Point Five Ambo Build

patoz

Expedition Leader
A little more progress this past weekend...

We built this beam to span the the front opening and give the two panels of Diamond Deck aluminum some backing and a way to screw it all together.

HPIM1323.jpg

It consist of one piece of 2" x 2" x 1/8" square box tubing, and one piece of 2" x 2" x 1/8" angle screwed together, with two 2" x 2" x 2" brackets screwed to each end to attached it to the vertical wall studs on either side of the cab opening. I don't have the capability to weld aluminum yet, and I wanted to be able to remove it later on if need be, so I elected to put it all together using #12 x 5/8" and #12 x 3/4" stainless screws.

Front side.

HPIM1327.jpg

Back side.

HPIM1328.jpg

HPIM1329.jpg

HPIM1330.JPG

HPIM1331.jpg

HPIM1332.jpg

HPIM1333.JPG

HPIM1334.JPG

HPIM1335.JPG

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I just came across this new style of air mattress, and thought I'd post it in case anyone else may be interested. An air mattress is not my first choice when it comes to sleeping comfortably, but as a backup in the camper or on a cot it would probably do great.

Windcatcher AirPad 2

patoz

Expedition Leader
Just a quick update on my build, which is pretty much at a standstill right now. I'm in the process of doing some much needed home repair work, and the build has had to take a back seat to that for now.

Even though I'm not working on it in the daytime, doesn't mean my brain and plastic card isn't working on it at night. Here are some of the items I've researched and purchased to go in it when I get to that point. I've also purchased a lot of supplies and a few speciality tools I needed also.

1. Rigid Industries 1100 Lemen 1x2 65º DC Scene Light - I ordered two for testing and if they work out, I'll order four more.

86620_Scene_DC_1x2_White_Angle.jpg

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/86620

2. Magnum/Dimensions 2000W 12VDC Pure Sine Inverter Charger - This is a 2,000 Watt Inverter/100 Amp, Four Stage, Charger combination.

MS_series_5x7-1024x731.jpg

Owner's Manual - http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/64-0007-Rev-D-MS-Series_Web.pdf

http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/product-inverter/2000w-12vdc-pure-sine-inverter-charger

3. Magnum/Dimensions MMP Series - Mini Magnum Panel - The MMP (Mini Magnum Panel) is an inclusive panel designed to work with one Magnum MS inverter / charger. It combines all of the major components required, all of the AC and DC breakers needed, inverter/battery disconnect, AC overcurrent protection, grounding connections, and a full-system bypass switch (automatic transfer switch) into one pre-wired enclosure. Note! This picture shows the inverter above, and the Remote Control below, already installed.

MMP_mini-magnum-panel_5x7-731x1024_1.jpg

Owner's Manual - http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagDocs/64-0029-Rev-D-Mini-Magnum-Panel_Web.pdf

http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/renewable-energy-products/interconnection-system-equipment

4. Magnum/Dimensions ME-RC Remote Control - The large LCD screen and at-a-glance LEDs display the inverter/charger status in a straightforward way. Soft keys give simple access to menus and a rotary encoder knob makes it easy to quickly scroll through menus and select settings.

ME-ARC50_Magnum_Inverter_Remote_ME-RC50_solar__88113_zoom.jpg

Owner's Manual - http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagDocs/64-0003-Rev-G-ME-RC_Web.pdf

http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/mobile-power-products/remote-controls

5. Magnum/Dimensions ME-BMK Battery Monitor Kit - This is a single battery bank amp-hour meter that monitors and provides important information about the condition of the battery. This information will let you know how much energy you have available, and let you plan your electrical usage to ensure the battery is not being over-discharged.

Magnum-ME-BMK-2.jpg

Owner's Manual - http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/sites/default/files/MagDocs/64-0013-Rev-A-ME-BMK.pdf

http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...ocs/BMK_batterymonitorkit_data_sheet_revc.pdf

I can't wait until I get to this part of the build. Installing this kind of stuff is something I really enjoy!

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
:drool: on the Magnum P.I. goodies. :)

I was going to design and build all of that myself using various componets, but when I came across their stuff it was a no brainer. What they have is a modular integrated system. You can go as big or as small as you need to, and everything is designed to work with all of the other components. They even have a solar charge controller that I will probably install later when I add solar panels. A couple of other things I like about the Magnum Products is their Instruction Manuals and their Tech Support. The manuals are the best I've ever seen, with clear, concise instructions and explanations, along with beautiful color diagrams and pictures in PDF that can also be downloaded in full size pages. None of this Chinese miniature booklet crap that you couldn't read even if you had a microscope. I've only called Tech Support once to ask some questions before purchasing, but the lady I spoke with was very knowledgeable and professional, and was prepared to spend as much time needed to answer any questions I had.

I know it's overkill for a camper that's only 12.5' long, but I live in hurricane alley so I'm building this thing to not only use for camping, but to serve as a bug out or command post trailer also. Besides running just my own camping appliances, I'm going to have communications equipment, a computer system, and a weather station onboard. Also, I may need to supply power to someone else in a bind.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I was going to design and build all of that myself using various componets, but when I came across their stuff it was a no brainer. What they have is a modular integrated system. You can go as big or as small as you need to, and everything is designed to work with all of the other components. They even have a solar charge controller that I will probably install later when I add solar panels. A couple of other things I like about the Magnum Products is their Instruction Manuals and their Tech Support. The manuals are the best I've ever seen, with clear, concise instructions and explanations, along with beautiful color diagrams and pictures in PDF that can also be downloaded in full size pages. None of this Chinese miniature booklet crap that you couldn't read even if you had a microscope. I've only called Tech Support once to ask some questions before purchasing, but the lady I spoke with was very knowledgeable and professional, and was prepared to spend as much time needed to answer any questions I had.

I know it's overkill for a camper that's only 12.5' long, but I live in hurricane alley so I'm building this thing to not only use for camping, but to serve as a bug out or command post trailer also. Besides running just my own camping appliances, I'm going to have communications equipment, a computer system, and a weather station onboard. Also, I may need to supply power to someone else in a bind.

Fantastic! Difficult to determine a value for companies like this who have their isht together, but the value is very high IMHO!!

Oooh, bug out/command post--you have my attention Pat. Looking forward to see this progress!

patoz

Expedition Leader
Their stuff is a little pricey, but having a system that is used in commercial as well as residential and high end RV applications, is proven to work well together, and has a warranty, makes it worth a lot more to me. When you cobble a bunch of different manufacturer's components together, you're bound to have problems down the road, unless you're an expert at this kind of thing, which I am not. And when you do have a problem with your homemade system, who do you call? Each one of the manufacturers is going to blame the problem on the others. Of course, if you let the evil gray smoke out of one specific component, then that is a different situation.

If you haven't already, you should take a look at my friend Bob's build, 'The FAM-BULANCE'. He is the Sensei when it comes to building these things! We bounce ideas and products off of each other almost daily, and I have learned a lot from him.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Their stuff is a little pricey, but having a system that is used in commercial as well as residential and high end RV applications, is proven to work well together, and has a warranty, makes it worth a lot more to me. When you cobble a bunch of different manufacturer's components together, you're bound to have problems down the road, unless you're an expert at this kind of thing, which I am not. And when you do have a problem with your homemade system, who do you call? Each one of the manufacturers is going to blame the problem on the others. Of course, if you let the evil gray smoke out of one specific component, then that is a different situation.

If you haven't already, you should take a look at my friend Bob's build, 'The FAM-BULANCE'. He is the Sensei when it comes to building these things! We bounce ideas and products off of each other almost daily, and I have learned a lot from him.

Pat, if you're not an expert with the electrical then I'm not even below a beginner!
I'll check out Bob's Fambulance, thanks!

bobrenz

Observer
Pat, the good news / bad news is that I used to restore military equipment for an Army museum, so I spend a lot of time thinking before I do any building, and when I build, I usually follow the existing design as much as possible. This is why I have drawers full of the exact crimpers I need, why I stock rolls of the correct wire, why parts I buy are designed for ambulances, why I have just about any crimp terminal you could ever need, and why I have machine tools to make what I can't buy. My work is designed to be 100% correct as per the applicable govt. standards. It slows me down, but I always figure that the existing equipment was designed as it is for a reason

bobrenz

Observer
CJKEN -- Replacing brake lines is totally normal if your buggy is more than about 10 years old. Ambulances are parked in fire stations, usually over a floor drain. Things get washed often, and the humid environment eats brake lines. Buy some tubing and a double flaring tool, and replace all of it. You can use normal zinc plated tubing, or upgrade to stainless tubing.

One of my brake lines blew, so she went into the shop for new lines. As I recall, I spent just over $1000 for a 4x4 shop to do mine. Thst was about 70 ft of brake line for my Freightliner / Medic Master.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Are you ready for Christmas?

1969247_1076484392385699_1704366526427735651_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94