Day One...not that this is going to go fast, or anything

dlh62c

Explorer
I've also started working with Aluminess on a custom front winch bumper setup, probably with full cab brush protection, plus some other ideas that I've been kicking around for years. It'll take six weeks to a couple of months, but should add some helpful features.

Keep us up to date. It'll be intresting how they handle the tilting of the cab into the design.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Keep us up to date. It'll be intresting how they handle the tilting of the cab into the design.

They've apparently been building quite a few of them. The way they handle it is by hinging the two front tubes, and using a bolt to hold the two outside tubes onto tabs. Remove the two bolts (or use pins too, would work), and hinge the whole mess forward. I don't particularly like that method, so I'm requesting a solid mount guard that is angled forward to account for cab tilt. 2" tubing.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I've also started working with Aluminess on a custom front winch bumper setup, probably with full cab brush protection, plus some other ideas that I've been kicking around for years. It'll take six weeks to a couple of months, but should add some helpful features.

You need to check what I have on my Fuso - the bumper setup works really well.

10288023_10101851833652429_1858725574_o[1].jpg

image071[1].jpg

david506th

Adventurer
My theory on the guard I plan to build for our FUSO is to build the bumper then build a bar that extends on the outside edge of the cab. Going from the front corners, following up and over the cab and hooking back into the frame somewhere. This is just theory right now. Mount my side mirrors to the brush guard tube. Then use the mirror mounts on the cab to make some kind of removable swing arm that attaches to the brush bar but can be removed/unclipped when the cab needs to tilt forward. Once removed, as long as the doors are shut the whole cab should be clear of the brush bars since they would be to the outside of cab body.

My hope is that this still allows me to (1) tilt the cab without any major work, (2) protect the cab from branches and provide minimal rollover protect and (3) allow for little to no modification to the watertight integrity of the cab.

Czechsix

I've seen pictures of Aluminess bumpers on Fuso's, but the protection at the corners appears lacking.

Have they done a re-design?

View attachment 256988 View attachment 256991

They haven't done a re-design that I'm aware of, but they're very flexible, and getting more protection for the corners is something I'm interested in obtaining. The newer FG's also have a radiator mounted low on the passenger side, and I can just see getting a creosote branch right through it if there's no protection. So I've requested a small re-design for that. These trucks really don't need the tapered edge, there's no chance they'll ever use that, and I'd opt for more protection, rather than looks.

Czechsix

You need to check what I have on my Fuso - the bumper setup works really well.

View attachment 256994

View attachment 256993

General angles that you've got there, pugslyyy are basically what I'm looking for.

I'd like more protection though, and I'll be putting additional receiver points on the front of the bumper also, both for a standard hitch, and setting up rack mounts. I plan on having the brush guard come up higher to protect more of the cab, and have the top of the bumper made with euro type tread plate. Front of bumper and other surfaces to be smooth. Opting for a 16.5ti winch, with powerpole mounts too, an HF/VHF antenna mount, etc etc.

Howard70

Adventurer
Czechsix:

You might contact the EarthCruiser folks up in Bend. I think they sell both the brush bar/roof rack combos and the aluminum bumpers that they put on EarthCruisers. We have both on our EC and I really like them. Here are a couple of photos
Prima_Terra_Oil_Check_DSC_9664-L.jpg

ToCapitolReefNP-L.jpg

OregonButtes_WY-XL.jpg

It takes me a minute to lower the bumper if I have my "cheater bar" in hand, or three minutes if I have to get the bar from it's stowed location. Bumper provides great protection, is robust and light. The EC folks have also designed and are producing an alloy skid plate that mates with the bumper (I don't have a photo of it).

Howard

Last edited:

pugslyyy

General angles that you've got there, pugslyyy are basically what I'm looking for.

I'd like more protection though, and I'll be putting additional receiver points on the front of the bumper also, both for a standard hitch, and setting up rack mounts. I plan on having the brush guard come up higher to protect more of the cab, and have the top of the bumper made with euro type tread plate. Front of bumper and other surfaces to be smooth. Opting for a 16.5ti winch, with powerpole mounts too, an HF/VHF antenna mount, etc etc.

I really like not having to unbolt anything, etc, to tilt the cab. It takes some planning but it can be done - and I think the 'prerunner' style front bumper works out just fine. I have a 16.5on mine, it is a very good winch and has been able to handle the load just fine.

The approach angle of the Fuso is crazy good. As long as it is better than the departure angle you really don't have anything to worry about.

1922513_10152260121213340_1573639783_n[1].jpg

1497500_10152260122478340_897158088_n[1].jpg

(we flogged it pretty good in these pictures, deliberately getting stuck in 34 degrees and rain in NC clay)

Czechsix

Howard: Interesting, and thanks for those pics!

Aluminess down here in San Diego area actually does the bumpers for them here in the states, from my understanding.

Even though it's a fast procedure to flip that bumper forward, I'd prefer to have a fixed bumper that gives clearance for the cab to tilt forward, along with some other features I'm thinking about, like additional rack attachment points, antenna mounts, etc. Aluminess also does those roof racks for them, and I'm speccing a slightly heavier duty rack that will have no issues with someone standing on it.

Pugslyyy: yep, approach angle on these trucks is not an issue that I've seen. I wouldn't mind a prerunner style bumper, but since Aluminess is right in the area, I don't mind either going with the angled plate heavy duty style either. About the heaviest test I can think of that it'll have to go through is either a frontal impact, or hitting deer at speed...or, God forbid...moose. Deer we could more than likely drive away from, but moose would be a show stopper.

Last edited:

Howard70

Adventurer
Howard: Interesting, and thanks for those pics!

Aluminess down here in San Diego area actually does the bumpers for them here in the states, from my understanding.

Hello Czechsix:

Aluminess does not do the bumper, but does do the brush bar. I think Aluminess does the bumper for the ATW/Sportsmobile Fuso. The EC bumper came from Australia. We looked at fixed bumpers, but eventually decided we liked the trim fit of the dropping bumper better. However, a fixed bumper that clears the tilted cab is safer when you leave your truck for someone else to service.....

Howard

pugslyyy

Pugslyyy: yep, approach angle on these trucks is not an issue that I've seen. I wouldn't mind a prerunner style bumper, but since Aluminess is right in the area, I don't mind either going with the angled plate heavy duty style either. About the heaviest test I can think of that it'll have to go through is either a frontal impact, or hitting deer at speed...or, God forbid...moose. Deer we could more than likely drive away from, but moose would be a show stopper.

I haven't hit a moose with mine, but I did hit a cow on the open range in the middle of Nevada one night. (crested a hill, 2 cows walking across in opposite directions and nothing I could do)

While you hope you never need it, the prerunner style and high driving position really helps to knock the moose/cow/sasquatch down and under v. up and over.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I haven't hit a moose with mine, but I did hit a cow on the open range in the middle of Nevada one night. (crested a hill, 2 cows walking across in opposite directions and nothing I could do)

While you hope you never need it, the prerunner style and high driving position really helps to knock the moose/cow/sasquatch down and under v. up and over.

Rolling over a cow would be a big bump!, but much better than going under and the cow going over.

Once I came within a foot of hitting a moose at 65mph, and I could look straight under its belly. That still gives me the shivers.

Czechsix

Hello Czechsix:

Aluminess does not do the bumper, but does do the brush bar. I think Aluminess does the bumper for the ATW/Sportsmobile Fuso. The EC bumper came from Australia. We looked at fixed bumpers, but eventually decided we liked the trim fit of the dropping bumper better. However, a fixed bumper that clears the tilted cab is safer when you leave your truck for someone else to service.....

Howard

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Aluminess has a few of the roof racks right now in their shop, waiting for powdercoating and to be sent up north.

As you say, the trim fit is nice...but for me, I don't mind having something sticking out. Matter of fact I might drop a couple of clearance wands onto the corners if it sticks out too far. These trucks have such a short wheelbase that I don't think another foot is going to be a bad thing, especially if that extra foot is due to other features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles