Shock Suggestions?

mires

Adventurer
Hey guys. I'd like to pick your brains a little on the subject of shocks. I have a 2001 Montero Sport that is stock height right now so I am looking for something that will work at stock height but also work when I add the OME rear coils in the near future (within 6 months). I don't mind a firm ride and ideally would like to do this only once. I'll likely own the vehicle another 50k miles or so and would like them to last the life of the vehicle.

mires

Adventurer
So install the OME shocks now and the coils later, it's that easy.

I've heard from multiple people (with various vehicles) that the OME shocks do not last as long as they had expected. If they can't last more than 20K miles or so at their premium price, I would rather try something else out. Thinking maybe Bilstein but I'm not sure. Just looking for suggestions. Do you have personal experience with the OME shocks and if so, what do you think? Thanks for your reply!

RangeBrover

Explorer
I don't have much experience with Montero's but I ran the OME setup on my 200 for over 30k miles and they were still going strong without issue. Now I run Fox internal bypass/remote reservoir units on the JK mostly for the adjustable settings of the ride depending on conditions.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy old man emu again, just go with the heavy setups, they seem to last longer.

ultrakill

Adventurer
I've been running Skyjacker Nitro shocks in my rig for ~10,000 miles. A lot of those miles have been offroad, I go wheeling quite often. These things are really beefy and for the price they are probably the best I would say.

The Nitros I have are very stiff, possibly too stiff, but I'm happy with them. Some people prefer the Hydro, which are somewhat softer. Either way, Skyjacker shocks are quite reasonably priced and are known to last a while, you should get 50K easily.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
What kind of Mitsu do you have?

For me, I'd choose KYB's hands down no questions asked. They made the OEM shocks for mitsu and my original 3 position adjustables have lasted nearly 300K (Most last well over 100k miles if not 200k). I will probably bite the bullet and by them again from Mitsu just because of how well they've held up so well for so long.

I'd also buy just the regular KYB's if I elect to go non-adjustable.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Not a good option of KYB's for the sport.

Do you really need the rear lift coils? I was planning on getting them but the fact is I can already clear 265's so what's the point really. I would rather have airlifts that are adjustable for a load than stuck with one spring rate.

Bilsteins are the way to go.

mires

Adventurer
Do you really need the rear lift coils? I was planning on getting them but the fact is I can already clear 265's so what's the point really. I would rather have airlifts that are adjustable for a load than stuck with one spring rate.

Bilsteins are the way to go.

Main reason for the coils is to cure the squatty rear end. It's fine with no load but with even one passenger in the front and one in the rear, I bottom out going over most bumps or railroad tracks. I can't put a load in it at all without it getting pretty squatty.

I also wanted to move up a tire size when my 265's wear out. I'd like to go to a 255/85/16 and I don't think those will clear without the rear lift coils.

Thanks for your input on the Bilsteins. I see you have them on your non lifted sport. What kind of changes did you experience?

montypower

Adventure Time!
OME Nitro "Sport" are the best for the money. I've read many people happy with them after 80-100k miles. Bilsteins are junk in comparison. Remember the OME suspension was designed for Australia where it gets used much harder than in the US.

yzfgsx

Observer
OME Nitrocharger shocks with heavy springs, OME torsion bars. Over 80,000. Never had a problem, still going strong. I definitely will get them again.

Last edited:

YOURDOCTORONLY

Observer
Hello from Puerto Rico!! I have a Montero lifted aprox. 2 inches and with Rancho shocks. they are greate but smooth on the road, need to try them on mud or sand to see how they works on my Montero

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94