Supported EOSS this past weekend

EOSS (Edge of Space Sciences) launched a high altitude baloon with Science experiments from my son's school. Since my son is in the Ham Radio club we drove out to Deertrail Colorado to support the launch and it was awesome.
Preparing experiments
060.jpg
063.jpg
062.jpg
Launching the Hydrogen Balloon

Now we set up to chase using 70cm recovery net and APRS tracking
076.jpg
078.jpg
079.jpg
My son Matthew got to announce on the recovery net that the balloon had reached 104,000 feet in altitude
080.jpg

083.jpg

084.jpg

Attachments

• 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 5

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
That is great! I seem to remember reading somewhere that the STEM school also has a good amateur radio club! What great way to demonstrate one of the ways ham radio is still very fun and useful.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Congrats. If you get a chance to do it again be sure say hi to Jim, KC0RPS, for me.

If anyone is interested, they do launches periodically and are welcoming to newcomers. Next launch is 11/15/14 and they do them usually east of Windsor, CO.

Flight 202 (the one for the O.P.) rollup: http://www.eoss.org/node/1842

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
Cool use of APRS. Looks like everyone had a great time. Maybe some other kids (or adults) will become interested in amateur radio.

Tennmogger

Explorer
This is great coverage here. Thanks Expedition4x4! My grand son Logan is in that STEM school and in the ham club. He was unable to go to the launch.

EOSS is a great group. I was honored to participate while living in Littleton, EOSS flights 1 through about 150. It was more fun before APRS and GPS!

Bob WB4ETT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior