Dronestagram -Some interesting aerial photos taken by drones

Joanne

Adventurer
I'm getting ready to build a quad rotor specifically for video. I love the look of high angle photographs and video. It provides a perspective the you just can't normally capture.

Joanne

aluke0510

Adventurer
Isn't the legality of drones for personal use still in question? I thought while a key case was dismissed that it was still a battle? While it isn't overly different than aerial photography from airplanes, helicopters, powered paragliders, etc. other than a actual human is present with the device taking photos...

Advantages for photography of planes and helicopters are still clear where you can cover significant ground and achieve higher quantity of shots over varied landscapes. These are nice because they offer the ability for lower view points and less obtrusive presence... Kind of a one trick pony though. You can only have so many in a portfolio unless it is all you do...

It's a lot of money for a good setup as well; unless you just go with a gopro and want video or do the spray and pray. Biggest use seems hobbiest, aerial video, and real estate marketing.

For me I'll stay with the good ole Cessna with door off and gyro...

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Is that the elk herd near the Manzanar site near Lone Pine CA? If so, we saw them yesterday, lots of vehicles pulled over on the freeway, out taking pictures, probably about 40 elk in the herd, lots of males, must have been a younger group.

yes, that's the same herd.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Isn't the legality of drones for personal use still in question? I thought while a key case was dismissed that it was still a battle? While it isn't overly different than aerial photography from airplanes, helicopters, powered paragliders, etc. other than a actual human is present with the device taking photos...

Advantages for photography of planes and helicopters are still clear where you can cover significant ground and achieve higher quantity of shots over varied landscapes. These are nice because they offer the ability for lower view points and less obtrusive presence... Kind of a one trick pony though. You can only have so many in a portfolio unless it is all you do...

It's a lot of money for a good setup as well; unless you just go with a gopro and want video or do the spray and pray. Biggest use seems hobbiest, aerial video, and real estate marketing.

For me I'll stay with the good ole Cessna with door off and gyro...

Not sure about the legal issues, but the aerial drone stuff is awesome for architectural firms. Here is a video shot by the teenage son of our concrete contractor using a simple GoPro. Quality is completely acceptable, and the video was a big hit for us. This is a project I recently designed and completed through construction. I'm pretty happy with it!
[video=vimeo;107652472]https://vimeo.com/107652472[/video]
https://vimeo.com/107652472

Gooseberry

Explorer
b3a09ecbc5730cfe3c67faabea96ed0a.jpg

Yep they have some good uses

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
Drones, quad rotor's, whatever their called and the photos they take are awesome...as long as the operators show respect for those around them.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I use mine mostly when I'm in the middle of nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is probably the best place. If you are in town at a sibling's house and get above the houses and find out there is a pretty strong breeze, it can put your $60 (thankfully!) waaaaay up in a maple tree. I am still waiting to see if it will ever make it down.

moabian

I've been flying RC dual-rotor collective pitch helis for 10 years and recently switched to quads...now have 3 of the DJI Phantom series including their newest Phantom 3 Pro. DJI is currently the market leader and you can get into a good one (camera included) for under $1000. There are several other manufacturers (Blade, Parrot and more) with smaller and cheaper hobby-type quads out there that come with cameras...or you can easily spend a LOT more and put your expensive DSLR up in the air. While the new quads with gps stabilization are incredibly easy to fly, any new pilots should spend time on a simulator such as RealFlight first. A few computer crashes will save some $$ (and perhaps injuries) in the long run.

There's a lot of talk currently about invasion of privacy. If you get one, be smart. Don't fly it around crowds or bedroom windows...or close to wildlife. And by all means, stay FAR AWAY from any airports. The newer DJIs actually have software that prevents them from being flown within a certain radius of known airports.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94