Tire setup for winter adventure LR3

jckstein

Observer
Hello everyone,

I recently picked up an '07 LR3 V8 SE, and have been working out how to best build it up for my needs. The intended purpose of the truck is to be as good as possible in snowy/icy/wintery conditions, but also have the capability to get off the pavement and do some adventuring. I am a student in Colorado, do a good deal of backcountry skiing, and this is to be my go-everywhere/handle-everything mountain truck. Im not sure how familiar you all are with Denver weather, but for the most part even through the winter, the temperatures are moderately warm, and the roads are usually clear. Going up into the mountains is a different story, and some of the passes and i-70 in general can get pretty sketchy. Those are the conditions I would base this setup around.

I currently have the SE 18" wheels, but i'm in need of new tires. Ive run Blizzaks as the go to winter tire on my previous car, and have had great results. I am aware of the differences in comparing a sedan snow tire with something suited for this size of a truck, so I figured I would weigh my other options.

I would like to get the look of a chunkier tire, because I think it evens out the proportions of the LR3 nicely, but I know that there aren't many snow performing tires that have the nice appearance of an A/T tire. Unfortunately, the BFG TA KO2 isn't yet out in a size that would work. This has left me choosing primarily between the Blizzaks or a set of Hakkas, but I am undecided on the best size to go for that would allow a nice appearance, while still fitting my wheel. Tire fitment has never been my speciality, so if anyone could help point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!

Additionally, ive toyed around with the potential of doing a rod mod, so thats potentially something to factor into tire sizing. I'm just unsure of what sort of experiences people have to daily driving a lifted LR3.

Sorry for dragging this out, and thanks for any help in advance.

Justin

Last edited:

Mx468

Observer
hankooks Dynapro's

Hi I live in the Northeast where we get pretty harsh winters, I got Hankooks Dynapro AT RF 10's in 265/60/18 last year and they worked awesome. Also would recommend getting a set of snow chains for your front tires if the going gets really rough.

Attachments

• IMG_5024.jpg
    IMG_5024.jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6413.JPG
    IMG_6413.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 39

da10A

Adventurer
I had general grabbers AT2 on my Rover, and it performed flawlessly up here in Canadian winters. On my Jeep Rubicon 10th anniversary, I run Good Year Duratracs that are perfect and winter rated ( triangle with snowflake logo). The Good Year Duratrac is the tire BFG is trying to compete against with their new tire K02, and since the look of the BFG K02 interests you, I would not hesitate 1 second and get the Duratrac. Best tire I have ever owned. Quiet, aggressive looking and winter performance in snow or on ice is amazing.

axels

Adventurer
I second the DuraTrac. Snow rated and severe weather rated. Great on and off road. I had the Hankooks mentioned above and they're ok on snow not so great on ice.

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
I'll 3rd the DuraTracs in the snow and ice. In winter wheeling I've been able to walk up icy trails where other LR3s with BFG ATs had a harder time. Since I'm running a 275/65-18 (E load) instead of the more common 265, the BFG wasn't available in the 'snowflake' rating where the GY was.

But I still wouldn't expect it to perform on icy pavement nearly as good as a dedicated winter tire like the Blizzak or similar. Of course, you can't run those all year long and they aren't going to be much good off-road.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I run dedicated winter tires, right now I have trail cutter Studded winter tires. Nothing performs like a real winter tire in winter. Then when the spring comes, I go back to my BFGs. You can't off road in the winter here, too much snow. So in November, I swap over to my winters and run them. I do wish they made a 285 in the winter tires however. My jeep looks horrid with the 265 donuts on it compared to my bigger tires. ha ha.

There is nothing that compares to dedicated snow tires in winter, their compound, tread design, and overall build is made for winter, unlike all the "snowflake" tires out there. They have extra tread grip, but way harder compounds and less siping than real winter tires so performance is compramised. I would not cheap out and run an all season tire in winter unless I lived in florida.

Eniam17

Adventurer
None of the A/T tires will perform as well on slick or icy pavement conditions as a dedicated set of snow tires due to the compound differences. But if you're bigger concern is driving through mountain passes through feet of snow, you will probably want to look into chains. At least from what I know about Colorado, you will be dealing with deep powdery snow in the mountains, correct?

As for the lift, what are you looking to accomplish? I have been running my lr3 with the IID tool, 2" of lift for everyday driving and I am very happy with the ride. It's stiffer and doesn't corner quite as well obviously but for me it's great. I recommend getting a IID tool anyway so unless you need absolute maximum lift you might don't need rods and the IID tool together.

LR Max

Local Oaf
I've heard great things about duratracs in the winter. Also a touch more aggressive tire than street will be great for most of the trails in Colorado that a stock-ish LR3 would be on.

jckstein

Observer
Thanks for all the awesome info so far guys.

I totally understand the compound difference and what not between a designated winter tire and anything else. Early on when I started driving at 15, my dad signed me up for a winter driving school, and we really got to see just how much better a snow tire is, so there was no question that that was what I would be putting on my first car (325xi - actually amazing in the snow). That was though, because I was home in Maine for high school still, having to deal with the infamous standard of a North East winter. Having been in Colorado for the past few years, I have never really had to deal with the level of sheer ice driving like I did back home, which is why i'm beginning to rethink the tire choice.

As I touched upon, Colorado winter is very interesting. It will snow a good amount down in Denver on campus, but will 80% of the time melt by the afternoon, or the next day. I actually spend very little time driving in the snow when i'm in the lowlands. When heading into the mountains during a snow storm, it's really like a powder day for the car. It's usually all fresh snow, and hasn't had the time to get compressed down into ice or anything before it just melts again. My buddy and I did have an experience in his SUV (some Mercury) where he slid sideways while parked on sheet ice under fresh snow, but i'v only ever seen that type of thing happen that one time.

Anyways, basically all this has made it make a little more sense to go for a snowrated A/T tire, and not have to worry about all the times that will be spent driving a winter tire in warm/sunny/and dry conditions in Denver.

Eniam, as far as the lift goes. I think that would be something down the road at this point, so i guess i'm looking to stay with 31.1" and smaller at the moment. I think I too will pick up an IID tool at some point, as it seems to go such a long way beyond just ride high altercation.

Thanks again for all the help thus far, keep up the good suggestions.

Justin

Red90

Adventurer
If I was getting a dedicated winter only set, I would probably get General Arctic Altimax if they are available in a suitable LT size, with studs, if allowed in your area. This is the best all around (currently available) winter tire that I've used. They are a rebadged Gislaved Nordfrost 5. I know you mention Blizzaks, but they are crap in comparison. I have their latest version on one car and they are not in the same league. I'm on ice and snow every day for half the year.

kojackJKU

same here red, I have toyo garrits on my car and are miles ahead of both blizzaks and also xice 3s as well. My trail cutters are pretty well cooper discovery M+S without the cooper name on the side. Hercules is owned by Cooper. The tires are awesome.

kojackJKU

Thanks for all the awesome info so far guys.

I totally understand the compound difference and what not between a designated winter tire and anything else. Early on when I started driving at 15, my dad signed me up for a winter driving school, and we really got to see just how much better a snow tire is, so there was no question that that was what I would be putting on my first car (325xi - actually amazing in the snow). That was though, because I was home in Maine for high school still, having to deal with the infamous standard of a North East winter. Having been in Colorado for the past few years, I have never really had to deal with the level of sheer ice driving like I did back home, which is why i'm beginning to rethink the tire choice.

As I touched upon, Colorado winter is very interesting. It will snow a good amount down in Denver on campus, but will 80% of the time melt by the afternoon, or the next day. I actually spend very little time driving in the snow when i'm in the lowlands. When heading into the mountains during a snow storm, it's really like a powder day for the car. It's usually all fresh snow, and hasn't had the time to get compressed down into ice or anything before it just melts again. My buddy and I did have an experience in his SUV (some Mercury) where he slid sideways while parked on sheet ice under fresh snow, but i'v only ever seen that type of thing happen that one time.

Anyways, basically all this has made it make a little more sense to go for a snowrated A/T tire, and not have to worry about all the times that will be spent driving a winter tire in warm/sunny/and dry conditions in Denver.

Eniam, as far as the lift goes. I think that would be something down the road at this point, so i guess i'm looking to stay with 31.1" and smaller at the moment. I think I too will pick up an IID tool at some point, as it seems to go such a long way beyond just ride high altercation.

Thanks again for all the help thus far, keep up the good suggestions.

Justin

That sliding condition you describe is a very normal condition up here. wet snow gets packed down and becomes slippery'er than ice. its crazy.

jckstein

Observer
Yeppp, it was pretty slick. The fresh pow later on top doesn't help either.

Ive been spending the better part of today reading reviews and tons of threads, and if I decide to forgo the dedicated snow tire route, I think i'm definitely leaning towards the Duratracs. For those of you that have used them in the snow, how well did they do on normal winter pavement conditions at driving speed. Reviews rave about their deep snow ability, and I have also heard positives about just normal driving, but anything you guys have experienced would be helpful info as well.

kojackJKU

any tire will do fine on just winter pavement. its when the conditions turn to crap is when you think to yourslef, why didn't I get real tires. ha ha. Just like the napa commerical with the bank robbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles