New member.

blackohio

Observer
Picking this up next weekend. 172K runs good, t-belt, h20 pump and tensioners all done. Gotta throw new tires and a spark plug wire in it. Sold my dirtbike and air ride I had for my VW Passat to buy this and have some fun ontop.

I'd like to start by maybe doing a slight body lift, and some audio in it. I'll hold some loot for any maintenance that might pop up prior to mods. I doubt i'll do much wheeling or trailing anytime soome. It's going to mostly serve as a dog hauler and mountain bike/people mover. I've always wanted one so moving in this direction finally came up and I jumped.

I've read a bit and 33x10.5x15 seems the best option. I have no experience with trucks, although i've owned 3 troopers in the last few years none saw really any driving as I had a Audi A6 on air ride at that time and that was an absolute pleasure to drive. I traded the audi in on a new passat tdi and then accepted a new job that required a move and my gf's job ended up being a 180/mile a day trip. So she got the passat and I took back the '13 jetta I gave her. Which is a base model heap of ****. I absolutely hate driving it, so much so i'd rather daily something that get's 1/2 the gas mileage.

00C0C_k7R4lSgmIQo_600x450.jpg

00P0P_6jIF9peBMhr_600x450.jpg

00202_4QhqSjRLyAt_600x450.jpg

So besides the new tires. What are my best audio options in terms of speaker sizing? What can I get away with? I have no interest in running an amp or even the trunk mounted changer.

If I do the 33x10.5 I can get away with just the torsion tweak and removal of the side skirts?

Any other things you guys thing I should look at if everything else checks out.

Awesome! Where are you located and how much did you end up paying if you don't mind sharing. I saw this one on Craigslist and thought someone here could pick it up!

The stock white reminds me when I bought mine!

6.5" front door speakers. Rear are 6x9. The infinity system runs off an amp under the rear seat. You can buy a converter that uses RCA preouts from an aftermarket head unit to feed the factory amp. That's what alot of us have done.

If you aren't busy this tues a few of us are hitting cleghorn trail off the 15.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If you did some reading you would find that you have to do absolutely nothing to run 33x10.50 tires. And why do you feel you need a body lift?

blackohio

Observer
If you did some reading you would find that you have to do absolutely nothing to run 33x10.50 tires. And why do you feel you need a body lift?

I like the look a bit more from what i've seen of trucks running 33's with the slight lift. It would be for aesthetic purposes nothing else.

-Billy goats,
I live in Long Beach. We have all our reps and board members in this week for our annual national sales meetings so this week in jacked for me (thus the need to get the truck next weekend) After looking at the truck it had a cylinder 1 misfire after the rain, peeked at the cyl one plug wire and it was torn. dried out mis gone and the tires were pretty well hosed so I offered $2100 OTD. Dude accepted. I now work in the bike industry but have spend most of my creative career (17 years now) in the aftermarket auto industry so it'll be tire to call in some favors finally.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I was gonna say if you're used to the power and responsiveness of the Passat, they you may want to stick to 31" tires. Maybe even upgrade them to an aggressive looking tire like the inexpensive falken tires rather than going to 33's... But if you prefer looks over highway performance then going for the 33's makes sense.

Either way it's a great looking rig. Welcome!

jlocster

Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Glad you picked it up, I've been watching that ride on craigslist for the past few weeks wondering why it wasn't selling. I have a straight rear bumper in my garage with your name on it...I'll never need it again. Hit me up if you're interested, I'm in Santa Monica.

Last edited:

blackohio

Observer
I was gonna say if you're used to the power and responsiveness of the Passat, they you may want to stick to 31" tires. Maybe even upgrade them to an aggressive looking tire like the inexpensive falken tires rather than going to 33's... But if you prefer looks over highway performance then going for the 33's makes sense.

Either way it's a great looking rig. Welcome!

I only drive the passat at night or weekends, when gf isnt steadily racking the miles up. I put around anyway, im not much of a throttle jockey, so a slow truck isnt a big deal. It will be used come summer for some mountain treks/camping trips so i'll check out all my tire options before buying.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you picked it up, I've been watching that ride on craigslist for the past few weeks wondering why it wasn't selling. I have a straight rear bumper in my garage with your name on it...I'll never need it again. Hit me up if you're interested, I'm in Santa Monica.

yes, yes I am. i'll IM you in a bit. Want to make sure nothing falls through.

jlocster

Explorer
Any other things you guys thing I should look at if everything else checks out.

Make sure you have the updated crank bolt...it's the only real point of mechanical failure on these 3.5L engines.

From the dealer:
MITSUBISHI 1100A141 Crankshaft Bolt, 3rd Version (earlier versions are obsolete, prone to failure and should be avoided)
MITSUBISHI MR 994412 Crankshaft Bolt Washer

blackohio

Observer
Make sure you have the updated crank bolt...it's the only real point of mechanical failure on these 3.5L engines.

From the dealer:
MITSUBISHI 1100A141 Crankshaft Bolt, 3rd Version (earlier versions are obsolete, prone to failure and should be avoided)
MITSUBISHI MR 994412 Crankshaft Bolt Washer

i'll check into that, on this motor do i need to re-do timing belt set-up to change this if its older style or can it be done without going into all of that? Wondering if driveway or mechanic job.

TheMole

Adventurer
Congrats on the pickup! As someone mentioned above I was wondering why this car was still on the market for so long since it looked pretty clean. I got mine about a month ago and went through the same things you are (besides the lift). Most likely the front door 6.5 speakers are toast and aftermarket speakers won't fully work with the integrated Infinity system (different ohms). I ended up replacing the factory Infinity head unit with a pioneer and rca adapter harness. The front door speakers/tweeters were replaced with entry-level kenwood components (has to be wired directly to the head unit). The rest of the speakers are run off the factory Infinity amp. Theres some good info at the following links:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/58398-Blown-speakers
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/96419-Joinin-the-Montero-Club-with-a-Gen-2-5/page10

blackohio

Observer
thanks for the links. likely i'd just remove it all. Im not afraid of removing all the factory stuff and replacing.

jlocster

Explorer
i'll check into that, on this motor do i need to re-do timing belt set-up to change this if its older style or can it be done without going into all of that? Wondering if driveway or mechanic job.

You'd have to remove the fan/fan shroud, front skid plate and possibly some hoses/belts, but you could replace just the bolt...who knows, it may have been replaced already. Either way, it's a driveway job.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
I have to hate you, just because I so wanted that rig. But congrats on getting it, and I'm glad the new owner is on here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94