well. The 7x9" size is fairly universal among ambulance builders, so they pop up on the used market fairly often.

patoz

Expedition Leader
If you have patience, Whelen LED side lights, or their equivalent, pop up on E BAY from time to time. Other emergency vehicle brands to look for are Tec-Niq, Code-3, Sound-off, and Federal Signal. Take-off Whelen 900-series reflectors are available from Foster Coach for $15 as well. The 7x9" size is fairly universal among ambulance builders, so they pop up on the used market fairly often.

Good morning Bob!

As the saying goes...'Been there, done that!', and still doing it. I've been looking and watching ebay, along with ambulance rebuilders, salvage companies, junk yards, etc. since I got the thing, which was about two years ago. Also, people on this forum have been a great help in locating things for it. One of the problems I find, especially on ebay is, once I find something at a good price, they don't have enough of the items to do the job, or they have the lens but not in the right color, or they have the, lens but no gaskets, etc. Once you locate all the pieces and parts, possibly from five or six sellers, you now have to add multiple shipping charges. Once you finally come up with a total price per item, you now multiply that by eight or ten because an ambulance doesn't have just one or two of anything (this is really what kills you)! And when it's all said and done, you don't have a warranty on anything to fall back on if it breaks.

I'm not without skills or lazy when it comes to fabricating things, but I don't have the proper welders, sheet metal tools, etc. or a shop to work in, so I have to pay someone else to build it for me, and that gets very expensive as well as flustrating.

So, at this point I'm looking for ready made items that I can just bolt on, with little or no modification, and wire it up. But, at the same time I want it to look professional and like it belongs there, and not a Frankensteined add-on.

The Rigid lights are a little bit expensive especially when you need multiple units, but they are as you say, 'built like a brick phone booth' and would probably never need replacing in what's left of my life time. BTW, they do come in a white marine version that has a more corrosion resistant primer under the powdercoat, for about $30.00 more.

bobrenz

Observer
LED scene lights are out there, but anything made for emergency vehicles will always cost more. I tracked down a full set of 7 led ceiling lights (TecNiq) at a very nice price after a lot of searching. I'm looking for led scene lights, but I'll keep my existing halogen lights while the search is on.

patoz

Expedition Leader
My existing ones are the very old 97 Series with no bezels, and are faded, crazed, and cracked to the point of probably letting a little water in during a hard rain storm, so I need to do something about them pretty quick.

Now, that I got my Monday morning rant out of the way and had an energy drink, I'm looking at the specs of the ones Abitibi posted above.

attachment.php

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-heavy-duty-high-powered-led-work-light/1225/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ered-led-work-light/1225/#/tab/Specifications

At 1.855" thick, they would easily fit completely within the 2" walls or if bezels were used in conjunction, give you room to tilt them downward. Considering these are much cheaper @ $50.00, I may order a set these first to test and play with. Again, they can always be used somewhere else if they don't work out.

rlrenz

Explorer
I think the same way - I will buy one of something so I can check it out. My scene lights are 7x9", so a set of these could be fiddled into the same housings. I can polish my lenses, and the frames, etc can be reused. I'll probably buy one and see what can be fiddled out to install it in a 7x9 housing -- maybe sheet metal, molded fiberglass, cast filled polyester (boat stuff)

Since I'm not planning to live on batteries, I'm not as worried about halogen lighting outside the buggy.

Do a Google search for ambulance dealers who do remounts - they are the most likely to have something used in their collection, though there si always a line for LED lighting.

By the way - check out Foster Coach (http://www.fostercoach.com) for takeout scene light fixtures and used lenses. Ron runs their parts department, and they bought out at least one ambulance builder's parts inventory, so they probably have stuff that hasn't made it onto the web page yet.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I have a full set of 9e flanges and gaskets from another ambulance that just need to be polished.

I thought about using an old reflector as a template, and cutting out new flat lenses made out of Lexan or something similar, as long as it's UV resistant. Mount it all together and this would create a watertight 'window' minus the reflector, over the openings where the scene lights go. Then just mount something like the weather-proof Superbright LEDs above in the wall on a right angled bracket. If done right, this would look very similar to the original lights but just flat instead of bubble shaped.

The only problem I can see, might be the light loss from refraction as the light passes through the Lexan at an angle, if they were aimed downward.

Whacha think?

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
No, they're too far gone inside and out, plus they are brittle and cracking.

I just found an absolute deal on some brand new clear optic and non-optic lenses at $14.95 apiece! Only problem is...the company only has one of each. :) I may order them anyway, just for the hell of it.

rlrenz

Explorer
Pat - here are some places to check with - I don't know if all of them are into used ambulance parts, but you might ask them if they have any suggestions. They probably know someone in the business.

---ambulanceparts.com
---selecttechambulances.com
---10-99.com
---lightbarliquidators.com
---lightbars.net
---tlsemergencyequipment.com
---swps.com (southwest public safety Co.)

patoz

Expedition Leader
Thanks Bob!

Three on that list I already have bookmarked, but I'll check out the others also.

I went ahead and ordered those two lenses last night just to have something to experiment with, and they have shipped already. Here is the company I got them from in case you want to add them to your list. http://www.lonestarpublicsafety.com/ .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior