Help with a unique system

dvorocks

Adventurer
My situation is a little bit different than most. I travel the country and sell food (bacon) at fairs and festival. I just bought a ford e350 4x4 box truck(12ft) that I plan to build into a 2 purpose rig. 6-7 months of the year I travel from event to event and plug into 110 power( not always reliable) This is where my situation becomes unique. I travel with a bulldog that requires an air conditioned space when hes not allowed to come with me. In my previous setup I use 2 air conditioners plugged into 2 different power supplies. This is not allows easy to find 2 seperate 30 amp breakers. This got me thinking since im doing my own build that I should think of a better way to safely keep it cool in the hot summer months. My plan is to install dual 5000btu air conditioners that can be run with 2 seperate cords. I was also thinking instead of 1 generator ill run 2 small ones so when Im running on genny power I dont have to depend on just one. I know this sounds like overkill to most but I lost 2 bulldogs because my air conditioner failed a few years back so now im extra cautious.
I have no problem wiring the rig for when im plugged in but my question is how it should be wired for when im traveling and not relying on house power. Im thinking just to wire the rig without any 12v appliance I will rely on the generator or shore power most of the time and if the temperature allows I could just use an inverter and a couple batteries.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I don't question your concerns for the dog - but I wonder if you could get by with something smaller than two air conditioners for such a small space. Is the box truck insulated? I would think if it was and had limited air exchange that a single 5000 btu air conditioner could keep it cool enough. Are you using typical roof top type AC units designed for RVs? They are not the most efficient air conditioners BTW... Also, getting to separate 30 amp 120V power connections must be tricky some of the time.

If I was doing this I would make a very well insulated camper and use a high efficiency split type AC unit to reduce the amount of time that the AC unit had to operate and to keep the cool around longer once it shut off. I would ditch the rear roll up door probably as its a big air leaker and not well insulated.

You might consider a power system with an inverter, batteries and a remote start type generator - a company called "MAGNUM ENERGY" offers a system for RVs that will start and stop the generator based on the inside temperature of the RV - its specifically made for situations like yours.

Even with automatic systems its still possible for things to go wrong - so an alarm or monitoring system would also be worth considering - then perhaps use a back-up option such as starting the truck engine to charge the battery...

Good Luck!

dvorocks

Adventurer
I understand that 2 air conditioners seem to be a little overkill. The reason that I want to use 2 of them is a similar reason trucks have dual wheels. Could I get by with 1 absolutely.. The problem happens when one fails. This past year I have used a motorhome with a rooftop ac and for backup a portable ac run on a different cord. My thought is if I only use 5000btu window units I will have alot less problems.
This setup is basically going to be my work/play/home vehicle all year so the better I design it the easier my life will be.

waterboy222

Adventurer
What was it that failed on your old a/c unit? A second system that is wired to an underbody generator with automatic transfer switch might ease your concerns.. That way if you flip a breaker (or both) at a site, your genny will fire up and provide a/c to the standby unit. The advantage to that is having a system that can be used in a parking lot or on the highway or primitive campsite and a second system wired and ready for 30amp campsites. If the genny A/C unit fails, you could plug in your other a/c into it and keep running cool. I have my boat setup this way running the engine compartment heaters. We have ice storms in Oklahoma that cut the power out to our docks and no electric means no heat! So the blowers kick on for 30 seconds then fire the generator and calls my phone to tell me.. It "exercises" itself once a month but Ive never had to use it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles