100 SERIES CARGO AREA CONVERSION--Has found a good new home

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
GONE TO A LOCAL LX470 OWNER, 11/1/14

Tom Petersen (RIP) used to say that in all of his late night television ads when he'd throw in some gimcrack if you'd pony up for one of his washers or vacuums . . . Free is a Very Good Price.

What we have here will be a fantastic opportunity for anyone who needs it, though it's nothing better than a bunch of craved up plywood to someone who doesn't.

SO . . . Do you have a 100 Series Toyota or Lexus? (If no, might as well stop reading.)

AND . . . Do you want to fill out the area behind the second row seats with a permanent storage/sleeping area? (Ditto if no.)

If you're still reading, the next step is to read through this thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...s-LX470-Rear-Cabin-Conversion?highlight=LX470

to see how we built this:

attachment.php

Okay, so here's the story of what's happened since. I sold the LX470 to another ExPo member who drove it for a while, but then he decided to get a different setup. To make things as simple as possible, we decided to put the rear back to stock and I bought back the conversion. But I don't have a Hundy anymore; I bought it back to get the battery, inverter/charger, drawer slides and a few other valuable components, which I expect to use in another project.

So what I have that I can't use is the plywood construction, which at one level is just cut-up plywood, but at another level it represents dozens of hours of Paul Jensen's careful work and a way to get very custom sleeping and storage arrangements for your 100. All of the sides are custom cut to match the interior trim, the sturdy drawer just needs new slides, and the electrical and plumbing components can be added or ignored.

It looks like this now:

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

The parts were held together by screws and taken apart by unscrewing them, so putting it back together is mostly a matter of reassembly with screws. There's enough detail in the build thread to see what needs to be done.

As stressed, no charge for this pile of ply, but don't take it from another prospective user unless you feel pretty confident you want to use it in your truck. Local pickup only (obviously) on the west edge of Portland.

Ask questions here, but send me a Private Message if you want the stuff. If multiple people want it, we'll go in order of me getting the PMs, giving each person a couple of days to come fetch the pile before moving on to the next person.

It's no great struggle to throw this away, but it you did want to replicate our rear area conversion, this would be a huge head start.

Last edited:

fireball

Explorer
That's a mighty fine offer! Hopefully someone can take advantage of this. I remember reading through that thread a few months back when I was planning on building my rear drawer system and cargo area. Pretty cool how different folks find good solutions for their different needs!

P.S. Jay thanks for posting up my truck as the photo of the day, very kind of you!

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Just picked up by a nearby Hundy owner (ExPo white, no less) who was pleased to have it for the time he'll save.

Thanks for your consideration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles