3 point suspension question

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Sorry for the late reply, you could fabricate new front mounts out of heavier material, and a larger web to distribute stress, that's the best way, or you could just add some gusseting and plate over the existing structure, could add a crossmember at the top of the mount too.

rrliljedahl

Observer
I have a new question about the front mounts on my pivot suspension.
They are 2x4 aluminum box tubing but with no sleeves or bushings holding the grade 8 bolt.
Is that a problem?
image.jpg
image.jpg

rrliljedahl

Observer
As a side note, we pressurized the auxiliary fuel tank that Justin Marquand made for me. It had multiple pin hole leaks in the welded seams which drove my new welder crazy trying to fix!

ExpoMike

Man, really sorry to hear what happened. Words can't even describe my feelings about individuals who do this type of crap to people. As for your question about the front mounts, if this is tubing that is bolted to a fixed mount, you will want some sort of bushing to prevent the tube from collapsing as it is flexed. It could be as simple as a solid piece of alumiunum slid into the tube and takes up the space, which a hole for the bolt to hold it all together to putting is a piece of thick wall tubing welded into the hole where the bolt goes through. You basically don't want it be able to compress the main tube with the bolt.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I have a new question about the front mounts on my pivot suspension.
They are 2x4 aluminum box tubing but with no sleeves or bushings holding the grade 8 bolt.
Is that a problem?
View attachment 267416
View attachment 267417

You need to get a competent fabricator to design those mounts. I would not trust that to support 4K lbs. For one thing, all that weight is cantilevered off the frame and relies on a weld from a questionable welder. From the angle of the upright it looks to be putting a torsional load on the frame and you are putting a lot of weight on a single wall thickness. The aluminum tubing is soft, the bolt head is concentrating all that force on a small diameter. You can easily crush that tubing just by tightening that bolt to the necessary torque value. It could deform the tubing or punch right through. That bolt will never be tight.

rrliljedahl

Observer
I made a few changes per recommendations.

A steel beam with gussets was welded between the 2 front verticle supports and the wood was replaced with a 1 inch thick HDPE over the top of this beam.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hopefully that will be sufficient.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

rrliljedahl

Observer
When we went to put the stainless water tank in between the frame rails, we discovered that Justin's welding had humped the tank up in the middle putting it above the flatbed rails. Not a good situation when trying to mount a camper on the same flatbed. After much discussion and worrying, my new fabricator agreed to try and bend it back flat

It looked pretty bad when we started.
image.jpg

He welded supports to hold it down on 1 end of his table.
image.jpg

Large C clamps with steel rail was use on the other end to pull it back down. We had to go about 2 inches past being level to get it to stay flat when the tension was released. We then filled it with water and none of the welds leaked. I was amazed!

The tank is now sitting flat between the frame rails of my truck.
image.jpg

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
looking good - glad to see you are recovering from the earlier issues with poor fabrication!

javajoe79

Fabricator
Let's hear who is doing the fab work now. They look like they do nice work and their shop looks awesome! Anyone with a fab table like in the pics means business.

rrliljedahl

Observer
It is a small shop near Asheville, NC.

Myricks Custom Metal Fabrication
181-2 Reems Creek Rd, Weaverville, NC 28787
(828) 645-5800

Great guys who patiently straightened Justin Marquands destruction of my truck.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
So is that guy in jail, in the hospital, or back on the street to work his magic on someone else unsuspecting?

rrliljedahl

Observer
In early Sept, he posted online with pics that he rolled his tricked out Suzuki Samurai and totaled it. He also claims to have fractured his C-5 vertebral body in his neck as well as cut off the top part of an ear. He says he needed surgery to put himself back together again. If he did fracture C5, he is lucky that he is not stuck in a wheel chair driving it with his thumb and index finger!

Karma????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior