Year in Mexico: Previa vs. Astro?

grox

Observer
My self, my wife and our 3-year-old son are moving to Mexico next June to build a house on the property we own in Sayulita. We need a vehicle big enough to haul our tools and gear down, but also reliable and get decent gas mileage. Once we get settled, we'll be taking 3-5 hour drives around the area. Nothing off-road, but there will be occasional dirt roads down to the beach. There has to be parts available, which, unfortunately ruled out Subaru (we love our Outback). Our budget is $3000.

A few months ago I bought a first generation Pathfinder, which I loved, but quickly proved to be too small, and under powered (we might decide to pull a small trailer). Sold.

Now I own a 1996 Chevy Astro, AWD, 170k. Runs great and would certainly fit the bill, but it's just so boring and squishy to drive. Paid $1800 so money left over. Lift kit? More firm shocks?

Been curious about Toyota Previa. From what I've read, they require little maintenance and are basically bullet proof. I haven't driven one yet, but I've also read that they're pretty fun to drive and get decent MPG.

Would love some opinions and insight.

IMG_7624.jpg

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
Well, the Astro was sold in Mexico, so parts and maintenance are going to be much easier than for the Previa, which was not sold in Mexico. That sort of answers the question for me in an instant. But you might be less risk averse than me.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've always found the Previa down on power. When all the other mini-vans in the segment went V-6, the Previa went away because they couldn't mid-mount anything but the slant-4.

A lift kit for the Astro is cheap and simple. The powertrain is bullet-proof. More than all that, though - I'd stick with the Astro for size. It's more of a "mid-size" van. The Previa is good for the burbs with a low floor, but it has a low-roofline to match and generally less volume inside, which matters if you'll be spending a lot of time in there.

mapper

Explorer
You know the Astro. It isn't really exciting but gets the job done. Solid tires, newer shocks, overload springs and a little lift have made mine more fun to drive. I hammer on mine for weekend warrior trips on the freeway, through mt. passes and into the lonely, rocky desert roads regularly. At 220k it still begs for more. All it really needs is gas and oil change every so often.

Sounds like you are on a budget and starting new in Mexico. I'd take what you've got, you know, and know can take a beating. Also, you'll spend less time trying to find a somewhat rare used vehicle...that's time you could spend having fun!

mapper

Explorer
One more thing. I hear you on the squishiness thing. That said, I got an itch to buy a Montero earlier this year. I rides more firm than the Astro...I've learned that on trips I miss the nice, though somewhat floaty, ride of the Astro. I may not like it as much for daily driving, I use my VW for that, but for traveling I've learned the ride of the Astro is very livable.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I think the Astro is the way to go. Either that or sell it and get yourself an f150/f250 pickup that'll fit your people. Chevy 1500's are also pretty durable.

xcabo

I haven't seen a single one Toyota Previa in my area, even here where Imported cars are allowed, so, trying to look for a part will be a headache, IMHO an Astro, Chrysler Voyager, Ford Windstar would be a better choice thinking on repairing cost and manteinance...thinking in Mexico Market.

arlon

Adventurer
Another Astro vote. Cheap to add a few things to make it last longer and go further. Of course my opinion is NOT without bias.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Never heard of an Astro's ride being called squishy. Maybe when the rear is loaded heavy, but not normally. When I've loaded 8 guys, 11 BMX/Mountain bikes, gear and beer for a weekend it could be a bit squishy. Really wanted Timbrens then.

Add a small lift and a traction device in the differential (if it doesn't have one already) and they get less boring.

Taking Grumpy down a trail that the Jeeps behind me decide to take a pass on.
Bundy_Hill_Three_Wheel.jpg

grox

Observer
Well, I guess that settles it then :)

Its funny, when I was writing my original post, the answer sort of just came to me (Astro). I decided to post it for a second (and 4rd, 4th, 5th, etc) opinion. Glad I did. Not a doubt in my mind now that the mighty Astro is the way to go. Shocks, 2" lift, lights, and some (more) basic maintenance in the near future.

Thanks again!

el_topu

Adventurer
I live in Mexico, and I would vote for the Astro, it will be a lot cheaper for repairs and cheaper for parts and easier to find parts for the Astro... I don't remember seeing a Previa in town, but a lot of Astros

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

mapper

Explorer
Well, I guess that settles it then :)

Its funny, when I was writing my original post, the answer sort of just came to me (Astro). I decided to post it for a second (and 4rd, 4th, 5th, etc) opinion. Glad I did. Not a doubt in my mind now that the mighty Astro is the way to go. Shocks, 2" lift, lights, and some (more) basic maintenance in the near future.

Thanks again!

Just finished driving ~200 miles off pavement in under 2 days around the Great Salt Lake in my Stro. Remote country with a 220k rig, oil leaks and all, that I drive the snot out of, 50-70 mph on gravel roads. Set cruise at 75-80 on the Interstates, smooth as silk. Did the whole 400 mile trip on a single tank of gas. I never doubted it for a second. Cooking, eating and sleeping in sub freezing temps with my GF and 3 dogs...it's a do damn near everything type of rig. 2 weeks prior we did some nasty roads near Lake Powell in S. Utah. One buddy had a newer Ram Charger Crew Cab and he said some of the roads made his palms sweaty on the wheel. Other buddy had a Nissan Pathfinder and he started losing traction on a climb. Astro was loaded and got bounced a lot but was totally solid there too.

Astros are fun!

dar395

Adventurer
You could log on to Rockauto.com find parts at close-out maybe even upgrade brakes, shocks, steering as well as maybe even the cooling system as well stocking a set of hoses and such with a stock of air and oil filters on the cheap or find a full size van so the family has a little more room while building. Lots of options. Hope ya keep posting as we will be coming along soon we hope. Good luck and have a safe trip went you get ready:coffee:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
When will you be in Sayulita? I'll be there only for a couple of weeks in April. I always meet people from Colorado. (3 yr old? Our kids may have played together!)

I've driven a certain amount around that area over the years, in a compact rental Hyundai sedan. Lots of dirt roads, no problems.

Get the Arrachara con Queso at El Itecate, and La Gringa at Tacos El Ivan. :sombrero:

Edit: oh, and by the way, Congrats on the move, I'm super envious.

Last edited:

grox

Observer
I did a bunch of work on the Astro. All the regular stuff that breaks on these things. Vacuum lines, heater control regulator, oil cooler lines, etc. Got everything working well. Drove great on our first snowy Colorado day. I'll hold off till spring to worry about lift kit, and suspension tweaks.

We'll be in Sayulita next week for two weeks, but we won't be moving there until late June, maybe even July. T-low, Not sure if we'll be down in April, but ya never know. Lets keep in touch. And yes! The Arrachara con Queso at El Itecate, and La Gringa at Tacos El Ivan are great! My favorite two places in town.

We drove a VW Golf down from Denver about 5 years ago. Then, 4 years ago we went back in a $2000 Dodge Motorhome. Stopped and camped at all the little towns between Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. What a great trip! We fell in love with a lot of places but, we found the perfect little piece of land in Sayulita. We parked the camper and flew home. We finally decided that its time to take a break from the 9-5 and live there for (at least) a year while we build our house. Trying to make up my mind between traditional block building and a small shipping container house. Both have there advantages. Would be great if Expedition Portal had an alternative house section. Anyway - once we get further along I'll start a blog and keep you'll up to date with our adventure.

IMG_3581.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3581.jpg
    IMG_3581.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke