Looking at a 4wd van, need some advice

ert01

Adventurer
UPDATE:

The thread title is a bit misleading because I no longer am looking at buying a 4wd van... I've already purchased one! Haha

But I'll keep posting updates here to keep it all contained in one thread rather than starting a new one. I think it's kinda neat to go back and read what our goals and expectations were and see the progress from then until now.

Original Post:

My wife and I have been very happy with my trusty Jeep XJ and our RTT/trailer combo for the past 6 years. I've put a lot of time and effort in building up what I thought was the ideal setup for us. I know that jeep inside and out and would not hesitate to take it on an extended trip.

But it is no longer just my wife and myself... We have 2 daughters now (ages 2 and 1) and the RTT is getting to be a tight squeeze. So is fitting car seats and gear in the XJ.

We can still get out and enjoy our trips, but I'm finding that more and more time is spent packing/unpacking in a very particular order to get it all to fit and this slows us down each morning and evening. We rarely camp in the same spot for more than one night. Plus, my mileage is brutal now since I'm fully loaded with gear and people and towing a trailer... I'm on 35's right now. The jeep was built and geared for 32's but I got a deal I couldn't resist on the 35's but I'm paying for it now in gas. And I have no passing power. Can barely maintain 70mph on flat.

So I'm looking at vans now... I like the idea of leaving some bedding and cooking set up as this would allow us to do less packing/unpacking and more traveling. Something I can hopefully tow with if need be.

I like the idea of hard sides around us for winter camping... And an espar heater would be the icing on the cake!

I've been looking at westfalia's (small wheelbase, light, efficient... But tiny engine an no 4wd), syncros (EXPENSIVE and still a tiny engine), delica's (better engine, nice 4wd from factory, but no pop top limits space in the small van), and camper vans (cheap and easy to find, but big and heavy and no 4x4) or finally a 4x4 conversion van.

I finally found a nice looking 4x4 van but I'm curious what it's worth and also how much work I'd be looking at to get it up to par.

It's a 4x4 (I don't know who did the conversion) 2002 ford e350 super duty van with the 7.3L diesel and auto tranny. No lift (which I would want to add obviously). It is an empty cargo van right now. Only 100k miles on it.

What is this thing worth? And are there any options for adding a pop top or hard top to it? How much $ and time/effort to lift this guy for 33's or 35's? Is wheel well trimming necessary?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as this whole van thing is pretty new to me... But thanks for your time and advice in advance.

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
You'll want to find put what conversion it is, especially if you plan to modify it. Have any pics?

mikracer

Adventurer
Just as an FYI, adding a pop top at SMB West is $7500 plus tax. Thats for paint matched. A power top is around $9,100 plus tax. CCV's standard top is $6800 plus about $800 for paint matching. CCV has a much bigger bed and it goes up higher so you can sit up on the bed up top.

ert01

Adventurer
d3ad755023586180cafa335c74fb9dda.jpg

3962fc08ba8a38c1cbbdcfb578547db4.jpg

That's all they sent me.

Looks to have some lift on it? No idea what size. Or what company did the conversion.

I'll be speaking with the owner tomorrow to hopefully get some more info on it.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
That's all they sent me.

Looks to have some lift on it? No idea what size. Or what company did the conversion.

I'll be speaking with the owner tomorrow to hopefully get some more info on it.[/QUOTE]

All 4X4 Ford E- Series vans have some lift - they really have to. It looks to be a Quigley and would be a great van if the price is right - 7.3L and all.

If it is a Quigley is look like about 4 inches or lift.

java

Expedition Leader
Hard to tell from the pic, but that might be the converter's logo on the side.

ert01

Adventurer
Going to check it out this weekend. Will have more info then.

I talked to the owner today and got a few more answers.

He was the original owner. Bought it off the lot with the conversion already done. He couldn't say what company did it but I'm sure I can get that from the dealer later.

It has an aux heater installed in the rear.

Interior is empty except for a bench seat in the middle.

Interior has been spray foam insulated. No panels on top, just the foam right now.

Is the foam insulation something to be worried about?

There could be some out gassing of chemicals from the foam. It use to be that some spray foams use formaldehyde in them. Not sure if they still use he same chemical mix.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Not super crazy about the spray foam. It depends on what was used and where it was put. If it's in any area susceptible To moisture I'd be cautious because some of those foams will absorb moisture. Inside door panels are one area to watch for. They have drain holes in the bottom for a reason. Check the inside bottom of the doors where the door skins wrap around. If they have any amount of rust you'll be repairing those sooner or later. Once they start they dont stop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94