Jeep guy needs some LR info

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I'm not saying LR is perfect but there are recalls in place for 6.4 million Toyota vehicles this year alone. (let the flaming begin) I've had a number of different LR's. The LR3 is my favorite. Lots of room and it even fits in my garage with the canoe on top. It's a 2007, I've had it now for almost a year, I've put around 40,000 kms on it and except for a couple of Canbus wires rubbing together and shorting out (1st week of ownership) and a rear height sensor (last week), it's been relatively pain free. The one I purchased had had an upgraded compressor installed, complete new brakes all around, all suspension work done, front seats removed and any wires suffering from winter salt corrosion replaced, expansion tank replace and new Pirelli winter tires installed. I guess that's the advantage of buying it from a friend who is a LR Master Tech and runs his own shop :)

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Based on the additional info provided I would agree that a low mileage, clean LR3 would be a great choice. However, you are absolutely not going to want to have it serviced at the dealer for cost reasons. However, I am not sure how the support is for qualified independent LR shops in NM.

The LR3 can be a maintenance intensive vehicle. This is not to say they are unreliable - in fact quite the opposite. However, the suspension system/running gear in particular requires a significant amount of upkeep (wheel bearings, control arm bushings, ball joints, swaybar links, EAS compressor, etc) because that's the compromise of having a 6000+ pound SUV that rides/drives/performs off road the way it does.

The most important item, reliability wise, to look out for with the LR3 platform are the differentials. Rear diff bearings are prone to failure if the vehicle has not been maintained with the proper fluid changes at the recommended (or sooner) intervals. Front diffs can also fail, usually due to pinion seal leaks which cause the diff to run low on fluid.

Otherwise they are (usually) very dependable. Nearly equal to a 100-series LC by most estimations.

If you have not driven one, please do. And make sure you look at several before you buy one unless you can be assured by someone with significant LR knowledge that it is a good one.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I have owned 3 LR3's. If you can swing the peace of mind of an extended warranty (many places that finance like USAA offer them wrapped into the vehicle) then I would encourage that, however, ... short of the cost of maintenance, the only thing I have ever had to replace in warranty on an LR3 is the suspension compressor. In the case of the compressor, it is plug and play and they run around $450-$650 at a dealer or aftermarket rover place.

Be prepared. The experience of going from a Jeep JKU to an LR3 is quite an upgrade in ride quality, quietness, amenities and such. Loved the utilitarian aspects of the AEV JKU I had, but it was a far cry from the ride of the LR3 and the towing isn't even something you can attempt to compare.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Speaking from my own experience, stock Discovery I's and 2's can go places that heavily modified LR3/4's can't, due to the wheelbase and flexier suspension, but as many others say here, they are pretty small inside and you would be disappointed carrying a family and gear around in one over the long run. Therefore, the LR3/4 is your best bet and you will really love the comfort after your built Jeep.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Clearly I did say Discovery and not LR3/4.

My bad. My apologies. I keep forgetting that LR made other vehicles besides the LR3 :)
As a VLA (Very Large American), I don't fit anything they make besides a MKIII RR, or the LR3/RRS platform. Disco 1 and 2's are much too small for me.

To the OP: I really like LC100's as well, and seriously considered buying one not too long ago, but driving them is quite eye opening. They drive like a flat bottomed river barge compared to an LR3. The LR3 feels light and sporty, nimble even, compared to the 100 series. I never considered an 80 series because I can't fit in the drivers seat, and the rear seat leg room would never fit my kids.

Have you considered the Lexus GX470? Same platform as the 4Runner, but with a MUCH better roofline and a significantly larger feeling in the interior cabin. They are extremely durable, most of the FJ/4Runner stuff will also bolt onto the GX470 because of the shared Toyota120 platform, and the overseas aftermarket is pretty healthy. Perhaps you've heard of the legendary Toyota Prado? Same as the Lexus GX470 here Stateside.
129_0708_12_zlexus_suvfront_view.jpg

Last edited:

Blind_Io

Adventurer
My bad. My apologies. I keep forgetting that LR made other vehicles besides the LR3 :)
As a VLA (Very Large American), I don't fit anything they make besides a MKIII RR, or the LR3/RRS platform. Disco 1 and 2's are much too small for me.

To the OP: I really like LC100's as well, and seriously considered buying one not too long ago, but driving them is quite eye opening. They drive like a flat bottomed river barge compared to an LR3. The LR3 feels light and sporty, nimble even, compared to the 100 series. I never considered an 80 series because I can't fit in the drivers seat, and the rear seat leg room would never fit my kids.

Have you considered the Lexus LX470? Same platform as the 4Runner, but with a MUCH better roofline and a significantly larger feeling in the interior cabin. They are extremely durable, most of the FJ/4Runner stuff will also bolt onto the LX470 because of the shared Toyota120 platform, and the overseas aftermarket is pretty healthy. Perhaps you've heard of the legendary Toyota Prado? Same as the Lexus LX470 here Stateside.
attachment.php
The LX470 is based on the Land Cruiser, in fact, it is just a Cruiser with a body kit and some different interior bits. The Prado is the GX series from Lexus, smaller than the FJ series the LX is based on.

Sent via carrier pigeon

zelatore

Explorer
Everything I'm going to say has already been said but I'll add another data point.

For the OP's description I don't think he'll do better than a good low mileage '06+ LR3. The budget is more than adequate to find a good one and do any needed baselineing + some minor upgrades if wanted. I'll also agree that you will want to either do your own work or find a good 3rd party shop as dealers are going to be brutal. Luckily the LR community, while perhaps not as strong as the Jeep group, is extremely helpful.
Coming from a Jeep you may be shocked at how little aftermarket is available for the LR3 platform, but I don't think that will be an issue based on how you say you want to use the truck. Really just a set of tires and perhaps a GAP tool to do a small lift and you'll be shocked at what it will do. The HD package is definitely a plus but I wouldn't pass over a good truck trying with everything else you want just for the HD. For light wheeling the standard computer actuated diff does quite well.
And no, it's not going to be a rock crawler. Too much weight, too little flex, too small tires. But if you can accept that they are a great platform. I figure I'll eventually run mine through the Rubicon just because it's near-by and I can't help myself, but that's not what it's best at.
I don't own a JK but have friends that do and I've driven them on and off road a fair bit. I also just spent a week (pretty much on-road) in a new 4Runner. Both have their strong points but I'm not planning to sell the Rover any time soon.
Find a nice clean LR3. Toss on a set of modern AT tires in 265/65-18 on stock wheels and get a GAP IId tool to give it a little lift + help with any computer issues. Do a good base-line of things like oils, bushings, LCAs, etc. Enjoy.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Hold on, what? You have two kids and a large Jeep. I do not understand the reasoning. You have a vehicle that is paid for, and holds its value better than pretty much any other American vehicle made (and a hell of a lot better than a Rover). If the modifications are the issue, I can guarantee you that someone looking to build their Jeep even bigger would happily trade you straight up, or with a little bit of money, for your tires, lift kit, etc... for their stock, or slightly lifted, stuff saving you money. Then, re-gear to a set of higher gears in order get back some economy with smaller tires. Keep your armor and be done with it.

Getting rid of something that is "the best Jeep you have ever had" and know inside and out for a higher mileage, question mark makes absolutely zero sense. Add in that you no longer owe any money on it and this makes even less sense.

^^^THIS^^^ by 1000%. Much better the paid-for devil you know than the devil-you-don't-know Land Rover.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The LX470 is based on the Land Cruiser, in fact, it is just a Cruiser with a body kit and some different interior bits. The Prado is the GX series from Lexus, smaller than the FJ series the LX is based on.

Sent via carrier pigeon
GX470. Correct, that is what I meant. Prado, not Cruiser. The GX is the same platform as the FJ and 4Runner, and to some degree, the Tacoma as well. I have edited my original post with the correction.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Thanks for your thoughts Blind and XJ good points and food for thought.

I'd say the previous desire for the HD rear locker is irrelevant now that ARB has made their air lockers for front and rear. I think in an LR3 search it would be WAY more important to find your favorite colors and attractive service history and purchase price. Besides, you can't say you don't need/want the features of a built Jeep but then think there's any need for the oem rear locker. It's contradictory and the rear locker on an lr3 traction system is pretty much 95% of situations never actually needed. If you already know "how to drive", then you really don't need it at all for a family outing.

With more input from you, yes, the LR3 cargo + people space is really pretty sweet. Hey, I'll admit that it was the awesome design of all the 2nd and 3rd row seats, a useful tail gate, large windows/view, that partially pulled me out of the 2006 LC100 I had ! The "function" was too much for me to resist and I still think it's more functional in that regard than any LC, more than most vehicles available even with any amount of $.

I bought an extended warranty at 49,000 miles 3 years ago. It has covered almost $8000 in repairs since then.... a new radiator along with some hvac component, an air strut, the suspension air compressor, rear differential and a rear wheel bearing, other stuff I've forgotten. However, I expect that some of these items will now actually last longer being newer/improved designs such as the compressor. I think most stuff was in the 70-80k mileage range.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I think most stuff was in the 70-80k mileage range.

As with most Land Rovers, they are typically always due for a fairly thorough "refresh" of consumables and wear items between 75k and 100k. Luckily, its quite a reduced burden from previous models... where 75k was pretty much a guaranteed engine teardown/reseal and maybe head gaskets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior