AEV RAM At Sema.

Viggen

Just here...
Darn, I think you're correct. I like me a shorter truck.

A.

Check out the Ultimate Adventure Project Super Dirty

This AEV is a solid meh. Regular cabs really do not appeal to me, and most it seems. It is a generic flatbed on the back and this, like all modern full size trucks are gigantic. Every year, they just seem to get larger and larger.

Honestly, I would rather have seen them venture away from Chrycrap and pick up a new Colorado and build a really cool truck. Drove one the other day and it is damn nice. There really is nothing new here that you cannot do on your own.

Clutch

<---Pass
Check out the Ultimate Adventure Project Super Dirty

This AEV is a solid meh. Regular cabs really do not appeal to me, and most it seems. It is a generic flatbed on the back and this, like all modern full size trucks are gigantic. Every year, they just seem to get larger and larger.

Honestly, I would rather have seen them venture away from Chrycrap and pick up a new Colorado and build a really cool truck. Drove one the other day and it is damn nice. There really is nothing new here that you cannot do on your own.

While I do like RC's the only somewhat practical one is the Tundra, roughly the same amount of room behind the seat as my Tacoma, since I can't really haul people in the Taco anyways...nor plan on it in the near and distant future. The Tundra makes the most sense for me. I like the AEV, refreshing to see a no-BS work truck build, sure anyone can do the same without much effort...nice to see none-the-less...but in all reality a 3/4-1 ton is overkill me personally...1/2 tons seem about right. Tundra seems to be built like a Heavy-Half.

As for the Colorado...it looks good, not too impressed with the mpg's...little to close to the Silverado's numbers. Maybe if it got high 20's..I would get up off the couch..until then...it gets a "meh". That and I am sick of the size of my Tacoma...it is great for general running around...but load it up with, dirt bikes or snowmobiles, gear and go traveling..I hate it. Next truck is going to be a fullsize...

I was talking to guy on another forum, supposedly he works for some marketing focus group in Detroit...or some such thing.... he was telling me that the Colorado's target market is the Subaru Outback crowd....it is gonna have to get fan-flipping-tastic mileage to pull people away from their Suby's. Funny thing, I am considering a Forester for my commuter car...midsize truck isn't even on the radar anymore, and Toyota seems to be dragging their ******** in the sand with upgrading the Tacoma...giving up on it. Cripes, it still has rear drums...

Last edited:
You guys are funny :)

Random thoughts:
The point for us is to get people thinking, last year we built a crew cab "luxury" truck, this year we went no nonsense utility, figured we'd leave it to people to connect the dots and figure out that they could build something somewhere in between that fits their needs...Want a crew cab version of this years truck, no problem...thats the nice thing about the Ram's...their are hundreds of options to please everyone.

I ordered a truck for this build but it got here 5 days before SEMA, so I had to find a truck on the lot in NY...the electric transfer case..yeah that was a surprise, I have no idea why you can get that paired with a manual trans...but here it is. Seemed to work fine.

The bed floor is 7" higher than the standard bed. Everything is a tradeoff, if we had gone with 37s it could be lower of course. Add a Four Wheel Camper, you have the higher height, but you could offset that by using the space under for your water tank and actually end up with something with a pretty low CG. You also gain a ton of room on the sides compared to a traditional slide in unit.

Just drove this rig 1400 miles home from Vegas via Moab and Jackson Hole. The swampers are louder than a BFG, but truck drives great, I'm used to the Iroks, run them on most of my personal vehicles, they're better than you would think on the road for what they are. Wheeled a little bit in Moab, the rear is far too stiff unloaded and wheel travel was limited by that, it kept tending to pick up a rear, but that can all be dialed in depending on need. If there was a FWC on the back, it would have been fine I think. Might need some rear disconnects :) Manual trans combined with Cummins, Air Lockers and 41s aired down to 25psi made climbing about anything ridiculously easy. Snow in Jackson wasn't too deep, but driving along in 12-14" was unnoticeable.
Truck only got 15mpg on the way home (75mph) but we started with 95 miles on the engine, they don't tend to get good mileage till about 20K. The red 3500 w 37s (auto) we had with us got 18.6 on a drive from Durango to Moab one night, so I expect this one to settle in around 17-18mpg with the swampers.

This bed is 8.5' long I believe. Going to be perfect for two sleds.

I think thats all.

dh

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
You guys are funny :)

Random thoughts:
The point for us is to get people thinking, last year we built a crew cab "luxury" truck, this year we went no nonsense utility, figured we'd leave it to people to connect the dots and figure out that they could build something somewhere in between that fits their needs...Want a crew cab version of this years truck, no problem...thats the nice thing about the Ram's...their are hundreds of options to please everyone.

I ordered a truck for this build but it got here 5 days before SEMA, so I had to find a truck on the lot in NY...the electric transfer case..yeah that was a surprise, I have no idea why you can get that paired with a manual trans...but here it is. Seemed to work fine.

The bed floor is 7" higher than the standard bed. Everything is a tradeoff, if we had gone with 37s it could be lower of course. Add a Four Wheel Camper, you have the higher height, but you could offset that by using the space under for your water tank and actually end up with something with a pretty low CG. You also gain a ton of room on the sides compared to a traditional slide in unit.

Just drove this rig 1400 miles home from Vegas via Moab and Jackson Hole. The swampers are louder than a BFG, but truck drives great, I'm used to the Iroks, run them on most of my personal vehicles, they're better than you would think on the road for what they are. Wheeled a little bit in Moab, the rear is far too stiff unloaded and wheel travel was limited by that, it kept tending to pick up a rear, but that can all be dialed in depending on need. If there was a FWC on the back, it would have been fine I think. Might need some rear disconnects :) Manual trans combined with Cummins, Air Lockers and 41s aired down to 25psi made climbing about anything ridiculously easy. Snow in Jackson wasn't too deep, but driving along in 12-14" was unnoticeable.
Truck only got 15mpg on the way home (75mph) but we started with 95 miles on the engine, they don't tend to get good mileage till about 20K. The red 3500 w 37s (auto) we had with us got 18.6 on a drive from Durango to Moab one night, so I expect this one to settle in around 17-18mpg with the swampers.

This bed is 8.5' long I believe. Going to be perfect for two sleds.

I think thats all.

dh

Love the 2013 truck you guys built. I had a camper shell concept I drew up that I think would be amazing paired with that truck. I want to get back in the game and haven't had a vehicle in years (my 4runner is gone). Do you guys plan on building a kit or complete trucks from the 2013 Sema Truck?

Actually this whole project started with me wanting to build a camper on a Jeep Brute after freezing my *** off with Scott Brady...then I decided it was going to weigh too much and I just do it on a Ram...then tow a wrangler. Then I realized the parts that existed for the ram really weren't what I wanted...so now I'm up to my eyeballs in engineering and tooling for Ram parts and guess what? No camper:)

I finally just went and bought a 4WC so I would have something to use, and its been great. Just sold it and am having a flatbed version built. The SEMA truck we built this year is actually a copy of my personal truck, except my personal is an 06 and I added all the PW stuff to it and it runs 42s. I still want to build my camper, just too busy.

dh

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
I'll have to show you a drawing of my camper idea, it basically comes slightly over top of the cabin, but flows into the lines of the truck.. think Earthroamer Jeep JK but better lines and continuity. I just have to get the rendering done, I need a side shot and front shot of a 2500 ram. Can't find any that I can use.

ssapach

Adventurer
I absolutely love the look of this regular cab! You don't see many RC trucks around anymore, a few more with the cab and chassis stuff though.

It is disappointing about the manual t-case. I recently ordered a truck and had to settle for the electric t-case because I wanted the better stereo and all the other creature comforts.

Great work on that truck AEV!

Ravenmad

Observer
Actually this whole project started with me wanting to build a camper on a Jeep Brute after freezing my *** off with Scott Brady...then I decided it was going to weigh too much and I just do it on a Ram...then tow a wrangler. Then I realized the parts that existed for the ram really weren't what I wanted...so now I'm up to my eyeballs in engineering and tooling for Ram parts and guess what? No camper:)

I finally just went and bought a 4WC so I would have something to use, and its been great. Just sold it and am having a flatbed version built. The SEMA truck we built this year is actually a copy of my personal truck, except my personal is an 06 and I added all the PW stuff to it and it runs 42s. I still want to build my camper, just too busy.

dh
Well, how much longer do I have to wait to get my grubby hands on some of these parts???

Parts should start shipping around the 1st of 2015. It'll be a gradual rollout since there are so many options with the trucks and different years etc.

dh

Ravenmad

Observer
Parts should start shipping around the 1st of 2015. It'll be a gradual rollout since there are so many options with the trucks and different years etc.

dh

Question then? would we by chance be looking at front bumpers and flares first? with the snorkle later in the year? Can we place orders now with the local AEV dealer? I already have a Carli 3 inc lift new in the box per say and I am trying to make up my mind on tires and wheels. Also, and sorry for all the questions, but what gear ratio are you running to support 41 inc. tires? I have a 2012, 2500 4 door short box with a 6.7 and Auto tranny... Thanks again...

Question then? would we by chance be looking at front bumpers and flares first? with the snorkle later in the year? Can we place orders now with the local AEV dealer? I already have a Carli 3 inc lift new in the box per say and I am trying to make up my mind on tires and wheels. Also, and sorry for all the questions, but what gear ratio are you running to support 41 inc. tires? I have a 2012, 2500 4 door short box with a 6.7 and Auto tranny... Thanks again...

At this point the roll out will be something like this: Bumper for 13.5 2500/3500, Wheels and Raised Intake for 13.5 Diesel and 13.5 Diesel 3500 suspension first around the new year. Then the 13.5 diesel 2500 suspension, Raised intake for gas engines, and gas 2500 suspension to follow shortly after. We all know there are very few differences between the bumpers on the 10-13.5 trucks but we need to do test fits on all of them before we will "officially" release it just to be sure no small parts are needed due to the different intercooler or fog light wiring or whatever it may be. I would expect us to release the bumper for the older trucks relatively quickly.

We're running 4.10s with the 41s with the manual, with the auto, 4.56 would be the way to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz