Howling Moon Rooftop Tents - Now available!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
We are excited to announce that we again have Howling Moon Roof Top Tents in stock!

large_25592_Stargazer.JPG

Howling Moon Roof Top Tents are quite simply the best your money can buy! With over 30 years experience, Howling Moon is the largest premier manufacturer of African-style roof top tents, and the No.1 choice for virtually every safari company and 4 x 4 rental outfitter in Southern Africa. Howling Moon designs have been much copied and never equaled for their materials choice and build quality, and their attention to detail and design. Howling Moon features the best fabric available, made in South Africa, and with every other component being made entirely in-house.

large_3522_StargazerWindows.jpg

In addition, Howling Moon is the original manufacturer with the unique “Stargazer” feature. Both Deluxe and Tourer Stargazer models have two two gigantic zippered and insect screened roof skylights that can be opened from the inside. You can choose between canvas, bug mesh, or both, to be opened or closed separately or together. The Tourer Stargazer also features a “loft” window over the ladder, allowing more light into the tent when needed.

If you have any questions, post up or feel free to give us a call at 866-507-4254

Willman

We are excited to announce that we again have Howling Moon Roof Top Tents in stock!
large_3522_StargazerWindows.jpg

In addition, Howling Moon is the original manufacturer with the unique “Stargazer” feature. Both Deluxe and Tourer Stargazer models have two two gigantic zippered and insect screened roof skylights that can be opened from the inside. You can choose between canvas, bug mesh, or both, to be opened or closed separately or together. The Tourer Stargazer also features a “loft” window over the ladder, allowing more light into the tent when needed.

Now that's what i'm talking about! RTT with a view to the stars!

flyingwil

Are these better than Eziawn? noticed you sell both brands.

It in the eye of the Beer Holder.. :coffeedrink: Honestly in my option there are 3 classifications of RTT's in the clam shell style (flip open):
  1. South African Made
  2. Australian Made
  3. Made in China

Of these the South African ones tend to be the Lamborghini and Ferrari's, where the Australian tend to be the Corvette's and the Chinese the Celica's and FRS's in relation to sports cars. In relation to comparing the Eezi-Awn to the Howling Moon I will try and cover some differences briefly:

Ladders - HM ladders are a tad thicker and have a rounded rung to make it easier on your feet barefoot, EA ladders are a bit thinner and more squared in design (we noticed the EA ladders are a bit noisier due to the internal springs for the latch)

Tent Base - HM uses a wooden ladder structure with foam/poly covered in an aluminium skin, an rails are bolted, EA uses a marine wooden sealed base that has the rails pop-rivited to the base.

Canvass - Both are very similar, and both claim to have better fabric, both are made out of Polyester/cotton ripstop material, Fluoro-carbon impregnated and coated

Mattress - HM tends to be about 1/2" thicker. I'm a side sleeper and I have not bottomed out on either HM or EA

Stargazer - Only HM has the Stagazer out of the two.

Thickness when folded up - HM is about 1.5" to 2.5" thicker (dending on how much is packed inside)

Feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.

enzo

Explorer
It in the eye of the Beer Holder.. :coffeedrink: Honestly in my option there are 3 classifications of RTT's in the clam shell style (flip open):
  1. South African Made
  2. Australian Made
  3. Made in China

You forgot about Maggiolinas which are made in Italy.:)

flyingwil

1. South African Made
  2. Australian Made
  3. Made in China

You forgot about Maggiolinas which are made in Italy.:)

Nope didn't forget about them, it just was not relevant to question as they are in a separate category. I tried to clarify that in the part where I said the clam shell style.

_Aaron_

Observer
flyingwil -

These seem like a great option and I'm interested.

Poked around your site a bit looking at the differences between the Touring and Deluxe models. I see that the Touring has the extended bit over the ladder and the ability to add an annex.

Are there differences in materials or functionality between the two? Also, do you have much experience with these in the rain? (Asks a guy from the PNW).

Thanks in advance for your time.

flyingwil

flyingwil -

These seem like a great option and I'm interested.

Poked around your site a bit looking at the differences between the Touring and Deluxe models. I see that the Touring has the extended bit over the ladder and the ability to add an annex.

Are there differences in materials or functionality between the two? Also, do you have much experience with these in the rain? (Asks a guy from the PNW).

Thanks in advance for your time.

Yeah, the naming is a bit backwards from what you'd think. There a basically two versions of each size tent... The Deluxe, and the Tourer. Basically in a nutshell the Deluxe versions are your classic style RTT with the ladder section exposed, and the Tourer has the covered ladder section for increased area when attaching the annex. Here is the canned info on the two:

large_25590_Deluxe-ROOFTOP.jpg

The Howling Moon Deluxe Roof Top Tent is in the traditional safari-style design. Built for the world's harshest conditions, but designed for your comfort. Featuring doors on each end and windows on each
side, access and ventilation is a breeze. The large doors have a full-length zipper and can roll up and secure with stick-and-loop fasteners. The windows have both bug mesh and canvas, which can be
removed separately or together. The canvas tent fabric is not secured to the base with rivets, but bymeans of aluminum extrusion, which means that the fabric can be removed at will from the baseboard.
The baseboard features the best strength-to-weight ratio available, and will never warp, crack or dry. Howling Moon also features the thickest mattress on the market, for your comfort in the outdoors. The
Deluxe Roof Top Tent includes aluminum ladder, mounting rails, rain fly, travel cover and all poles needed. Optional shower rooms attach below the tent, providing a 3-wall privacy enclosure.

large_25591_100220.jpg

The Howling Moon Tourer Roof Top Tent is in a class of its own. Built for the world's harshest conditions, but designed for your comfort. Featuring doors on each end and windows on each side, access and ventilation is a breeze. The large doors have a full-length zipper and can roll up and secure with stickand-loop fasteners. The windows have both bug mesh and canvas, which can be removed separately or together. The canvas tent fabric is not secured to the base with rivets, but by means of aluminum extrusion, which means that the fabric can be removed at will from the baseboard. The baseboard features the best strength-to-weight ratio available, and will never warp, crack or dry. Howling Moon also features the thickest mattress on the market, for your comfort in the outdoors. The extended body of the tent provides both cover for the ladder for access to the tent in inclement weather and allows forattachment of the optional annex. The annex provides over 50 sq. ft. of enclosed living space under the tent. Unlike our premier competitors, the Howling Moon annex includes a fully-enclosed, built-in PVC floor, which can be completely unzipped for easy cleaning and storage. The Tourer Roof Top Tent includes aluminum ladder, mounting rails, rain fly, travel cover and all poles needed.

To make it that much more fun, all sizes but the 1.2m are available in the stargazer option. The difference in the stargazer is going to be the side window openings (rain fly vs. standard). Below is Stargazer Tourer model.
large_25592_Stargazer.JPG

All tents are made out of the same material and great in all weather conditions. Let us know if you have any other questions.

flyingwil

Good catch Nic... I forgot about that. Here is the youtube video (Note this is without the rain fly too):

Last edited:

Willman

Good catch Nic... I forgot about that. Here is the youtube video (Note this is without the rain fly too):

That is one heck of a rain test without the rain fly!!!!!!. That looks like another day here in the great NW!

Love the rubber duckies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior