Tire setup for winter adventure LR3

jckstein

Observer
Sorry, i guess I didn't write that correctly. I meant normal snow covered pavement conditions, i.e not necessarily off road deep pow, but just highway driving in moderate snowfall.

Someone needs to invent a tire compound that adapts to the conditions. Any bio engineers here?

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Not sure Winter tires (Blizzaks, etc) would be a good match for the heavy LR3/4. Winter tires use soft compounds to stay flexible at low temp. I've had Blizzaks and could feel the car understeer on corners. Can't image 6500 lbs on a winter tire. Forget emergency handling on dry pavement.

Since I needed load range E I run General Grabber AT2's through Colorado mountains, front range, eastern plains and Kansas. Excellent traction in winter and offroad capable with puncture resistance in summer. My second choice would be Cooper Discover AT3's.

A.J.M

Explorer
I've ran Duratrac's on my LR3 for 27,000 miles.
I've done a few months of driving in Scottish winters where you can get everything in one day.

I've found the tyre to be really good for normal road driving in snow, it's not slid out under power or braking, it's never struggled for traction, either climbing hills alone, or towing cars up hills.

The only thing i would say is, that you have to be aware of the weight of the LR3, i brake early coming up to junctions just in case there is any ice or such. It's a heavy car and if it slides. It WILL go wherever the hell it wants. I had that a few times when i was on the worn road tyres but i've not felt it on the Duras.

I would agree that it's not as good as a true dedicated winter but it's been a good compromise for my needs for a tyre that can cope with wet/dry roads, and cope with temperatures that range from -17 to high 20s.
I'm about to order a new set for this winter as they are expecting it to be a bad one here. That and i'm down to nearly 4-5mm on the tyres so they are just about done for off road use.

Red90

Adventurer
Ive been spending the better part of today reading reviews and tons of threads, and if I decide to forgo the dedicated snow tire route, I think i'm definitely leaning towards the Duratracs. For those of you that have used them in the snow, how well did they do on normal winter pavement conditions at driving speed.

I run Duratracs on the 90 year round. Snow traction is quite good. Ice traction is okay. Around the top end of an all season.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have e rated winter tires, not flimsy car tires for winter. There are many dedicated winter tires for trucks. And worth every penny.

jckstein

Observer
Since I needed load range E I run General Grabber AT2's through Colorado mountains, front range, eastern plains and Kansas. Excellent traction in winter and offroad capable with puncture resistance in summer. My second choice would be Cooper Discover AT3's.
Tirerack doesnt have a size that works for my rims, or that would bit the LR3 without a lift, so I think this option is out the window. Thanks for the input though.

The only thing i would say is, that you have to be aware of the weight of the LR3, i brake early coming up to junctions just in case there is any ice or such. It's a heavy car and if it slides. It WILL go wherever the hell it wants. I had that a few times when i was on the worn road tyres but i've not felt it on the Duras.
Yes that makes total sense. I'm a firm believer that driving technique (common sense) and tire compound are equally important, and especially in snowy conditions each is somewhat useless on its own.

I run Duratracs on the 90 year round. Snow traction is quite good. Ice traction is okay. Around the top end of an all season.
Cool, thanks for the help!

Ive found the Duratrac on tirerack in 265/65R18 which is said to be 31.5" total dia. This should rub a slight amount on a stock LR3 yes? Is that going to be an issue, or not so much?

Eniam17

Adventurer
Tirerack doesnt have a size that works for my rims, or that would bit the LR3 without a lift, so I think this option is out the window. Thanks for the input though.

Yes that makes total sense. I'm a firm believer that driving technique (common sense) and tire compound are equally important, and especially in snowy conditions each is somewhat useless on its own.

Cool, thanks for the help!

Ive found the Duratrac on tirerack in 265/65R18 which is said to be 31.5" total dia. This should rub a slight amount on a stock LR3 yes? Is that going to be an issue, or not so much?

If you have rear ac there is a line to watch in rear wheel well at full articulation with 31.5" or more but it seems there are reports of some people rubbing and some not rubbing. The at2 is available in a 30" tire if you want to stay closer to stock size, I had them prior to my toyo A/t2's.

jckstein

Observer
If you have rear ac there is a line to watch in rear wheel well at full articulation with 31.5" or more but it seems there are reports of some people rubbing and some not rubbing. The at2 is available in a 30" tire if you want to stay closer to stock size, I had them prior to my toyo A/t2's.

Yeahh well theres also a Duratrac in 265/60R18 which is like 30.5". If i can squeeze the 31.5" id like to do that, so that if I lift at some point, I get the extra benefit of the size.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I've had good results last winter with the E load rang Michelin LTX M/S 2 which is winter specific compound and much more siping than the AT style like BFG or Duratrac, both of which I've also used.

If you do not get a real winter tire, definitely have the AT tire you choose extra siped byu the tire shop. Do not use a shop which doesn't know what you're talking about either, especially in Maine or Colorado, there's no excuse. The additional cross cut sipes by the machine can really improve these AT treads for winter mainly in the stopping and acceleration control.

You should also look into the Nokian options though, at least just for sake of learning what's out there to choose from. They make some sweet tires that work better in changing weather. For example, the WRG2 was absolutely incredible on the Audi in deep snow with great control. There's an "suv" version of several of their tires and while not an "LT" level rating on some of them, they are at or above the factory spec for load range. Assuming your lr3 is essentially in stock form, i.e. not terribly heavier than it would be with 7 people seated, then you're fine to use the 109-114 load tires.

I've run the WRG2 on the Audi and last winter started a new set of the best non-studded the Hakkapeliitta R2 on the BMW xi wagon. Both cars are awd, 6 spd, heavy, and with lots of torque so the grip is noticeable and appreciated. These were ************ last winter on the BMW: http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-suv/ The Hakka- R2 SUV 18" is available in 3 XL sizes you can fit are perfect. Go stock size if you want to run chains, bigger if you won't and just want the most clearance possible and the load rating increases a little too. The fuel economy on the Nokians will also be significantly better than the BFG or the Duratrac, significantly, at least 10%, maybe more depending on the size. My lr3 gets 20 mpg easily while averaging 65-70 mph on rolling interstate. 21 if never over 70 mph. But I'm also running ethanol free fuel all the time which accounts for 10% or so.

There's also, I just remembered, the awesome Nokian Rotiva. For your geography and vehicle I think it is prefect really. http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at-2/ It's going to be much, much better in snow and ice than the Duratrac but it won't wear down terribly if you ran it through summer too. There's even a size you could use with no worries at all 265/60x18 114T XL. Something like these should also track better in the crappy, slushy - edge of the road - stuff.

It's really nice to have a dedicated winter set so consider it too. The up front cost may seem like it doesn't make sense, especially with a 2nd set of wheels inside the tires ;) but the math actually works out in the long run just fine. You won't be able to use a snow chain on an oversized tire like the 31" or 31.5" and sometimes, the chain is exactly the best thing. Therefor, the way to "have it all" is big tires for summer and stock size-ish for winter which will also allow a chain to fit.

This plan could also buy you the time to wait for the presumably awesome new BFG KO2 in a size you can fit. It is my understanding that the 275/65x18 is to be available in a few weeks. Not sure when the 265/65x18 will be but most sizes are supposed to be ready by spring.

jckstein

Observer
Thanks for all that great information. Lots to take in, haha.

I'll have to think about it a bit more/talk to my tire guy. I still have some time to think about it before I have to take the car to Colorado.

Tires are stressful :smilies27

iowalr4

Adventurer
I had pretty good luck with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor last winter on my LR4. Comparing it to my wifes lexus suv with Blizzaks... hers has better tire grip, but weighs so much less. The LR4 with the diff locks seems to get around just fine. Stopping and turning is just a little more difficult on ice because of the weight.

They have the snowflake logo also. Mine are 265/65R18's

IMG_20131125_083955_zps6314ed7d.jpg

jckstein

Observer
Okay, so I am about to make the final decision on this tire debate. I would really like to go with the Duratracs thanks to much of the positive input form you all. Right now I am worried about choosing the right size that fits all the load requirements and such for the LR3.

The 265/65R18 is rated at 114S SL. Is this safe to use? Will the amount of rubbing from a 31.5 in tire with no lift be an issue.

If anyone can clear this up, it would be awesome.
Thanks,
Justin

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Can't speak on behalf of the LR3/4, but I just purchased another set of Duratracs for my D2. Love the tire, got them studded this time around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online