Updated crank bolt question.

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
I received the updated part but forgot to order the washer. I'm wondering if the washer part number has changed? Can I reuse the original washer with the new bolt?
Thanks

plh

Explorer
There is a new washer, and its different. My packaging just went out in the garbage yesterday. Do you have the ASA parts program? It is available for download at Mitsubishi links...

New bolt & washer on the bottom

Bolt.jpg

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
There is a new washer, and its different. My packaging just went out in the garbage yesterday. Do you have the ASA parts program? It is available for download at Mitsubishi links...

New bolt & washer on the bottom

View attachment 254052
What is deferent about the washer? The parts department told be that the washer part has not changed just the bolt. The old washer has a kind of a mushroom shape does the new look different ? Can't tell from the picture? Is it thicker?

jlocster

Explorer
The crank bolt washer is known as belleville washer, or cupped spring washer, and is slightly conical in shape. It can be used as a form of lock-washer, or in other cases as a dampener. Some swear belleville washers, like any lock washer, should never be reused, others claim it's ok. In this case, I'm not sure if the old washer and new washer are the same or not. For the small cost of a new washer, I'd recommend against reusing an old one.

Either way, the washer should be installed so that the raised center section is pointed away from the engine, towards the front of the vehicle, and in contact with the head of the crank bolt.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
The new washer isn't mushroom shaped. The new bolt shown in my photo is for a 3.5 and 3.8l, The 3.0l is shorter. I'll add a photo later.

plh

Explorer
Here are photos of the 3.0l bolt along side the longer 3.5l/3.8l bolt.

bolt2.jpg

bolt1.jpg

When you install the washer, make sure the ID chamfer is towards the bolt head.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior