Jeep guy needs some LR info

05LR3AZ

Adventurer
LR

I've spent a fair amount if time with both the LR3 and JKU and they each have their positives and negatives. My family of four has tons of space in the LR3, it travels well on long trips, hauls/tows more than most other vehicles, is comfortable, stylish and a well-rounded vehicle. I keep up the maintenance and have wheeled it often. No need for rear locker HD package. It hasn't been terrible with replacing parts, the air suspension is a large culprit but not terrible. I love my D1 or RRC but the LR3 just brings a smile to my face because we enjoy it so much.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
It is my understanding that the climate plays a significant role in air suspension failures. Cold, snow, and salt are all known to wreak havoc on air suspensions, in Arizona that is probably less of an issue. Since Rock Eater is in New Mexico, he can probably expect a similar experience to you.

Sorry to keep butting in, since I don't have a Land Rover. Up here where we get cold, snowy winters, the Land Rover air suspensions have a bit of a notorious history. An owner I spoke to a while ago said he was on his third air suspension (not sure how comprehensive that is) under warranty. The dealer had so many problems with the air systems that they were going to remove it from his vehicle an install a traditional suspension. The owner was not happy about this and insisted on yet another air system being installed and that he would get a traditional suspension put in when the warranty was up. I don't recall which model he owned, but apparently failures of the air system are pretty common up here, especially in the winter.

Eniam17

Adventurer
That sounds like an odd story to me unless he has 400k on the clock or a 20 year old vehicle. We have cold, snowy, icy, and salty winters here and people are getting 100k miles out of the air springs no problem. Both my 2008's are now 7 years old and have had 0 issues. Even if you do have an issue, an arnott replacement spring is 365 bucks online and for a few hours of labor you can have both replaced. They have a lifetime warranty as well, so a lot of the worrying about the air suspension is unnecessary in my opinion.

Viggen

Just here...
Buy the way, the first LR3 I shared with you ... (caveat- I have no knowledge of this truck nor the seller- so do your research) is listed here on ebay: (lots more pictures)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-...9f5b7e826&item=111496652838&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

$22k for an LR3 with 123k miles on it? Seriously? That is a better option than him keeping and working with something that he knows everything about?

Roverrocks,
I would hardly compare switching vehicles to better suit my needs, to trading my wife in for another woman. Wow let hope that was a joke or sarcasm. Some people seem hung up on me keeping the jeep? Haven't you guys owned a vehicle and then gotten rid of that vehicle for something different? It's like those that persist I keep the jeep have only owned one vehicle all their life.
Maybe I should have just said,
I'm thinking about a LR for my families out door adventures what do you guys think?

It is a saying. You stick with the one you brought. As in, you do not come with one girl to the dance and then, halfway through, ditch her for someone else. His point is exactly the same as mine. You OWN as close to a depreciation proof vehicle as an American manufacturer has ever produced. You have built it up to be pretty extreme, with 37s, etc... A pretty common thing with something that can be built from a catalog. The good thing though is that you can also undo it with people all over the place who would be willing to help you downgrade. Then, you will have a more family friendly, better riding 4 door. The bonus to that is that it is a vehicle where parts can be bought anywhere, at any time, and one that you know the service and use history of. That last part is crucial and priceless. Having to spend $22k on a truck with 123k miles on it makes zero sense. That is what he was saying.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Roverrocks,
I would hardly compare switching vehicles to better suit my needs, to trading my wife in for another woman. Wow let hope that was a joke or sarcasm. Some people seem hung up on me keeping the jeep? Haven't you guys owned a vehicle and then gotten rid of that vehicle for something different? It's like those that persist I keep the jeep have only owned one vehicle all their life.
Maybe I should have just said,
I'm thinking about a LR for my families out door adventures what do you guys think?

Sarcasm. Pure sarcasm. If you could buy a brand new LR4 and baby it from birth then I would say go for it but buying a used LR3/LR4 is asking for a boatload of expensive trouble. I bought my used D1 from a land rover dealer in Denver where I knew W/O a doubt they had traded the D1 in on a new D2 because they liked the D1 a lot and had few troubles. That is the only way I would buy one. LR's depreciate rapidly for big reasons. Be very very careful in what LR you trade for or buy. Very careful. You could be jumping in to a pit of expensive rattlesnakes.

axels

Adventurer
Actually modern LRs do not depreciate rapidly at all anymore. They're pretty reliable and have a huge following (urban or not).
I also believe that the point of this thread is to see if a LR would be a suitable vehicle for what the OP intend to use it for.
I believe that it is.
I was at the SF dealership last week and they had a really nice LR3 for 12.5k

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
$22k for an LR3 with 123k miles on it? Seriously? That is a better option than him keeping and working with something that he knows everything about?

Given the amount of build on that truck, if he started with a base model and (if even because nothing more than he wanted to) built the truck, he would have way more than that in it by the time you figure the raw cost of all the gear and the labor. That truck has sliders that are no longer available that protect all the way over to the frame rails, it has under belly protection, winch, synth winch line, lighting that is hooked up ready to go, rear tire swing away, HD package, Rear entertainment for his kids, and onboard air, and I could keep on going. By the time you figure parts and labor that is a $10K bill all by itself. Could the OP do what he wants with a stock truck with upgraded AT tires and johnson rods? Yes, but he is accustomed to a built jeep. Just throwing options out for him.
My opinion, buy a well maintained and documented truck (which the one I mention is) and buy all the truck you can (already built) if you can afford it, so you can hit the ground running.
These trucks are just getting broken in at 123K if all the known parts prone to wear have been sorted.

That is all.
D

Derel1cte

Adventurer
Sarcasm. Pure sarcasm. If you could buy a brand new LR4 and baby it from birth then I would say go for it but buying a used LR3/LR4 is asking for a boatload of expensive trouble. I bought my used D1 from a land rover dealer in Denver where I knew W/O a doubt they had traded the D1 in on a new D2 because they liked the D1 a lot and had few troubles. That is the only way I would buy one. LR's depreciate rapidly for big reasons. Be very very careful in what LR you trade for or buy. Very careful. You could be jumping in to a pit of expensive rattlesnakes.

Please do not compare your D1/D2 experience to a LR3/LR4. Newer Rovers are head an shoulders above those old trucks in terms of reliability. Stop perpetuating this stereotype that is now 10+ years old.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Please do not compare your D1/D2 experience to a LR3/LR4. Newer Rovers are head an shoulders above those old trucks in terms of reliability. Stop perpetuating this stereotype that is now 10+ years old.

^^^ FACT

Same thing on the depreciation front. Look at LR4 prices. 4 years old with 60k miles is still worth about 70% of MSRP. That's crazy low depreciation for a luxury car.

Viggen

Just here...

I do not think that that is what he was doing. Reading his answer confirms it. He said he bought his D1 from a dealership that took the D1 in on a trade for D2 so history was known. Regardless of the make, a used car, unless it comes with a binder full of service receipts and documentation, is a complete question mark. There is value to knowing a vehicle from cradle.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
I do not think that that is what he was doing. Reading his answer confirms it. He said he bought his D1 from a dealership that took the D1 in on a trade for D2 so history was known. Regardless of the make, a used car, unless it comes with a binder full of service receipts and documentation, is a complete question mark. There is value to knowing a vehicle from cradle.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^ 110%!!!

Derel1cte

Adventurer
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^ 110%!!!

Fair. But it still needs to be said that any experience with a 2004 or older model LR is irrelevant for any discussion of reliability and depreciation of their recent lineup.

Also, I don't know why reliability even needs to be a concern when the OP is a MOPAR guy, haha.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Ok guys and gals long time Jeeper here and this my situation:

I currently have the best jeep I have ever owned. It's a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited with AEV 4.5" lift, 5:13 gears, 37" tires, ARB bumpers, AEV snorkel, AEV hood, Nemesis skid plates/fenders/rocker guards and a lot more goodies but I don't want to bore the LR crowd with jeep stuff. I love this jeep. Problem is we just had a baby so now my wife and I have a 9 year old son and a 3 month old girl. We have also gotten away from the hard core wheeling and we are having a hard time fitting in the jeep comfortably. Want a vehicle more geared to mild off roading, camping and to pull our Conqueror Compact. The jeep is paid for and I don't want that kind of money tied up in a vehicle we don't really use much or fit in. So the jeep will be listed on here for sale soon and I have been looking at used Disco's and love the look especially when they are expo'ed out. I don't want to spend more than about 15-20k and have been looking at the 2004 or there about model years. My issue is I am not a mechanic and don't feel comfortable working on engine or drive train. I can do bumpers, weld and bolt on stuff but I want reliability. Am I looking at the wrong vehicle leaning toward a disco? Friends are saying they will have issues and to stay away from LR? What's your take?
Thanks for your help and responses.

Man Rock-Eater, can't believe you are on here now and getting rid of your Jeep as well. Seems like all the AEV forum guys from the past few years continue to jump ship.

I too got rid of my crush JKUR and ended up with a 2014 LR4. Long story short, LR bought it back. While it was a very comfortable vehicle and had space/utility out the wazoo it couldn't stay out of the shop. I have not read all 8 pages but just make sure if you are going to get one you get a warranty and try to find one with a lot of service history!

I now have a 2014 EcoDiesel GC Summit. While not nearly as well versed off-road it isn't bad and the fuel economy is at least 10 MPG more than what the LR4 could do.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Man Rock-Eater, can't believe you are on here now and getting rid of your Jeep as well. Seems like all the AEV forum guys from the past few years continue to jump ship.

I too got rid of my crush JKUR and ended up with a 2014 LR4. Long story short, LR bought it back. While it was a very comfortable vehicle and had space/utility out the wazoo it couldn't stay out of the shop. I have not read all 8 pages but just make sure if you are going to get one you get a warranty and try to find one with a lot of service history!

I now have a 2014 EcoDiesel GC Summit. While not nearly as well versed off-road it isn't bad and the fuel economy is at least 10 MPG more than what the LR4 could do.

There were some LR4s that I heard of that had problems with the wiring harness where it ran through the steering column. Because of unknown reasons the turning of the steering would mangle the wiring and cause issues from lighting problems, navigation and radio intermittency and more. Some of those trucks were bought back from owners and they seemed unable to source the problem to the point of totally repairing them. Wonder if you had one of those LR4s?

D

Jwestpro

Explorer
I mean that 75-100k miles is the typical failure range for major components with LR... always has been.

I see. That explains why in my 230,000 mile 1996 Discovery that almost every item under the bonnet has been replaced aside from the engine and transmission ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz