Well the news is out so here's the build: Expedition Portal So-Cal Teardrop

STREGA

Explorer
Yup tongue box is on my list. I hate the current one to be honest. It looks like I bolted on something from Autozone. Not at all the quality associated with the rest of the trailer

X2. I will have one custom made and no diamond plate either. Also need a place to lash down a 20 lb propane tank and the camp fire in a can. Also going to replace the AT jerry cans in favor of Roto Pax cans I already have.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Very nice! Dumb question maybe but why not put the propane on the side like I did? Seems to be a perfect place based on kitchen location. Im guessing it has to do with size but could you run it on the fender?
Also who will you have make your tongue box? Maybe we can go in together for a cheaper rate.

STREGA

Explorer
Very nice! Dumb question maybe but why not put the propane on the side like I did? Seems to be a perfect place based on kitchen location. Im guessing it has to do with size but could you run it on the fender?
Also who will you have make your tongue box? Maybe we can go in together for a cheaper rate.

Not a dumb question. I already have a 5lb tank on the side for the galley, the 20lb tank is for the propane campfire and with current setup I have to strap it down on the trailer tongue in front of box which makes opening rear door next to impossible. As it is the door hits the box when it's almost all the way open, if I angle the trailer a bit it will clear the box barely which is why I'am going to replace the box and remove the AT jerry can holders.

I have a friend in Grand Junction who owns a metal fab shop who makes all my custom stuff and already gives me a good deal. I also won't be doing this until sometime next year I'am in the process of buying a truck to tow my 5th wheel trailer so funds are a little stretched for now.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I have a SoCal TD. I had them powder coat my tongue box. I think it looks good. I also got the storage cage thing. I need to see if it'll fit a bigger propane tank. I know it'll fit a little Honda generator.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Yup, mine had a honda generator spot on it so the previous owner could use his keurig haha. I think the tongue box would be great if it wasnt silver diamond plate. Thats what ruins it for me. Just personal preference though. How do you like the cage? Ive been thinking of doing something similar.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Did you buy your trailer from a previous owner? I thought you had it built new.

I'm not a fan of diamond plate either but the black powder coat on it made it look a lot better. They could had made one out of regular smooth metal but I think it was more money. The cage is nice but I have only had my trailer for 2 weeks. Not going anywhere for awhile since the wife has a kid on the way next month and I'm in the middle of a house remodel.

Plus the damn hitch doesn't bolt up right on the Jeep. So now I have to try for hitch number 3 to see if I can finally get a good one. The other hitch didn't line up at all. Thankfully someone just gave me that one for free.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Nope its a 2010 that was refurbished by So-Cal at my request. Thing still looks, tows, and feels new though! What hitch are you running and wheres the problem? I should be able to give you some help/advice

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Yeah it would have helped if I read your article. I just looked at the pics, haha.

I have a Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon. I ordered a MOPAR hitch. It won't bolt on. All the bolts go in but then one of them won't catch the threads. The hitch wiggles a bit so whether I go from left to right or right to left, the end bolt won't catch. I think the hitch is tweaked since it just barely doesn't sit flush on either side. So I'm sending it back and waiting for the replacement.

grogie

Like to Camp
I noted that you said that the trailer weight is 1400 lbs., which I assume is the try weight? Do you know what it is loaded? I had thought about a teardrop myself, however I went with a box trailer with an RTT on top. Loaded it's 1100 lbs. with a similar setup (3500# axle, springs, shocks, and 32" tires), which at it's weight (with electric brakes) tows great with a two-door Jeep TJ. I don't think I'd tow more weight then that with my TJ.

But anyway, awesome trailer and very spacious inside. Looks like you'll have a lot of fun with it! Yes, a more matching front box will look great on it. A well built trailer is a joy to pull on and off-road. :)

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Yeah it would have helped if I read your article. I just looked at the pics, haha.

I have a Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon. I ordered a MOPAR hitch. It won't bolt on. All the bolts go in but then one of them won't catch the threads. The hitch wiggles a bit so whether I go from left to right or right to left, the end bolt won't catch. I think the hitch is tweaked since it just barely doesn't sit flush on either side. So I'm sending it back and waiting for the replacement.
That really stinks. Probably just a bad hitch like you said. Make sure everything is really tight on that and use loctite on all the bolts. You dont want that thing coming loose!

I noted that you said that the trailer weight is 1400 lbs., which I assume is the try weight? Do you know what it is loaded? I had thought about a teardrop myself, however I went with a box trailer with an RTT on top. Loaded it's 1100 lbs. with a similar setup (3500# axle, springs, shocks, and 32" tires), which at it's weight (with electric brakes) tows great with a two-door Jeep TJ. I don't think I'd tow more weight then that with my TJ.

But anyway, awesome trailer and very spacious inside. Looks like you'll have a lot of fun with it! Yes, a more matching front box will look great on it. A well built trailer is a joy to pull on and off-road. :)

Yes thats correct. Ill be weighing mine as the build continues to see what she stacks up to. I think the TJ could handle it no problem but it definitely weighs more. The price you pay for a sleep inside trailer I guess. That being said it's still very very light for what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior