Well the news is out so here's the build: Expedition Portal So-Cal Teardrop

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I really researched what trailer I wanted. I really liked the Moby1 but I could get more out of my money for features that were standard on the SoCal but cost more on the Moby1. Also the weight of the Moby1 is quite a bit more than the SoCal.

I looked into the Little Guy stuff too but felt that if I spent a little more for the SoCal I'd be better off. I was looking into the Rough Rider suspension/frame set up with a Silver Shadown cabin. Few guys on here have it and they look great. I just wasn't fond of the fenders and torsion axle suspension. Though, honestly it would work just fine for what my off road use will be. Another plus is they aren't very heavy either.

In the end, it comes down to the practicality of what you need and what will work. I almost just went with the rough rider model without doing the silver shadow cabin just cuz it was practical of what I wanted except for a spot for the fridge. I think there's room for one on the Silver Shadow but I don't remember.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Ya people spend too much time worrying about the cool thing to have. You need to just think about what YOU need. If a minicooper fits your needs best use it!

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I have the Krawler 459, I've had the trailer for 2 weeks and finally laid in it just to see what the leg room was like. Man, I can't wait to go camping with this thing. Lots of room.

dcoy

Adventurer
I have the Krawler 459, I've had the trailer for 2 weeks and finally laid in it just to see what the leg room was like. Man, I can't wait to go camping with this thing. Lots of room.

Wow! You didn't try it out before you bought it? Just sayin :)

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Wow! You didn't try it out before you bought it? Just sayin :)

How am I gonna know what it's like when it's not built yet and they're in CA and I'm in WA?

Plus I already knew the measurements and mocked it up at home. I was just impressed how comfy and how much space there was when I got into it and laid in it.

dcoy

Adventurer
How am I gonna know what it's like when it's not built yet and they're in CA and I'm in WA?

Plus I already knew the measurements and mocked it up at home. I was just impressed how comfy and how much space there was when I got into it and laid in it.

I understand. It just sounded like quite the leap of faith. Couldn't help but comment (just for fun).

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Haha now its my turn to poke! Did you test load your horizon before you bought it? Or just measure it on your floor or look at pictures and buy it :ylsmoke:

I drove all the way to Reno to buy mine without sitting in it lol

dcoy

Adventurer
Haha now its my turn to poke! Did you test load your horizon before you bought it? Or just measure it on your floor or look at pictures and buy it :ylsmoke:

I drove all the way to Reno to buy mine without sitting in it lol

Well, I did test out the tent before I committed. Didn't test drag it though. That would have been pretty difficult from a practical standpoint.

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Oh trust me I did a lot of research between all the brands. I went to a Little Guy dealer and looked at the standard rough rider and met a guy with a silver shadow so I had a good idea on leg room. I constantly had the tape measure out and mocked up stuff.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Well yesterday saw some changes to the teardrop. We unbolted everything from the tongue and removed the front bed liner sheet. As I've seen with most of these sheet style liners, it was peeling off.
Unfortunately after removing it the glue remained. I spent the next three hours scrubbing it and muttering less than favorable words under my breath. The worst part was that instead of actually coming off when you scrubbed it turned into stick balls of goop which then hardened on everything.

After removing it though we taped off the trailer and sprayed a fresh coat of real bed liner on. Looks much better and should last much longer.

We also alleviated one of my biggest frustrations with trailers. For anyone who hates trying to push the things around on those stupid hard plastic wheels BUY ONE OF THESE. Its an actual pneumatic tire I purchased through Adventure Trailers. Ill never own a trailer without one now.

She needs a bath but shes coming along!

brentbba

Explorer
I've only got a M101CDN and had the same grip about the landing foot. Saw Paul May's wheel at Mountain Rendezvous last year and he told me it was from AT. Took a pic of his, looked at AT's site and as imitation is the greatest form of flattery, took the idea and built one for myself from parts. LOVE IT! AT's is a bigger tire which is nicer and I may go to, but I agree 100% with you about never being w/o one again!

Assume your last pic of the trailer also shows the tires w/spacers? Nice!!

You're probably going to like the bedliner on the front of the trailer. Considering that myself seeing all the rock chips on the rattle can paint job I did on mine. Bedliner should hold up much nicer! Rattle can variety from auto store? I used that stuff for the undercoating on my fenders and it's holding up great.

Looking forward to your 4runner build as well. Paul's certainly turned out nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior