M101A1,2,3 Bed Weight Comparison

bap5340

I'm looking to build an M101 trailer. My desire is for the A3 with the wider spacing between the wheel wells, but am sensitive to overall weight. I have not seen a weight published for the different bed sizes (76" M101A1 vs 100" M101A2,3).

Does anyone have the figures on the weight of the two different beds?

Has anyone fabricated a new frame that helps save weight, yet still be rugged enough for light off-road use (perhaps box frame vs C-channel)? I am already planning on going with an axle such as a Dexter 3500# with electric brakes and parking brake.

There are a couple of leads here in the Phoenix area and auctions coming up in the Southwest.

Thoughts?

Very Respectfully,

Bruce

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

explorer
I have a m116a3 its the flatbed version. Have you checked steel soldiers? Think the bug difference between the A1, A2 versus the A3 is wider fenders. Its a pretty big box to begin with and if you are planning to swap soo much out might just want to start from scratch honestly.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I also have the M116A2.

If you're going to add a new axle...just make the axle a few inches 3"-4" longer, and cut the inside of the wheel wells to make it 49"-50" between the fenders. I think there's plenty of room to do that.

I cut mine and added some square stock welded to the inside, and just put aluminum liners on...worked perfect.

cyclic

Adventurer
I run a full size truck and I went with the M1102 trailer. Its MUCH bigger and fits nicely behind a full size vehicle. Once I swapped to regular truck tires the weight dropped considerably.

The Hummer tires were about 150 lbs each and the regular truck tire/rim considerably less. With a weight capacity of 4200 lbs gross. The trailer with Hummer tires grossed 1460, you get a good capacity with a fairly light trailer.

9qRd9h.jpg

Joshlt

I have an m101a1 the only difference are m101 no brakes at all, m101a1 parking brakes added. M101a2 loose the bud wheels and axle, add 8 bolt lug pattern axle and wheel as well as surge brakes. M101a3 widen the exterior fender skirt 3 inches on each side to accommodate the hummer axle width axle, switch to a high center tube axle to match the hummer stance. After the a2 the weight does vary by many 50 lbs. the difference from the a1 to the a2 is close to 300lbs +-. I switched to a 5000 lbs axle to match lug pattern to my burb, made it tow tremendously better. Also the hub face is 63 inches for the dexter axle. what is your tow vehicle?

U.S. Army 1988-1993
1973 Rockwood 1206
1999 3/4 ton Suburban
1953 Case m101a1 5000lb Dexter axle mod
Liberty is the right of all men. They just need to be smart enough to keep it.

bap5340

My tow vehicle is a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser. The M101 lines up nicely with width of that vehicle.
VR
Bruce

Joshlt

Cruiser should pull it fine. Try to get a lug pattern to match it when you buy the axle. I got mine installed for 200. Your truck probable uses a metric pattern for the lugs so finding a matching pattern might be a little tough.

U.S. Army 1988-1993
1973 Rockwood 1206
1999 3/4 ton Suburban
1953 M101a1 5000lb dexter mod axle

Joshlt

According to discounted wheel warehouse here is your lug pattern.

2004ToyotaLand Cruiser5 lug 150mm High Positive Offset

U.S. Army 1988-1993
1973 Rockwood 1206
1999 3/4 ton Suburban
1953 M101a1 5000lb dexter mod axle

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Tubs are only a few pounds difference. Axles are heavy and the A3 has the extra weighted raised center section with 1/2"
plate stiffeners. The tub can be handled easy by four people I would guess at 500 pounds. Replacing the axle and boat anchor
surge lunette assembly are what reduce weight. A new axle with adapters to match your bolt pattern on the tow vehicle would drop some weight.

The A3 has more room between the wheel tubs. but the A1, A2 can also be trimmed to fit between the tubs.
The c frame on these trailers is stout and not bad weight they make a great trailer to Expo.

bap5340

Mark,

Thanks for your comments. I sent you a PM and would love to chat when you have some time.

VR

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles