Jeep guy needs some LR info

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Ok guys and gals long time Jeeper here and this my situation:

I currently have the best jeep I have ever owned. It's a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited with AEV 4.5" lift, 5:13 gears, 37" tires, ARB bumpers, AEV snorkel, AEV hood, Nemesis skid plates/fenders/rocker guards and a lot more goodies but I don't want to bore the LR crowd with jeep stuff. I love this jeep. Problem is we just had a baby so now my wife and I have a 9 year old son and a 3 month old girl. We have also gotten away from the hard core wheeling and we are having a hard time fitting in the jeep comfortably. Want a vehicle more geared to mild off roading, camping and to pull our Conqueror Compact. The jeep is paid for and I don't want that kind of money tied up in a vehicle we don't really use much or fit in. So the jeep will be listed on here for sale soon and I have been looking at used Disco's and love the look especially when they are expo'ed out. I don't want to spend more than about 15-20k and have been looking at the 2004 or there about model years. My issue is I am not a mechanic and don't feel comfortable working on engine or drive train. I can do bumpers, weld and bolt on stuff but I want reliability. Am I looking at the wrong vehicle leaning toward a disco? Friends are saying they will have issues and to stay away from LR? What's your take?
Thanks for your help and responses.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Rock-Eater:
From a fellow Conqueror owner to another ... buy a 2006 or newer LR3. 2004 DII are prone to problems (yes, I've owned 2 of them). A DI would be great, but would dis-like towing the Conqueror at speed, and the truck wouldn't be as comfortable for your family. An LR3 can be had for $22K and you can find built examples (there is a silver 2006 here that is a great example of well maintained trucks already built: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-Fully-Loaded-from-Factory-amp-Modified-Clean )

I have owned about every model Land Rover and I have owned a 2011 AEV Jeep Unlimited. My 2009 is by far the best truck we have ever owned for our needs (which seem aligned with what you describe above).

Thanks
D

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
So you just had a baby, and want to sell off your paid for "best jeep ever", taking a huge financial bath in the process, and then waste your regained capital by spending $20k on a Discovery that will immediately be worth $9k as soon as you're done building it.

And that doesn't even address the ongoing maintenance costs or the fact that the Discovery is actually significantly smaller than the JK Unlimited. ..

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Thanks for the info Dendy I will look toward the LR3 and see what's out there and appreciate the heads up on the DII.
Proper4wd
You about summed it up with a slight nagitive twist. Yes I will loose money on my current rig but it does not work for us anymore, so rather then having a deprecating in value jeep in the garage (it not a daily driver) we can't enjoy as much any more I will deal with the loss. Also what vehicle does not deprecate after purchasing? I did not get into this hobby if I was concerned about what my vehicle will be worth if and when I end up selling it. You get what works for you and enjoy it. If I wanted and investment I would buy a corvette and park it away for 40 years then send it Barett Jackson. Oh but thanks for the response.

stevehs

I recently owned a 2004 Disco, (had it for 8 years), and traded it in for a 2012 LR4. My wife and I were also considering a new or near new Wrangler Rubicon. We were invited to do a group trip with our local dealer to Moab Utah. We had a blast and were so impressed with the LR4 we decided we don't need to buy the Jeep. Don't get me wrong, the Jeep is extremely capable, but no comparison in the comfort zone. This LR4 is my 6th LR purchase, and by far my favorite. We have also owned several Jeeps and Toyota Land Crusisers. To use a vehicle the way you now desire, an LR3/4 will be a great purchase. Contrary to earlier posts, the LR3/4's have much better resale than earlier late model Rover's, (at least here in Colorado). Good luck in your search....let us know what you decide.

Power Wagon Family

I Hate Off Camber
Dendy I think i like the first one 😃
Steveshs thanks for the info how is the maintenance on the LR3? Are the dealers maintenance prices crazy?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Not common Heavy Duty package which is a locking rear diff. There are some dealers that will allow you to call their service department, give the VIN and determine if all regular maintenance was performed and if there are any open recalls on a truck. The regular interval "suggested" maintenance is stupid money. Totally making these numbers up for an example, but like a 30K mile maintenance for like $800-$1200. But there are people out there that have independent rover or european motor shops that will do for much less than the dealer. The example (#1) above shows all of the work that has been performed on the truck and it includes lots of the known things that go based on mileage like the front suspension bushings, etc.

D

JimBiram

Adventurer
I had a D2 and swore I would never own another Land Rover. But then the LR3 came out...shoot, I bought it on the spot. 167,000 miles later and I can't let go of it. Now I have an LR2 as well....spend the bucks on a clean LR3 if you plan to camp with the family...

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

axels

Adventurer
I'm located in ABQ and drive a LR4 with basic mods for off-roading.
Maintenance can be financially heavy but it's like everything else, as long you take care of your vehicle preventively all will be fine (fingers crossed).
I highly recommend the Santa Fe Land Rover dealership. They do perform great work there and are very upfront with what you need and what can wait.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
...the fact that the Discovery is actually significantly smaller than the JK Unlimited. ..

And there is an opinion that does not appear to be based on experience. The LR3 is SIGNIFICANTLY larger inside than a JKU. Far more usable space in all areas of the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior