New member.

blackohio

Observer
Im not one to leave cars alone. So first thing is search out forums and read. Then try and sift through the myriad of information and retain it long enough to not ask stupid questions.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Good job snapping this one up. I wanted it too, but I already have sunk too much time into the one I have :) You might want to update your Forum preferences to indicate your location. The good news is that within 50 miles of you there are a number of Monty owners and enthusiasts.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I only drive the passat at night or weekends, when gf isnt steadily racking the miles up. I put around anyway, im not much of a throttle jockey, so a slow truck isnt a big deal. It will be used come summer for some mountain treks/camping trips so i'll check out all my tire options before buying.

Lucky you. Unfortunately I have speed racer genes so I'm always fighting the urge. My other car is an Audi 01 S4 and it's a daily fight to not drive too fast with that one.

blackohio

Observer
Lucky you. Unfortunately I have speed racer genes so I'm always fighting the urge. My other car is an Audi 01 S4 and it's a daily fight to not drive too fast with that one.

get your car low enough and going fast isn't a feasible option. :)
1617972_10153783251435048_369665749_o.jpg

Oh also, the truck has either a sporadic or inop fuel gauge in the cluster. Guy said its comes/goes. Do you guys think it's cluster related? I saw the thread about repairing the solder connection on the back. Could sending unit be the culprit as well? Trying to plan course of action to fix.

So far my known list of items to fix replace are

1. New tires.
2. Fuel gauge
3. Cyl 1 spark plug wire boot is torn.

4. swap crank bolt if not already updated. Timing, tensioners, water pump and crank seal were done.

Last edited:

blackohio

Observer
Picked it up today. Got a few small things to sort. New tires. It shakes at highway speed and there some play in passenger front tire. My guess would be pit,an or idler arm. So I'll order those up this weekend.

There a hum from the back at highway speed. Almost sounded like a speaker hum so a long low bass speaker Hum. Only heard it at like 60-75mph. Any pointers? No additional sound on decal like a diff issue.

Last edited:

blackohio

Observer
About to order tires from he guys whose mtb tires I sometimes run. Kenda. Thinking of buying the klever mt. It's available in 32x11.5r15 and 31x10.5r15. Was going to order summit racing's 8 hole 15x8 108 center bore -19 offset 3.75 backspace

Which setup you guys think I should run? I prefer the look of taller and skinnier like a Baka truck and don't really foresee doing any real trail time. Just getting to camp spots and mtb trail heads.

I wasxalso thinking of going to fabric seats as the drivers has some wear. Not wanting to do covers anyone know of anyone that makes factory skins. Being that I live in SoCal I'd much prefer cloth over leather and don't like the look of covers much prefer an oe route, even if I have to have an upholstery shop do it.

Might want to try pick your part junkyard in sun valley. They frequently have monteros in there and the LS models have cloth. The cloth usually are in good condition.

jlocster

Explorer
I'm not one who cares much for seat covers either, but these from Cabela's are a good value and look decent, too.

CABELAS IK-521945 Seatcover, TrailGear Front Bucket

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I'm not one who cares much for seat covers either, but these from Cabela's are a good value and look decent, too.

CABELAS IK-521945 Seatcover, TrailGear Front Bucket

These? http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...vers/1217826.uts?WT.tsrc=CRR&WT.mc_id=crrdtfd

Pretty sure that's the same as the ones I have. They do really well in the SoCal desert. I don't get too hot in them. I have photos on my site of them here:
http://nwoods.smugmug.com/Montero/mods/Seat-Covers/i

IMG_1242-X3.jpg

blackohio

Observer
This truck wheel game is confusing. never dealt with offset and backspacing. So excuse me if this is beat to death

16x8 w/ 285/75/16, 6 x 5.50 in. Bolt Pattern, 4.00 in. Backspace -12offset
or
15x8 31.10.5r15, 6 x 5.50 in. Bolt Pattern, 3.75 in backspace, -19offset

Any suggestions? The sizes above are very similar overall.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nicely done! Yours I assume? California car too. Do I spy coastal farmland?
I'm at work and don't have any pics of mine to post up right now. It's not modded much. Stock ride height with a full set of late model Audi A4 rims (1" larger than stock) and tinted glass.

As for lowering it, not gonna happen right now. Too many other expensive hobbies currently LOL.

For your wheel question, are you buying new wheels and tires? If so, most shops will allow you to test fit them. I know America's Tire does. I love when they don't believe a 33 will fit w/out any modifications to a gen II.

As for buying a 15 or 16" rim? These days I'd hazard to guess that there are now an equal or greater number of 16" tires available so that would be my suggestion & I used to buy only 15" tires for the same reason but times change.

limp_noodle

Adventurer
This truck wheel game is confusing. never dealt with offset and backspacing. So excuse me if this is beat to death

16x8 w/ 285/75/16, 6 x 5.50 in. Bolt Pattern, 4.00 in. Backspace -12offset
or
15x8 31.10.5r15, 6 x 5.50 in. Bolt Pattern, 3.75 in backspace, -19offset

Any suggestions? The sizes above are very similar overall.

Hey there's a lot of confusion in the tuner world when it comes to offsey too you know. I still can't figure out what width and offset to put on my little project car. :D

As for the 15" or 16", generally the 16's are cheaper for a p metric tire over an LT tire. The 285/75/16 is a 33" tire. If you want a 31" tire for a 16" wheel get 265/60/16. 32" is 265/65/16.

I'm in the same boat a you. I'm looking to get 16" wheels and tires

blackohio

Observer
Nicely done! Yours I assume? California car too. Do I spy coastal farmland?
I'm at work and don't have any pics of mine to post up right now. It's not modded much. Stock ride height with a full set of late model Audi A4 rims (1" larger than stock) and tinted glass.

As for lowering it, not gonna happen right now. Too many other expensive hobbies currently LOL.

For your wheel question, are you buying new wheels and tires? If so, most shops will allow you to test fit them. I know America's Tire does. I love when they don't believe a 33 will fit w/out any modifications to a gen II.

As for buying a 15 or 16" rim? These days I'd hazard to guess that there are now an equal or greater number of 16" tires available so that would be my suggestion & I used to buy only 15" tires for the same reason but times change.

Thanks. It was mine sold it a couple months ago and bought a Passat tdi for my girlfriend. I'm probably going to pickup a q5 come spring. But for now I'm driving my girlfriends jetta and the montero.

As for wheels/tires. Not getting from a shop. Tires are coming direct from manufacturer and steelies likely from summit. So test fitting isn't a real option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke