why 33s and not 32s?

Toiyabe

Adventurer
265/75r16 at 32's will be extremely similar to 255/85r16's

Both of those have nearly the same rotating mass. You will notice a slight difference in speedometer reading but in a drag race both sizes would yield similar results. However stepping up to 285's and increasing diameter and rotating mass would be a very noticeable increase.

My 2 cents, go with 265/75R16's. It's the most commonly found tire size no matter where you go. And for me to hit any obstacles bigger than what I can do in those, I think lockers would come before tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree, as the weight of the tire is highly contingent on each tire.
There is a differ NCR in diameter as well.

Here's an example of why it's hard to make a blanket statement about tire sizes and weight.

Three different 265/75-16 tires, all made by General. All weights and sizes are measured by me.
General Grabber AT2 in LR E is 31.6" in diameter, and weighs 57lbs.
General Grabber Red Letter in LR C is 32.2" in diameter, and it's 49lbs.
General Grabber Red Letter in LR E is 31.9"' and weighs 65lbs.

I've had all of the, and the measurements are mine. There was a noticeable decrease in acceleration from the first to the second, as well as a drop in mileage, confirmed by monitoring, and the tire and wheel combination was lighter. The third was a killer, costing almost a full mpg over the AT2.

I considered the 255/85-16, but the combination of another inch of diameter and terrible tire selection drove me to the 265/75-16s.

Now, my 1990 4Runner has 4.56s, and I like the way it drives on 265/75-16s more than it did on the 31s that it came with...

adrstout

Adventurer
I love my 32s (265/75r16) but sometimes wish I went with the 235/85s to get a e range tire without sacrificing too much in the weight department.

I don't think there is a huge advantage to 33s over 32s-1/2 an inch more under the axle??? I'd love to eventually do the whole regear (and add lcokers), lift, and 33s things someday but right now armor and getting some other projects done on the truck are far more important.

Why 33's and not 32's? Because they're bigger...!

I see so many people starting a build thinking "I don't want to go to any extreme" and they ALWAYS end up at the extreme. So to cut to the chase, don't waste your money on 32's and then 33's, just go for the 33's.

summerprophet

Adventurer
I am running 33's, on a 99 4runner with the V6.

Given that you are running the newer 4 cylinder, I am guessing we are running similar amounts of horsepower.

33's are as big as you can go with the little Toyota motors without regearing. but honestly, when these run out of tread, I am heading to 32's.

The biggest difference, is the snap of acceleration in turning bigger heavier tires. Our vehicles don't produce huge amounts of torque, and rotating those tires from a dead stop is really obvious as you increase sizes. Other advantages is throttle control in 4LO, as in my case, the gearing is a little high to begin with. I am not sure if Toyota redesigned the rack and pinion on the new models, but running larger tires, certainly does a number on the rack in the 3rd gens.

Also there is a lot of options in the 32" range.

Given all the limitations in the 4runner, (and the terrain I usually travel in), I think my next set of tires will be the lightest all terrains I can find. So far, it looks like the old BFG AT's top the list in that category. They get a lot of flak for being boring and unchanged for so long, but the fact is, they sell a lot of them, and for a good reason.

My Toyo MT's are ridiculously good traction in all terrain, and are tough as nails, but the truth is, that they are heavy as hell, take a LOT of weight to balance, and offer a pretty stiff ride until aired down to 12 or 15 psi. Not great if you plan on doing any highway travel.

Changing over to BFG AT's just means I will have to go into 4x4 earlier, and stop being silly in really deep snow. Given as we don't have lot of rock around here, I can live with losing the 1/2 inch of clearance.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
I've had 32s then 33s in my first gen tacoma. You definitely roll over object easier off road and the 33s look awesome. But other than that, the 32s were better in every way: power, weight, on road handling, cost, mpg, crawling. I never turned around on an obstacle because I didn't have that extra inch of tire. I also don't do hard core stuff. 32s are just more practice. But damn the 33s looked awesome :)

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I see so many people starting a build thinking "I don't want to go to any extreme" and they ALWAYS end up at the extreme. So to cut to the chase, don't waste your money on 32's and then 33's, just go for the 33's.

Except for me, 9 years on 32" on my 4runner. AND, 33" aren't extreme.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Definetely agree with most here. I run a 33. I like the look of it, I dropped in lower gears to compensate. I love em. Drives with good revs and same "seat of the pants feel" as I had with 32's.

However, as was pointed out above, it will depend on where you are doing most of your driving. I can only comment on CO and Utah. I know that my 33's give me almost no advantage offroad here, but do put more stress on the components. Its not too bad though, but something I have to keep in mind.

Honestly, I got them because I liked the look with the 33's, and I got a good deal on them. Now, that said, I have a different truck, and I don't rub at all, with stock wheels. That would play a HUGE role in my decision, as I couldn't stand any rubbing. It sounds like the OP has a good set of options in the 32 range, and if I were him, I'd stick with the 32's.

kpla51

Let's say I go 255/85/16 since it's skinnier wouldn't it be like a 32 in a way? Since less resistance. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also would that skinny of 33 rub any if I have my truck leveled and on stock steelies or is only wide 33s that have that issue.

kpla51

good point would a 32 fit under the truck? Like i said i don't wheel a whole lot but do appreciate the looks of 33s. So its a tough decision. With the money i could save i could buy some armor and extra gear.

troyboy162

Adventurer
Dont lift or mod unless you have to. The truck will never be more all around functional then as it comes from the factory. In this age of lifting with tires, a big truck like that is going to look cream puff with anything smaller then 37"

kpla51

Dont lift or mod unless you have to. The truck will never be more all around functional then as it comes from the factory. In this age of lifting with tires, a big truck like that is going to look cream puff with anything smaller then 37"
A big truck? its an access cab tacoma or were you referring to a different posting? And as of versatility stock i was surprised how much a stock jeep can do. They complete the rubicon trail stock too. But I'm not sure of a stock Tacoma's performance I've never looked it up.

troyboy162

Adventurer
yup thats a big truck for small tires. The jeep is another conversation. Your truck will surprise you when you get a chance to try it out.

2014 Warthog

Explorer
I've got a 4runner which is pretty darn close to the Tacoma access cab frame and suspension. I have 31.6" tires now and they have done pretty great, though I do scrape a lot and have less grabby surface area than 33" by quite a bit.

When I upgrade the tires I'm going to give 32.2" a try. 33s on the runners means rubbing and is close to demanding a gear change. Then once you change gears, going back to 31.6 is a sort of a no go. With 32s (275/75R17) there is far less chance of rubbing and less need for regearing, better mileage and just that much more ground contact aired up or down. And looks just that much better. Seems like a nice safe compromise. Then if 32 isn't enough I'll decide if I want to regear and go with 33s 3-4 years later when they wear out :) AN dif on the other hand the drop in milage wasn;t worth the looks or performance, I can go back to 31s without any trouble!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94