Camp footwear

MadMedic

Technical Responce Medic
What does everyone wear when they're in camp for a extended period of time? Do you just wear youor everyday footwear for that trip or do you have something special for the evening and after you've arrived at/set up camp?

Usually i just wear some flip flops but i'm after something a little warmer and drier especially for the winter.

hwc1954

Outside the tent, usually Crocs. If it's raining or really muddy, waterproof LLBean boot mocs. I like something that slips off easily to leave outside the tent. Inside the tent, hiking socks or down booties.

java

Expedition Leader
Flip flops with hiking socks, not so good if its wet though, good for cold.

But I have some Ugg slippers, so nice for inside the RV on the cold *** floor in the winter.

zelatore

Explorer
I can't stand flip-flops. Haven't been able to wear them since I was a kid. I never could understand how other people wear them as just regular shoes. I must have abnormal feet or something.

I generally don't like the hassle of bringing extra shoes. I wear Salomon trail runners unless I'm expecting really bad weather. 99.9999% waterproof (I've never gotten wet feet in them but is anything truly waterproof?). Easy on/off with the speed laces, so if you need to make an 'emergency' run in the middle of the night you can still get out of the tent quickly by just puling them on like a slipper. As comfortable as a pair of tennis shoes. Flexible enough to give decent pedal feel when driving. (I hate driving in boots for this reason). Good traction in messy conditions.

The only thing I would say against the is they don't have stiff soles for carrying heavy packs (but we're not talking about backpacking here) or long hikes on broken rocky terrain - again, not a big issue for most driving trips. Also they aren't particularly warm in serious winter hiking, though I've worn them with snowshoes several times.

hwc1954

Usually Crocs for me. Easy to slip in and out of getting in the tent. Work with or without socks. If its really wet and muddy or raining, LLBEAN rubber mocs:

175067_1914_41

Inside the tent, either hiking socks or Feathered Friends down booties:

featheredfriends_downbooties_assorted.jpg

MadMedic

Technical Responce Medic
I can't stand flip-flops. Haven't been able to wear them since I was a kid. I never could understand how other people wear them as just regular shoes. I must have abnormal feet or something.

I generally don't like the hassle of bringing extra shoes. I wear Salomon trail runners unless I'm expecting really bad weather. 99.9999% waterproof (I've never gotten wet feet in them but is anything truly waterproof?). Easy on/off with the speed laces, so if you need to make an 'emergency' run in the middle of the night you can still get out of the tent quickly by just puling them on like a slipper. As comfortable as a pair of tennis shoes. Flexible enough to give decent pedal feel when driving. (I hate driving in boots for this reason). Good traction in messy conditions.

The only thing I would say against the is they don't have stiff soles for carrying heavy packs (but we're not talking about backpacking here) or long hikes on broken rocky terrain - again, not a big issue for most driving trips. Also they aren't particularly warm in serious winter hiking, though I've worn them with snowshoes several times.

It's taken some adjusting to be able to wear flip flops, I used to hate them but found a few that are acceptable. It all comes down to my backpacking days would rather wear flip flops than be barefoot in hostels.

I can wear boots permanently, having to wear them for work (I own more boots than I do regular shoes) so I can happily drive in them. But camp shoes probably wouldn't be used for that or would be used very little for driving.

Sent using Tapatalk

rkj__

Adventurer
It really depends.

On a backwoods canoe trip in August, I wore sandals all weekend long.
At a campground in October, I romped around in work boots the whole time.
Other times, its just running shoes.

hwc1954

Feathered Friends down booties:

http://featheredfriends.com/down-booty.html

It's really designed for winter snow camping. An inner down "sock/bootie" with an outer Pertex fabric (like a water resistant down parka fabric) water proof bootie with a bit of a thicker protective sole that you can slip over the bootie for going outside the tent.

IMG_02342.JPG

I wear the covers over booties for ultimate warm slippers around the house. In the tent, I just wear the inner down bootie (even in the sleeping bag) and usually take them off and slip on my shoes as I get out of the tent -- although it would certainly work to just slip on the Pertex covers.

Definitely a luxury item, but awesome warm feet! Like down mittens for your feet.

srserl

Observer
I like Van's all black canvas slip-ons when it is not cold. They pack small and are light and comfortable. When it is cold, I take my sheepskin slippers for sitting under my tent's awning, or inside the tent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles