Tire setup for winter adventure LR3

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
You're implying no shop can order Nokian tires on Newfoundland....?

Your signature says something about "inappropriate clothing". Sounds relevant to this discussion.

I grew up in MN on about the same St Johns latitude. So where do you spend most of your time?

Maybe this is a source for you: http://winter-tires.pmctire.com/enw/tires-newfoundland-labrador

Seems you have many sources for ordering but by shipment.

MN may be the same latitude as Newfoundland, however, being surrounded by the North Atlantic does a lot to our weather that you would never see in MN. I can guarantee you that. Should visit during a north easter here. I spend my time on the rock. The weather is testing at times here at the best of times. As for ordering nokian, The stores in my area will only order on a "set" basis and not a full shipment for one set.

Jwestpro

Explorer
MN may be the same latitude as Newfoundland, however, being surrounded by the North Atlantic does a lot to our weather that you would never see in MN. I can guarantee you that. Should visit during a north easter here. .

Well, specifically my time in MN was mostly along the north shore of Lake Superior and into the woods north of there where -40 is common mid winter. The lake edge brings in wet snow but further out it's drier. I would expect NF to be similar. Send us photos!

What are the top 3 or so most used winter tires in your area? Are studs legal? Sounds like you definitely have to plan ahead more there than on the mainlands.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Studs are legal. Hard to tell what the top three are as there are so many tires. My three I use are Cooper discoverer M+S studded, Trail Cutter M+S Studded (basically a Cooper DS M+S) and toyo garrits on my car. They use lots of salt on our roads that turns snow into thick slush sometimes 1ft thick, then below that is packed snow that's slippery'er than ice. horrible driving. Once the snow starts here, I will send photos. 5 times in the span of 20 days we had DUMPS of snow ranging in 40-70 cms each. Was horrible. But I got around fine in my rigs.

etl330

Resurrecting and old thread. What size duratracs can i run on a stock lr3? Not interested in doing rods or wheel spacers right now

morrisdl

Adventurer
I have run three sets of 275/65r18 Duratracs at stock height LR3 without spacers. I had to ziptie the left front height sensor wire to the top of the frame. I have 3rd row heat/ac so it took 30min of light work. Right rear wheel well heaterhose had to be tucked in the body gap, the body seam hammered flat, and the wheel liner heated and molded little flatter. That size also fits in the spare location with help of dish soap and easier when 50% worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne