Which gravel tire?

JPsLC

Observer
After an offroad ride this past weekend, something larger than a 32mm tire is in order for the gravel grinder. The new tires should be in the 41mm range and will go on my 2009 Specialized TriCross carrying a 210lb fat guy.

Some research indicates I like the Surly Knard and Clement MSO. Both seem to get good reviews, and I will purchase either tire in the 120tpi variety. Most of my paved riding is done on the stock Specialized 700x32 Boroughs, but I want something that better lends itself to exploring.
Traction is good, but I need a little more flotation. I know I could just ride my mountain bike, but I'm enjoying the cross bike too much.

Does anyone have experience with either tire or want to recommend something different? Tires are too expensive for me to purchase multiple sets, so I want to get it right the first time.

fortel

Adventurer
I'm running the Continental Travel Contacts in 700x38 on my 2010 Tricross Comp. I was looking for something more robust than the original 32c Boroughs that came on the bike. I went with the Travel Contacts based on friends who have ridden them for years at the Dirty Kanza 200 in Emporia, KS and other local gravel grinders here in mid-Missouri. In my opinion, here are the pros and cons:

Pros
Robust flat protection
Smooth center section for rolling on pavement
Good side lugs for cornering in loose stuff
Can stand up against Flint Hills gravel and mid-MO chert without cutting and chipping to much

Cons
On the heavy side (see robust flat protection above)

I would rather have the flat protection of the heavier tire since I'm long past any thinking I'm fast days.

Anyway, hope you find a tire that works for you. Happy riding.

sjxj

Observer
I have the MSO's mounted up on some beefy HED Belgium wheels. Great tire for me, and at 214 pounds myself, I think they'd work great for you. Excellent traction for the packed roads we have in Colorado, and they seem to clean out really well if it gets muddy. They will be my next set of tires when the time comes to replace them.

Good luck.

JPsLC

Observer
Thanks for the feedback guys. I need to go to the bike shop and see these tires in person. I'll let you know what I decide.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I think much depends on how much you ride, and how much tread you need. In some years I'll log 4-5,000 miles of gravel and just burn through tires left and right. I chew through MSO's pretty quickly. I've been using Kenda Small Block 8s in the winter in the 35c width and they've held up well. If I'm going to be logging big training miles, I just get the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tours and spend the next 3500 miles burning through them. Those things are impossible to destroy and do okay enough for performance.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
x2 on the Schwalbe Marathon + I could not kill a pair, for more organic mucky trails I had the Panaracer firecross 45.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The marathons are incredibly durable, and most people don't realize how little tread is needed for most rides on gravel. It's more about tire volume than anything.

JPsLC

Observer
The marathons are incredibly durable, and most people don't realize how little tread is needed for most rides on gravel. It's more about tire volume than anything.

^^^ Totally agree with this. The Boroughs are mostly smooth and provide enough traction, but I want more volume to tackle more aggressive terrain.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
I'm having a little trouble finding the Marathon Mondial in the 26x2.0 version, they are sold out on Schwable's website. I'm hoping to put them on the Christmas list for the Big Dummy.

p nut

butter
After an offroad ride this past weekend, something larger than a 32mm tire is in order for the gravel grinder. The new tires should be in the 41mm range and will go on my 2009 Specialized TriCross carrying a 210lb fat guy.

Some research indicates I like the Surly Knard and Clement MSO. Both seem to get good reviews, and I will purchase either tire in the 120tpi variety. Most of my paved riding is done on the stock Specialized 700x32 Boroughs, but I want something that better lends itself to exploring.
Traction is good, but I need a little more flotation. I know I could just ride my mountain bike, but I'm enjoying the cross bike too much.

Does anyone have experience with either tire or want to recommend something different? Tires are too expensive for me to purchase multiple sets, so I want to get it right the first time.

Bruce Gordon Rock n Road's are nice off-road. They are fairly soft, so they won't last as long as Schwalbe's. But they are much more supple and cushy than Schwalbe's as well. May also want to look at Soma Cazadero's.

I'm having a little trouble finding the Marathon Mondial in the 26x2.0 version, they are sold out on Schwable's website. I'm hoping to put them on the Christmas list for the Big Dummy.

Just got some Marathon Plus Tour 26x2 for my Big Dummy. Excellent tires and one of the few I feel confident in with the kids on the back. Feels like BFG KO's compared to the "P-rated" Town and Country's I had on before. Just slogged through some dirt, gravel and mud this morning--so much better than the last tires. But if you want Mondial's, you can get them from here for a good price: http://www.starbike.com/en/schwalbe-marathon-mondial/

Oh, I ordered my Schwalbe from Wiggle. Bought Sat and received on Tuesday. Pretty quick shipping from UK! http://www.wiggle.com/schwalbe-marathon-plus-tour-wired-mtb-road-tire/

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I have had good results with the ritchey excavader...old tire design but I am currently running them on my cross bike for training...

Nice center locking tread provides good rolling on pavement...

Works good front and rear in dry conditions...and hooks up pretty well in the soft stuff/mud...but when really sloppy, I will run something a bit more grippy in the front...

http://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-Excavader-Cross-Pro-tire/dp/B004KZX0X0

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Hey Butch, I might have some brand new Marathons to sell. Gotta go dig in the bike closet to find them. Stand by!

JPsLC

Observer
OP here.... Child rearing and home improvement has taken up most of my time that last few months, so no purchases were made. All the comments so far have been informative and helpful, so I'm going to ask about another tire.

I'm back on the hunt with a strong desire to ride as many gravel grinders as I can this year. Today's search turned up the WTB Nano 40c. They are soft at with 60 durometer, but I don't think it's a deal breaker since they would be used primary on gravel or in the dirt. Does anyone have experience with this tire or other WTB products?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles