Honda or Yamaha generator?

Gravity

Observer
Looking at getting either a Honda EU1000i or the Yamaha EF1000is generator to top off the batteries in my Sportsmobile.

I only need to be able to top off the house batteries which run the fridge, lights and fan. I do not have a microwave or AC, hence my decision to go w/ a slightly smaller and lighter 1000 series vs the 2000+ generators.

does anyone have any real world experience w/ either of these two generators? Pros/cons.... Solar would be nice but cost is an issue and w/ all the snow we get out here I would be concerned about the panels on the roof. Realistically I'll only need to use the generator 3-4 trips a yr where I will be parked for more than 3+ days in one spot, otherwise driving will handle the re-charge.

Thanks

-d

Carlyle

Explorer
I currently have a Yamaha 3000 watt gen set that runs on propane. It's very nice quiet and heavy at 150 lbs. With our new camper we just got I'll be picking up a 1000 watt generator this summer to augment solar on gray days and will go with the Yamaha. I looked closely at the Honda as it is a little cheaper, but there are so many consumer complaints out there about longevity of this unit that Ive been scared off a little. In addition, I will have it converted to propane from the start and run it off camper propane. On propane and proper maintenance, these units will last many years more than on gasoline.

http://www.propane-generators.com/

Just my 1.5 cents worth

toy_tek

Adventurer
Interesting, I hadn't heard about consumer complaints with the Honda. Are the negatives model specific? I've had my 2000 for 3 years and its a trusty piece of equipment. For topping batts I'm sure 1000 would be plenty, I use mine additionally for construction, home backup, etc.

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
The propane conversion is of interest to me. I've been looking at generators, but the cost (of course) and the fact that I would now have to carry a 3rd fuel, Diesel, Propane and now unleaded is holding me back. I would love to have all Diesel appliances to eliminate the need for propane as well... but for now it stays.

I know the Honda generators are known for the (relatively) quiet operation, does that continue when run on propane? How about Diesel, are there any *quiet* diesel generators around for a small application such as what we are discussing for expedition purposes?

Carlyle

Explorer
The complaints I read were directed only at the 1000 watt Honda and no other. Propane converted generators run as quiet as gas, but slightly cleaner. Onan is the big diesel generator company and I think they start around 3000 watts.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I have an EU1000 that I bought (very) used. It's a great generator- very tough, sips fuel, quiet, starts on the first pull every time...

chrismc

Adventurer
I've been researching this exact same topic, and found two factors that tipped the scale over to the Yamaha. First is the run-time per tank. While the fuel tank capacity is effectively the same (0.6gal Honda, 0.66gal Yamaha), the Yamaha runs significantly longer (12.0h @ 1/4 load) than the Honda (8.3h @ 1/4 load). Aside from refueling less often, this would indicate that the Yamaha uses about a third less fuel than the Honda (if my math is correct).

The other issue I came across is RF noise. Apparently, the Yamaha has much "cleaner" power than the Honda. RF noise would be a major issue if you plan to operate radio equipment from the generator, and could also cause problems with TV's, computers, or other electronic devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles