Jeep guy needs some LR info

Jwestpro

Explorer
So you just had a baby, and want to sell off your paid for "best jeep ever", taking a huge financial bath in the process, and then waste your regained capital by spending $20k on a Discovery that will immediately be worth $9k as soon as you're done building it.

And that doesn't even address the ongoing maintenance costs or the fact that the Discovery is actually significantly smaller than the JK Unlimited. ..

I think you'll have to clarify the size statement because as Nwoods noted, he apears to think you meant the lr3, but it's not called a "discovery" here. Yet you say "discovery" as if there were only 1 type. YOU are supposed to be particularly familiar with all of them based on signature but I will say that from my own experience, the JK is not appreciably larger in any way inside. In fact, it has usually felt cramped to me but that is mostly the height inside I think and the short window glass. However, there is almost no other vehicle period, that even begins to compete with either older discovery models in terms of the 2nd and 3rd row/cargo area floor to ceiling height.

So, I have to respectfully say that you are completely mistaken.

Jwestpro

Explorer
And there is an opinion that does not appear to be based on experience. The LR3 is SIGNIFICANTLY larger inside than a JKU. Far more usable space in all areas of the vehicle.

To further emphasize how the space is more usable, it is mostly provided by how all the rear seats fold flush to create the "floor". I have to say that I always miss the superior floor to ceiling height in the Discovery 1 and 2 but the LR3 gained quite a lot in the length and the seats get out of the way. I would be so pleased with even just 2 more inches to the ceiling in the lr3 but too damn bad I guess.

I also think the 2 smaller sunroofs plus upper edge "alpine" windows was way more fun than what the lr3 got changed into.

Jwestpro

Explorer
So you just had a baby, and want to sell off your paid for "best jeep ever", taking a huge financial bath in the process, and then waste your regained capital by spending $20k on a Discovery that will immediately be worth $9k as soon as you're done building it.

I kind of have to agree with you here though. Mainly because if we take the parameters as presented of "best ever" and "fit into", then I don't see a seriously strong case for the move into a Land Rover. What I see, between the lines, is an attempt to rationalize an itch.... Don't we all try that a few times ?

If $15k-$20k is a firm figure or what it should be to be truly comfortable, then no Land Rover is the prudent choice.... specifically because of the $. Why did nobody also point out that aside from the purchase price should be an extended warranty.

What comes to mind here is something larger than a Discovery but much more reliable....that other forum section, the Land Cruiser.

I don't think anyone mentioning a $ budget should even consider jumping into a modern Land Rover. My experience is almost 400,000 miles in Land Rovers.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
. We have also gotten away from the hard core wheeling and we are having a hard time fitting in the jeep comfortably. Want a vehicle more geared to mild off roading, camping and to pull our Conqueror Compact. .

Hi just wondering, You have a hard time fitting in the Jeep Comfortably, is it becuase it is raised so high, lack of space?, or is the seats uncomfortably.

I do understand that the Landrover LR3 are bigger but cost much more.

I go camping with 4 adult people in my unlimited JKU and I have enough space and I dont have a trailer at al, like Your Conqueror Compact or similar. I find the seats comfortable and there are alot of room booth in the front seats and back seats. But my understanding is that LR3 is bettter.

I have my jk unlimited completely stock as a also have it as my dayly driver.

A another way could be that You returned your Jeep to stock.

Sometimes I bring with me 4 Helinox chairs and a small alu table and all fits under the backseats and much more under there. As You have children in the backseat You can have a roof net like the raingler net. In the rear You can have the front runner interior rack, easier to pack stuff up to the roof.

I do understand the intrest in the LR3 as it is bigger and is probably more comfortable but do cost more and according to me looks less cool than a stock jeep wrangler unlimited.

Viggen

Just here...
Hold on, what? You have two kids and a large Jeep. I do not understand the reasoning. You have a vehicle that is paid for, and holds its value better than pretty much any other American vehicle made (and a hell of a lot better than a Rover). If the modifications are the issue, I can guarantee you that someone looking to build their Jeep even bigger would happily trade you straight up, or with a little bit of money, for your tires, lift kit, etc... for their stock, or slightly lifted, stuff saving you money. Then, re-gear to a set of higher gears in order get back some economy with smaller tires. Keep your armor and be done with it.

Getting rid of something that is "the best Jeep you have ever had" and know inside and out for a higher mileage, question mark makes absolutely zero sense. Add in that you no longer owe any money on it and this makes even less sense.

XJLI

Adventurer

this. I had a low miles XJ that was pretty much "done" as far as being built. Fully polished HP44 front, 35 spline D60 rear, two lockers, 5.13s, hydro assist, fully stiffened and caged, bumpers, skids, rockers, on 35s but waiting for 37s blah blah. didn't wheel as much as i used to, planned on getting engaged and breaking into that part of life. parted the XJ for about half of what i had into it and was happy with that. bought a D1 for 2 grand and pocketed the rest. the rover is staying close to stock, and i've already brought it a couple places and have had a blast wheeling a stocker again.

i've been looking at LR3s and LR4s for the next rig and have been turning away bc of the possible gargantuan costs. all aftermarket stuff is 3-4x more money than jeep stuff, replacement parts and repairs are almost twice the cost... even DIY. decided to keep the D1 going as long as possible instead, I really like this truck.

YMMV.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Clearly I did say Discovery and not LR3/4.

The OP remarked that his family was having trouble fitting into the JK Unlimited - this implies issues with "living space" rather than cargo space. At 100" wheelbase, both the Discovery 1 and 2 are extremely limited in that respect. At best, no better than the JK Unlimited.

The LR3/4 is a different discussion as pointed out by several here. Especially if there is a need for a third row seat in the growing family.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Have you considered other options besides the Land Rover? A 4Runner has more rear seat space than the JKU, it can tow your trailer, and has good road manners. The Trail edition has the off road goodies you might want, like a locking rear diff. Even an earlier model year 4Runner will meet your requirements. The downside is that Toyota has a high buy-in because they hold their value.

If the JKU is cramped then don't even look at the XTerra, the small rear doors are even harder to get into than the Jeep. Depending on what you mean by "light" off roading, the previous generation Pathfinder might be an option (before it was turned into a minivan). It can be had in Off Road trim with a locking rear diff, but it is independent suspension all around and there is next to nothing available for it aftermarket.

If going older is an option then you could try to find one of the early V8 Land Cruisers. As much as I love the FJ-80, the I-6 won't enjoy your trailer and you will burn through brakes faster than windscreen wipers. The V8 (I think it was the FJ-100) would probably be better for your towing needs. You can still find the 100-series that hasn't been abused off road, something that is getting harder and harder with older Land Cruisers.

Anyway, just some thoughts on cross-shopping, best of luck finding the right rig for your family. Some of my best memories are of exploring Colorado and Utah in the family SUV.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Wow I'm surprised to hear Jwest say no one on a budget should get into a modern LR, wow! Aren't we all on a budget? Does that imply you guys are dropping endless money into these things?

There have been some remarks about "my best jeep ever" comment. I have had several jeeps and this one is the best, or maybe better said my favorite. But that does not negate the fact that we no longer wish to do the type of off roading we once did and want something we can fit into better that also has great off road capability. That's why I came to your LR section. So we are clear also by fit i refer to our gear as well as ourselves.
Even if my jeep was stock the interior is not designed (my opinion) for long travels for four people and all their stuff. I am not a minimalist and like to bring gear that others may not but again this is all re explaining what has been said already.
To put it anther way is, my jeep is set up for rock crawling I want a off road capable SUV now. Yes I understand I will loose money on what I have invested in my jeep.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Blind,
Thank your for the cross shopping advice and have been doing that as well. I have a good friend who has a 80 series land cruiser and is trying to steer me toward a 100 series LC but I just don't care for the way they look and prefer the looks of the LR models. But not opposed to going down that path.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Ok XJLI,
That maybe the way I go but why do you say that? Because of repair and mod costs like you mentioned or is it a size thing? Just wonder what the main driving force is for going toyota vs LR

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Blind,
Thank your for the cross shopping advice and have been doing that as well. I have a good friend who has a 80 series land cruiser and is trying to steer me toward a 100 series LC but I just don't care for the way they look and prefer the looks of the LR models. But not opposed to going down that path.
I understand. At the same time, form follows function. I was not a fan of my Nissan's styling when I first got it but now I love it for what it does and how it looks doing it. You want to love your vehicle, but you are going from one of the most iconic vehicles on the market to something that will have a significantly lower "cool factor" to anyone who doesn't know what it can do. I get it all the time in my XTerra (especially from Jeep guys) but I also know I can haul over washboard and ruts at highway speeds and still be comfortable and in control while the solid axles are sawing at the wheel trying to keep it on the road. Sometimes you just have to toss styling out the window and embrace the Utility side of the SUV.

Anyway, a minor lift, a bumper and a light bar and you will be right back to standing out from the crowd.

XJLI

Adventurer
Ok XJLI,
That maybe the way I go but why do you say that? Because of repair and mod costs like you mentioned or is it a size thing? Just wonder what the main driving force is for going toyota vs LR

i guess it depends on how aggressive you want to get. theres a LR3 HD HSE for sale in FL right now for a good price:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/134062-2006-Land-Rover-LR3-HSE-w-HD-pkg

for that price, you are looking at a close-to-200k miles LC100 bc of their resale value. if you plan on staying mostly stock, the LR would be a good choice. i've driven both on road and they are both great and comfortable. the LC "feels" bigger to me inside. as far as the LR goes, the newer ones can be plenty reliable, but not toyota reliable.

i bought my D1 because even though it needs more love than a 3rd gen 4runner, the parts are cheap. and i agree, i really don't care for the fit and finish of toyotas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior