Bobcat

bajafshrman

I'm new to the site. Just scored a nice little ATC Bobcat. It's going to land on my '06 Tundra but I have to give her a little love first. She's a little rough but the price was right and I'm stoked to own her. I'll post more photos as I get her rigged up.

bobcat.jpg

ripperj

Explorer
Looks pretty sweet to me, hope you put it to good use .
Don't drop it off the jacks, those things scare me:)

GroovyDad

Wanderer
Cool! My Bobcat shell is supposed to be delivered on 11-14-14 (just ten days from now), so I'll be doing my build at the same time you are.

Good luck with it.

bajafshrman

Hey, Groovy Dad - stoked you are getting a new one! I've been working on the truck getting it ready. I'll post some photos soon. I'll have the camper mounted in the next few days and after that I want to modify the interior. Would love to see what you have planned.

bajafshrman

I'm starting with the truck. '06 Tacoma that I've had for a few years.

t.jpg

I did some suspension work earlier this year and added new King coil over and upper control arms and an additional spring to the pack in the rear.

front.jpg

With the additional weight of the camper I decided to install some Air Ride bags to the rear leaf springs. Took me a couple of hours to get them installed - really like the way they work and ride.

bag.jpg

I'm anxious to get the camper on there to see how it looks and drives. Really a cool little unit and perfect for baja.

bobcat2.jpg

bajafshrman

Got to it yesterday and mounted the hardware for the tie-downs. I've never been a fan of bolting eyebolts into the bed, they always seem to pull up and dimple the truck bed - they don't make them like they used to! So, I bolted in some 2" angle iron across the front to distribute the pressure on the contact points. It will also keep the camper back off the front of the bed so hopefully it won't bow out. I used some big backing plates for the rear eyebolts and they ended up being very close to a cross support for the bed. Since we do a lot of off road and washboard I want the camper to stay nice and tight.

angle.jpg

angle2.jpg

Then I added some 2x with some foam pads glued on to help the front from bouncing around.

pad.jpg

Next step was to get this thing up onto the truck. The previous owner didn't add jacks to it and they wouldn't have been wide enough anyway. All I had available are this busted up old jacks. Talk about a nail biting experience! We got the camper up high enough in the front to back under a little. I put a 1.5" dowel under it and we lifted from the rear and slid it into place. Sounds easy enough, right... thankfully, it went well - that thing was sky high and sketchy!

up.jpg

up2.jpg

Here she is sitting proud. I am really stoked that I found a Bobcat, the smaller camper fits really well on my Tundra. It doesn't hang over the side rail very much and the over cab is closer to the roof. It's a smaller camper with fewer bells and whistles but it will suit our needs perfectly.

Can't wait to put her to good use.

proud.jpg

Next up is to modify the interior and add a new roof rack...

GroovyDad

Wanderer
That looks great on the Tundra. My Bobcat will hang over a lot on my Tacoma, but the extra interior space will hopefully be worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles