Can't think of a catchy name but I'm ALL IN now.

ARB or Engel for the fridge. The ARB is worth every cent. I thought the futon idea was cool for a van. Perhaps a better mattress for it would solve some issues

One should not sacrifice liberty, for a false sense of security.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Well, one stereo is hooked to the house speakers. The other is a DVD stereo and is hooked to a wireless headphone unit that transmits on an FM frequency. To watch a movie and have it play through the house speakers you had to tune the other stereo to the right frequency to pick up the DVD player. Sounded like crap but it did work.

The gentleman that built the van was in his late 80's and planned to do some traveling in it but he passed before he got the chance. The van sat a few years before the car lot got it at estate sale. The car lot couldn't find a buyer as is and was scared to death to gut it because of all the wiring and glued carpet mess. Hence my killer deal on a basically brand new van.

I'm keeping the porta pot. I'll find a hiding spot for it and when I don't stop at the next rest area she will learn to love it!
Ok maybe love is too strong a word for that.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
ARB or Engel for the fridge. The ARB is worth every cent. I thought the futon idea was cool for a van. Perhaps a better mattress for it would solve some issues

Thanks! Still really undecided and a fridge. Would love one and also a small microwave but still doing research on house batteries. I have a spot planned for 2 batteries but the cost of it all bring me back to our plan of just a tent on wheels. At the same time we ARE doing at least one house battery for the maxxair and DVD and some lights so why not just do it all now. GAAHH!
I've been scouring craigslist for some stuff.

Will the alternator charge all 3 batteries?
Can I just run a cutoff to the house batteries so as not to kill the van batt?
Can I mount this 110 charger and use it?
Will it charge 2 batteries?

Do I sell a kindey and just plunk down for all the bells and whistles chargers controllers monitors batteries panels gaaah!!

Here's the battery that came with it.

mikracer

Adventurer
If you're mounting your house batteries inside, be sure to either use AGM batteries or properly vent the lead acid batteries to the exterior. Some people say you should vent the AGM batteries too, but people also argue that the AGM batteries do not off gas enough to cause harm. I had 2 AGM deep cycle batteries in the interior of my Sportsmobile and I didn't vent them outside.

As far as what all you should get... it all depends on how much juice you're going to need. I installed 2 batteries because I didn't want to worry about my fridge shutting off a couple days into a camping trip. If you plan on running an inverter to run a microwave, I don't think you could do it with just one battery. If you were to install solar, you could run probably run off one battery indefinitely but you still would have issues with the micro (I think).

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
So no 12v microwaves?
I have read about and seen batteries outgas as they charge and have plans for a sealed vented area for all the electronics. It will be enough room for future expansion. Here's the charger that was in there. Will this charge 2 AGM's? Will my alternator charge it all? Not the ideal I'm sure.

I'm seeing a full blown charger controller in my future. More reading to do...

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
My eye and head hurt from trying to take it all in. This house battery thing is driving me nuts. SOOO many choices.

I want 2 deep cycle marine batteries. Got my eye on 2 Trojan T31AGM's.
Anyone know of a all in 1 unit that controls everything?? B2B charging as well as shore power charging??

Can you put a second alternator in your van? If so keep the accessory batteries separate from your starting battery. If not get a battery controller, and wire a charger to charge them all when an outlet is available. That should be good for the fridge and TV. Not sure about the Microwave. Remember to keep it as simple as possible though.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Now I'm seeing that just straight charging off the alternator will take a very long time to 100% charge a half dead house battery let alone 2 so a charger it is.

maelgwn

Now I'm seeing that just straight charging off the alternator will take a very long time to 100% charge a half dead house battery let alone 2 so a charger it is.

Charging with the alternator should be fine. A solenoid or voltage sensing relay to isolate the house battery when the engine is off is sufficient. Yes it takes a long time to get to 100% - but that is a property of the battery not the charger as the closer you are to 100% charge the longer it takes to charge that last bit. You should get from 50% to 90% in 2 or 3 hours of driving if you install large diameter cables between the batteries. See http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ke-a-cheap-isolated-dual-battery-setup-for-50

Regarding you 110AC charger - I believe charging 10% of the capacity per hour is ideal for long battery life. Therefore your 10amp charger is ideal for a 100Ah battery.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Charging with the alternator should be fine. A solenoid or voltage sensing relay to isolate the house battery when the engine is off is sufficient. Yes it takes a long time to get to 100% - but that is a property of the battery not the charger as the closer you are to 100% charge the longer it takes to charge that last bit. You should get from 50% to 90% in 2 or 3 hours of driving if you install large diameter cables between the batteries. See http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ke-a-cheap-isolated-dual-battery-setup-for-50

Regarding you 110AC charger - I believe charging 10% of the capacity per hour is ideal for long battery life. Therefore your 10amp charger is ideal for a 100Ah battery.

Thanks for the link. Been looking at that thread for a few days now. After looking at the price of Trojan batteries I'm realizing why people spend so much money on trick chargers. It's to make the batteries perform better and last for years and years. I think I fall into the "walmart battery" abuse and buy more every 3-4 years on the cheap catagory. Might spring for a nice automatic isolator. We go out as much as vacation days allow so it's never for long stints. We usually do 1 rally a year that lasts 9 days but there is shore power there. Other than that it's 3 day weekend stuff.

maelgwn

Thanks for the link. Been looking at that thread for a few days now. After looking at the price of Trojan batteries I'm realizing why people spend so much money on trick chargers. It's to make the batteries perform better and last for years and years. I think I fall into the "walmart battery" abuse and buy more every 3-4 years on the cheap catagory. Might spring for a nice automatic isolator. We go out as much as vacation days allow so it's never for long stints. We usually do 1 rally a year that lasts 9 days but there is shore power there. Other than that it's 3 day weekend stuff.

Trojan Wet-cell seem to be ok priced (SCS150 is ~$140 for 100Ah) it should last twice as long as a no name Marine/RV battery which would cost at least $90. The AGM look like they are more expensive.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
We have different expectations for length-of-stay, you 3 days, me 365, but similar vehicles and mindsets. My plan is a fridge (built-in style TF49 or 65 vs your ARB ideas), some lights, phone and laptop chargers, and maybe some little 12v appliances from here.

I intend to run a pair of 6v golf cart batteries and charge with my 130 amp alternator and about 3-400 watts of solar. I've done research and math galore. There's a lot to learn but a few basic rules and formulas are more than half the battle. Get charger specs from the battery manufacture.

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
Thanks for the links Mwillians! I'll have this figured out in no time!
12 hour work days really put the chocks on working on the van but gives me lots of time to read. Hoping to hit the supply store Saturday for some building materials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior