My 2004 Grandby project/ travel thread

eblau

Adventurer
I found a Grandby in my area and I am thinking about picking it up but the roof looks funny to me almost like really heavy snow has smashed all the material in around where the "slats" are. I am new to truck campers and clueless about the construction of the grandby's roof. To me it looks really soft... Is it supposed to look like this? Is it an aluminum skin over a wood frame? Is the roof damaged? School me!

null_zpsd30623f0.jpg

EDIT: changed the title

Last edited:

ExpoMike

It is aluminum skin over an aluminum frame. It does look like it had heavy snow on it, which caused it to compress over the frame rails. There is no sub structure under this, which is why it is lightweight. If it is not leaking, it's only cosmetic. FWC can reskin this and even likely do the new one piece roof panel. You could use this damage to help get a better price.

eblau

Adventurer
It is aluminum skin over an aluminum frame. It does look like it had heavy snow on it, which caused it to compress over the frame rails. There is no sub structure under this, which is why it is lightweight. If it is not leaking, it's only cosmetic. FWC can reskin this and even likely do the new one piece roof panel. You could use this damage to help get a better price.

Thanks Mike! Thats kind of what I was thinking, aluminum skin over a thin frame of some sort and whatever was on the roof has compressed the aluminum and sort of "exposed" the frame's outline. I don't want another project so I may steer clear of this one. Is there any wood at all used in the roofs construction?

craig333

Expedition Leader
It looks cosmetic to me. Check for leaks and if it doesn't have any and the price is reasonable I wouldn't let this stop me.

shanz3n5

Adventurer
Agree if no leaks, soft skin is tight, raises and lowers properly and when latched down it is square and secure. And the price is good i wouldn't let it stop me. THe alum frame should have a slight bow/arch from front to back. Drop a long level on each beam. Put some palm pressure on and along the beam, listen and feel for crackling or obvious breaks. That feel and sound will be different then the sound of the alum skin flex.
What year and price?
Is everything else good?
If the skin is just bowed down around the beams and is consistent it probably had a snow load on it for a extended period. The alum skin is soft. The weight on just the skin could have slightly elongated the screw holes. If all else was good i would loosen all the screws in the skin flats. Just enough to chalk under. Go inside and gently push up to reverse the downward skin bow. Put a small amount of self level roof chalk under screw head. Allow to cure almost all the way, retighten screws. Top each screw head w same chalk. This small project should only take a few hours. Again if year price and no other damage needed immediate attention. Just my humble opinion.

eblau

Adventurer
It's a 2004 for $7500. Maybe a little high but there isn't a huge pool of FWCs to choose from on the east coast.

shanz3n5

Adventurer
It's a 2004 for $7500. Maybe a little high but there isn't a huge pool of FWCs to choose from on the east coast.

i bought my 09 for 10k with very minor damage. had to drive from socal to council bluffs iowa for it. so that price and year may just be a good buy

eblau

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I'm excited to put it to use. Had to fix the right rear jack bracket, looks like someone tore it off at some point in the campers life. Simple fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles