Well the news is out so here's the build: Expedition Portal So-Cal Teardrop

spikemd

Explorer
Nice trailer.

4runner is a solid platform. I have 206k on our 2003 with the bullet-proof V8 but mainly road miles. Towing capacity is over 7k lbs.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Yea they really are amazing. I towed an xventure from Las Vegas to Prescott last night and the thing just flies while towing. Doesn't seem to care even slightly.

I hope to go to the rally this year but no confirmations yet!

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Yea they really are amazing. I towed an xventure from Las Vegas to Prescott last night and the thing just flies while towing. Doesn't seem to care even slightly.

I hope to go to the rally this year but no confirmations yet!

Oh?!

The Vermont Overland Rally?!?...don't recall having a So-Cal Teardrop in camp..so it might be a good idea to book it now

Yea.. a few of those "Prescot guys" made it this year...but we're always looking for a few more...:ylsmoke:

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I asked him if he was gonna come out to the Northwest Overland Rally. Maybe he'll do both, haha.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Nice that you're coming out for the NWOR. You won't be the only one there with a SoCal teardrop. I'll have mine!

What are the spacers for?

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I cant run the stock Toyota wheels without them. They have about 1mm clearance haha. The spacer will center the wheel and tire in the wheel well

STREGA

Explorer
Haha we mustve responded within seconds of each other

If I had waited a few more minutes my post would not have been needed. I knew the reason for the spacers because I have a SoCal Krawler with Toyota OEM wheels on it.

I will be following this thread to see what you do with yours, I plan to make a few changes to mine in the future as well. I want to add a hand/parking brake and replace the tongue box.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Yup tongue box is on my list. I hate the current one to be honest. It looks like I bolted on something from Autozone. Not at all the quality associated with the rest of the trailer

STREGA

Explorer
STREGA, did you order a Socal or have one already?

I helped my brother order his Krawler in 2011. He has decided to sell it so I'am now the owner of a teardrop. This will be my 2nd teardrop, my 1st one was a home built that had some issues that would have cost more to correct than it was worth. We bought it to give the TD concept a try knowing it was not a perfect fit for where I wanted to be able to go, main problem was it was originally built to be towed by a hot rod so it didn't have a lot of ground clearance and the axle was bias to the rear of the trailer. It went down the hiway great but anything more than a graded dirt road was not good. A 2 week trip to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons with it convinced us that a TD was a good fit for us, we just needed a more off-roadedble and better built TD. I went to the 1st Overland Expo in 2009 and AT brought their new TD trailer to show and I knew I had found what I was looking for. This is where I met Gabe from So Cal TD and Martin/Mario from AT. AT also taught a class on towing a trailer off road and they used the TD in the class and we all got to take it for a spin on the course.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Very cool. I actually almost bought that Original TD from someone a month before I bought mine. At the last minute for no reason the guy upped the price by 2500 bucks and expected me to pay it. I backed out and bought a bigger one for 3500 less haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94