Possible Gen 1 Purchase, Reality Check Needed

steewoz

Observer
Alright gang. Here's the short story: I'm not mitsu guy. I'm a vw syncro guy. But I'm also a fan of classic 4x4s of the boxy variety, and kind of in need of one (wants. needs. whatever). I recently came across, what I think is, a pretty good deal on a '90 Montero LWB LS. Honestly, I had never even noticed that this vehicle existed until a buddy said he was going to sell his a couple weeks ago. I immediately started doing some research on it, and in that short amount of time, I've kind of fallen in love with these things. I just completed a nationwide CL search and I'm confident that my buddies is worth it at $4200. More on that later.

I have two concerns:

1. The Gen 1 Montero does not exactly meet my needs for a capable 4x4 vehicle without some modification (33s, skids, and a locker mostly). I know a Gen 2 would alleviate some of that, but I'm smitten with that Gen 1 body style, so alas, I must pay the price for classic style. Vanity is a *****.

2. These things aren't exactly dime a dozen in the states anymore, but they do appear to be littered across the rest of the Earth, from what I can tell.

So with those two concerns in mind, I guess I have two questions before I can or can't move forward with a purchase:

1. It doesn't appear to be very difficult to squeeze some 33s onto a Gen 1, but an ARB locker isn't cheap and neither is skid plate fabrication. Any other options for a locker out there?

2. And more importantly, how hard am I going to have to look for replacement parts (mechanical or otherwise) just to spruce this thing up and keep it running well?

I'd like to think that in 2014 with the rise of global commerce, I shouldn't have to worry too much about sourcing parts since they seem to be everywhere else but here... but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I know a lot of you guys have already gone down this bumpy road and live happy, well adjusted lives with a Gen 1, so I would be really appreciative of some advice.

Thanks!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Some folks have swapped in the locking rear axle from the gen 2, a google search will tell you how. As for parts, I see all generations of these trucks in the salvage yard quite frequently.

ultrakill

Adventurer
I purchased a Gen 1 about 19 months ago, love it. Been very reliable so far, but you will run into problems that need fixing just like any other 25+ year old vehicle.

That said, normal vehicle upkeep aside, the thing is build like a rock and takes a pounding from me at least once a month.

I wheel hard and have never had a trail breakdown.

I love it, and would recommend if you have a couple grand to do repairs/upgrades go for it.

plh

Explorer
My opinions are the same as ultrakill and jeep-N-montero. 33" tires fit without much problem

ultrakill

Adventurer
Let me answer your questions better instead of just giving my opinion...

1. The Gen 1 Montero does not exactly meet my needs for a capable 4x4 vehicle without some modification (33s, skids, and a locker mostly). I know a Gen 2 would alleviate some of that, but I'm smitten with that Gen 1 body style, so alas, I must pay the price for classic style. Vanity is a *****.

The Gen 1 actually can fit 33s easily, torque up torsion bars in front, if rear is sagging like it was in my '90 LWB then just pick up some OME (old man emu) rear coil springs (~$193.39 from Rocky Road Outfitters, these give 1.5"+ lift in back from stock height or 2.5 depending on sag). My '90 RS came with factory skids everywhere on the bottom, I got the front diff/axle skid, cat skid, oil pan skid, and fuel tank skid in back, various other small ones I haven't looked to see what they protect. I have not installed locking rear in back, since my Montero has factory LSD in rear (think it was an option with bouncy seat), but I have installed a Aussie Locker in front. Although the axle seals usually have to be replaced at the same time, if you have done diff work before it should be pretty straight forward.

2. These things aren't exactly dime a dozen in the states anymore, but they do appear to be littered across the rest of the Earth, from what I can tell.

This is actually not that big of a problem, but yeah, some parts are hard to find. Where I live there are almost no Gen 1 Monteros (or dodge raiders) in the local pick n pulls, I would have to travel 200 miles most of the time. Most general parts are readily available on RockAuto, even Autozone/Napa if you go that route. The local Mitsubishi dealer even has most everything you need (in a warehouse across country) and they would be happy to order it.

So with those two concerns in mind, I guess I have two questions before I can or can't move forward with a purchase:
1. It doesn't appear to be very difficult to squeeze some 33s onto a Gen 1, but an ARB locker isn't cheap and neither is skid plate fabrication. Any other options for a locker out there?

Like Jeep-n-Montero mentioned, a common job for Gen 1 Montys is to swap in a Gen 2 SR rear-axle which has factory lockers. The earlier 3.0 L Gen 2s would be a straight bolt-on I believe, but later versions (Gen 2.5) had different gearing.
And Like I mentioned earlier, I swapped in an Aussie Locker in the front, as have others, and that has worked out really well so far.
ARB front and rear are available but like you said that is expensive.

2. And more importantly, how hard am I going to have to look for replacement parts (mechanical or otherwise) just to spruce this thing up and keep it running well?

Most replacement parts for main engine/driveline/suspension/brakes/etc is easy to find. RockAuto is where I normally get all my parts. The hard parts to find are interior trim components you usually have to turn to the local pick n pull for stuff like that.

Good Luck!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I loved my gen I's. I had both a LWB (2) and a SWB (1). I've ran 33's on both w/out much issue other than torquing the front torsion bars. I also used longer springs (from Valley Springs in Dixon, CA) in back & upgraded to gen 2 coils in back when the original springs were worn out. If I were to do it again, I'd just throw a set of gen 2 springs on.

I'd love another gen 1 but honestly the ride in my gen 2 simply has me spoiled LOL. I'd drive the Gen 1 regularly for nostalgia's sake.

BTW, car-part.com is a website that catalogues parts available from pick-n-pull's across the US and is also an invaluable resource for parts that are no longer available new.

HTH!

steewoz

Observer
$4,200 for a gen 1???????????

Correct.

1990 Auto LWB LS from AZ (in MA for 1 year now). Previously owned by a Mitsu tech who rebuilt it for his son... who then went out and bought a Honda.
192k on the chassis. 80k on the motor which was rebuilt from the block up 10k ago.
5 brand new BFG ATs (with matching spare rim)
new heater core (because it just went)
newer Superwinch locking front hubs
about 10k on the shocks
new master cylinder
freshly rebuilt brakes
new distributor
battery is 10k old
exhaust is good enough
radiator was rodded... stays cool in the mid 90s

original paint, good shape but could use a wax/detail. Maybe a fresh coat down the road. A few small dings, but nothing really. The hood is a little banged up.
bumpers/grille are in fantastic shape.
interior is in decent shape.. just needs a steam clean and detail. Electrics work. Cruise works. Cold AC etc etc. All options are functional except...
needs a radio/speakers. whatever
NO. RUST.

Anything else I should be weary of? I was surprised by how well it drove. I did notice that it was a stiff shift getting it out of Park. No idea if that's anything to be concerned with... maybe I'm just soft.

When I compare it to everything else for sale on CL, I don't see anything as clean or well maintained comparatively. Maybe there's plenty out there for less, but how much to get them where this one is today? Exactly.

ultrakill

Adventurer
Correct.

1990 Auto LWB LS from AZ (in MA for 1 year now). Previously owned by a Mitsu tech who rebuilt it for his son... who then went out and bought a Honda.
192k on the chassis. 80k on the motor which was rebuilt from the block up 10k ago.
5 brand new BFG ATs (with matching spare rim)
new heater core (because it just went)
newer Superwinch locking front hubs
about 10k on the shocks
new master cylinder
freshly rebuilt brakes
new distributor
battery is 10k old
exhaust is good enough
radiator was rodded... stays cool in the mid 90s

original paint, good shape but could use a wax/detail. Maybe a fresh coat down the road. A few small dings, but nothing really. The hood is a little banged up.
bumpers/grille are in fantastic shape.
interior is in decent shape.. just needs a steam clean and detail. Electrics work. Cruise works. Cold AC etc etc. All options are functional except...
needs a radio/speakers. whatever
NO. RUST.

Anything else I should be weary of? I was surprised by how well it drove. I did notice that it was a stiff shift getting it out of Park. No idea if that's anything to be concerned with... maybe I'm just soft.

When I compare it to everything else for sale on CL, I don't see anything as clean or well maintained comparatively. Maybe there's plenty out there for less, but how much to get them where this one is today? Exactly.

Seems pretty solid. I bought my '90 RS for ~3300 and had to do brakes/tires/AC charge/etc etc all myself.

Definitely better than buying a beater/rough one for 1000 and having transmission or engine bomb you in a month.

Oh and I'm not sure where you are located but I'm in Cali so I had to be careful about smog. But with the freshly rebuilt engine, the smog readings were incredibly low.

Oso

Forest Defecator
1995 SR rear axle will give you a locker, better springs with 1.5" more lift, and rear disc brakes. Most other years' yokes will not be compatible with the driveshft. The 95 is a direct bolt in. Oh, and you get stronger trailing arms as well

I'm running 33/10.5 BFG ATs. The wheel wells are filled nicely and the tires are great. No rubbing and lots of grip - at least in the desert where I usually run.

Replacement parts are easily found. With the exception of the headlight washer parts and body panels, I've found everything i need in local parts stores, dealers, or rockauto.com. After that I look to car-part.com

Don't be surprised if it takes you everywhere as it sits bone stock. The Gen 1's are solid rigs.

A lot of the Gen 2 parts are compatible. Torsion bars, front brakes, control arms, steering box, etc.... So upgrades are easy to do as maintenance requires.

Last edited:

1morebike

Adventurer
Bought a 1990 for $1800 last year. It has 280,000 on it with about 100,000 on a replacment engine. I have replaced pretty much everything in the front end new timing belt, tires and i cant even remember what else at th u s point. Its never ket me down and i want to keep it for ever. And just so you know i came from an 80 series land cruiser and the montero is so much more fun and alot cheaper to repair

jlocster

Explorer
Time capsule...I was surprised by all the rust in the engine compartment though, given the condition of the rest of the vehicle.

steewoz

Observer
You guys really didn't do a great job of talking me out of it, especially you, DroverRover! Your comment over on the VOT thread really threw me for a loop. For you to give that much cred to your Trooper over your LR and LC really seals the deal for me. As soon as you said it was more fun to wheel your 90s Trooper over your other two heavy hitters, it all became very clear.

Ultrakill, X13, Raptortruckin and the rest of you, thank you for the insight. It's been very helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior