2001 F350 4x4 7.3L Powerstoke Diesel all-purpose build

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Well she doesnt know anything about this truck. not to mention she is die hard duramax lover, my father in law has one. So that being said I have converted my wife to a 7.3l enthusiast and she wont ever make me sell it, its here to stay
Ill just have to get a low mileage 7.3l crewcab when the whole kids thing happens! by that time the in-laws duramax should be blown up and ill be driving two 7.3's while they are on their second duramax haha.

LOLOL. I love my '01. It's a 2WD but gets awesome mileage on the freeway. The 7.3 is a bullet proof engine, way better than the 6-leaker that 'replaced' it.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
appreciate all the compliments! IMG_8395.jpg
IMG_2557.jpg
been looking at a camper for the truck it's a Lance squire light 150. 8'6" but has no toilet it's a 1995 but super clean. any idea on what it worth the price seems a little high.

Last edited:

Hoosier Daddy

Observer
Its an Innovation brand camper shell, but im pretty sure they have been out of business for a few years.
I got it off craigslist for free because the back glass was broken, so i made a jeep style back cover out of boat vinyl then i lined the backside with a heavy duty clear vinyl like the clear window vinyl on a jeep soft top.
it snaps on the camper and tailgate. since this photo i trimmed the cover with alumunim angle to divert rain water from the top down the sides
I appreciate the info. Free, man I'm a CL hound and couldn't find a deal that good haha. I did score a SnugTop Expo model for my F250 yesterday. I like how yours wraps down over the bed rails a bit, mine does the same and it's what I had been looking for.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
I like how it hangs over the bed rails because rain never gets in. I will research those companies. if they are toopricey I will re evaluate fabbing my own set

underdrive

jackwagon
been looking at a camper for the truck it's a Lance squire light 150. 8'6" but has no toilet it's a 1995 but super clean. any idea on what it worth the price seems a little high.
Bit late to the party, but here it is anyways - such a camper is basically worth whatever it's worth to you. It's a matter of supply and demand more than anything - most campers tend to be designed for max comfort in fairly easy-to-access locations and as such are not well suited for routes that takes advantage of flexy suspension and actual use of 4x4, newer offroad-friendly campers can cost as much as the truck that carries them, so many are looking at the older models but again them not being all that common tends to drive up prices of units in good condition. So basically you should look around on CL and maybe ebay and see how the price of that particular camper compares to other similar ones. Also, keep track of condition of appliances - the LP furnace is usually not too bad to bring back to life if it's DOA, but an absorption fridge like the one in that Lance will set you back at least several hundred to have repaired, more if it needs replacing.

And don't forget to factor in the cost of the means for attaching the camper to your truck - spring-loaded frame-mounted tie-downs are the best if you plan on leaving the paved roads but they are not cheap, stake-pocket brackets with chains are cheap but also a good way to damage your bed if you crank them down too tight and then go test the torsional stiffness of your frame.

DividingCreek

Explorer
After I added the ww2 and boost controller I build boost quicker and hold it, nice steady boost pressure. i was losing inlet pressure with the old canister design at around 10 psi. I have the turbomaster set at about 20 psi and it holds boost perfectly until the desired set point of 20psi.
works as advertised especially with the new boots and international harvester bellowed up pipes. its a little overpriced but it was worth the money, honestly it would be pretty easy to fab one up if you enjoy that sort of thing. I wish i had one as a template and I would have made my own!

billetbadges.com the wait for them was over three months!! he does great work but is incredibly slow, and you pay in full before he starts designing your order.

Well my truck had a blowby issue @ 375k and I pulled the left head to find a pencil sized hole in the #6 piston and cracks on the faces of the others. I bought the truck cheaply with a know engine issue so I gambled and lost. My guess is some knuckle head had used ether to get it started in uber cold weather. Moral of the story is do not use ether to start your psd's. I put a deposit on a low mileage engine from an 02 E450 ambulance yesterday and will be doing an E to F swap in the next week. Upside is van turbo's have no wastegate and a bigger turbine housing. Guess I need to start a thread.

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Bit late to the party, but here it is anyways - such a camper is basically worth whatever it's worth to you. It's a matter of supply and demand more than anything - most campers tend to be designed for max comfort in fairly easy-to-access locations and as such are not well suited for routes that takes advantage of flexy suspension and actual use of 4x4, newer offroad-friendly campers can cost as much as the truck that carries them, so many are looking at the older models but again them not being all that common tends to drive up prices of units in good condition. So basically you should look around on CL and maybe ebay and see how the price of that particular camper compares to other similar ones. Also, keep track of condition of appliances - the LP furnace is usually not too bad to bring back to life if it's DOA, but an absorption fridge like the one in that Lance will set you back at least several hundred to have repaired, more if it needs replacing.

And don't forget to factor in the cost of the means for attaching the camper to your truck - spring-loaded frame-mounted tie-downs are the best if you plan on leaving the paved roads but they are not cheap, stake-pocket brackets with chains are cheap but also a good way to damage your bed if you crank them down too tight and then go test the torsional stiffness of your frame.
well its 3,000 and everything works its in very good condition minus a couple dents on the outside. after looking around it might not be that bad of a price!

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Well my truck had a blowby issue @ 375k and I pulled the left head to find a pencil sized hole in the #6 piston and cracks on the faces of the others. I bought the truck cheaply with a know engine issue so I gambled and lost. My guess is some knuckle head had used ether to get it started in uber cold weather. Moral of the story is do not use ether to start your psd's. I put a deposit on a low mileage engine from an 02 E450 ambulance yesterday and will be doing an E to F swap in the next week. Upside is van turbo's have no wastegate and a bigger turbine housing. Guess I need to start a thread.
how many miles are on the van 7.3l your getting?

DividingCreek

Explorer
157k. I called it a van because its an E series but it was a box body/ambulance with drw. Unlike most of the used 7.3's available it's never towed anything or been run with a tuner etc. It was a county rescue squad rig and oil was changed every 5k. Another concern for me is given the ether damage I found in my engine I wanted something from the South and this truck was out of Southern North Carolina. The e rigs have no intercooler and are de-tuned to 210 hp so its had a very easy life. I asked and the primary difference is the PCM programming, ie plug it into an Fseries and it will make 250hp plus what the tuner adds. The transmission in the f250 had recently been rebuilt so I should be good for years after this transplant. The new engine has two alternators going to find a cool use for the 2nd one.

Last edited:

underdrive

jackwagon
well its 3,000 and everything works its in very good condition minus a couple dents on the outside. after looking around it might not be that bad of a price!
Not a bad price at all considering everything is in good shape. The thing we like about many older campers is they are aluminum skinned, from what we've seen so far it appears that holds up better to branches and brushes when taken down narrow forest roads and 2-tracks. Dents are normal for the "corrugated" aluminum siding, comes with the territory, lol

If you're serious about getting that thing show up with cash for the full amount the seller wants but only show them say 2500 at first and then work your way up as needed. If it's a private seller they may just bite at 2.5k, especially if you start throwing around the cost of Torklift tie-downs and such. Generally people who do outdoorsy stuff like to see their equipment go to other people who like outdoorsy stuff, if you give them the vibe that you will be enjoying their camper or whatever else as much as they were enjoying it there's a good chance they'll cut you a break on the price just to see it go to a good home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior