Super Budget Expedition Vehicle?

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I'd suggest checking out a 1989-1998 Suzuki Sidekick or Geo Tracker four door. Not the fastest rig, but they get decent fuel economy, parts are pretty easy, and they're very durable and dependable. Not sure if you can sleep in it or not, however.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
I'd suggest checking out a 1989-1998 Suzuki Sidekick or Geo Tracker four door. Not the fastest rig, but they get decent fuel economy, parts are pretty easy, and they're very durable and dependable. Not sure if you can sleep in it or not, however.

I was hell bent on recommending a Subaru given your request for fuel mileage but Thirty Nine has brought a very good option to the table in terms of capability, reliability and frugality go. I too am unsure if you can sleep in one or not but given their cheap entry fee I think it should be something to consider, I know I did. However, eventually my little Subaru won the races. It wasn't in the $3k-5k price bracket at the time but I'm sure you can find an 02-04 in that price range, and with that you get a very safe vehicle, something that was high on my priority list, great mileage considering its AWD, and the ability to sleep in it if needed. I've touched on this before and I'll do so again in this post, but the ide of an "expedition vehicle" is bull****. There are vehicles that get you to where you need to go reliably and there are vehicles that steal our imagination (and wallets). By that I mean if you're truly strapped for cash, get the cheapest and most reliable vehicle you can find like that W123 Benz someone posted, fold the seat down (not sure if that was an option) or remove it altogether and sleep in the back. Seeing the world doesn't require limitless pockets, but it does require you to really consider what is important to you. I'm not at all knocking the guys running several 10's of thousands of dollars worth of equipment on their rig, as that's what makes them happy and that's what car ownership and life in general is all about. But please don't be fooled into thinking that you need to have a sleep platform, front and rear lockers, or even 4wd for that matter. You need a brain, an open mind, and a willingness to make the most out of whatever you're given. I've slept in the back of my Impreza wagon with 2 60+ lb. dogs over 30 nights at rest stops, campsites, hotel parking lots, you name it.

When I decide to sleep, I pull my passenger seat all the way up, put an ammo can, or igloo cooler to fill the void, along with my backpack on top, and that's usually enough to provide an even surface in which to lay my REI sleep pad down. Tossa a pillow and a nice comforter in the mix and I'm in heaven, especially after 10 hours of facetime behind a windshield. Keep in mind that this is done with 2 mangy mutts occupying the other part of my car. There is alot of rearranging of luggage that needs to be done when setting this arrangement up, but my plans of a thule or yakima roof box will hopefully address this issue.

If gas mileage is your main concern, don't compromise on that. Although all the options presented thus far are solid, they also don't offer the greatest mileage, and I wouldn't hesitate to take an old 93 Accord Wagon up to the Artic circle and back with the arrangement I described above if we're truly talking budget vehicle. My list is as follows
1. 85 Benz 300D - http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4834935414.html
2. 95 Legacy w/EJ22 and 4EAT Auto - EJ22, doesn't share the head gasket issues that the 2.5L EJ25 has in earlier versions + you get Subie AWD, duh. - http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4835195151.html
3. 90 Volvo 240 Wagon - they're tanks and you could sleep in the back and invite 5 friends to join you- http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4824388346.html
4. 87 Yota Pickup with cap - This probably should be closer to the top. 2WD single cab 4 banger is going to net you mid-high 20's mpg. Toyota dependability without being beat like a 4WD -http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4814340510.html
5 89 4x4 Nissan Pickup - just as solid as a Yota IMHO w/o the pricetag (I owned one so I'm biased) - http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4819378809.html

Runner Up: Tracker - http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4779982313.html

Be realistic in what you need vs what you want. Do you NEED 4x4? Do you need high ground clearance (at the sacrifice of mpg), the list goes on, but at the end of the day the final decision comes down to you , not a forum of people who aren't at all familiar with you and your needs as you are. Writing a list helps, as does being honest with yourself and not letting want's rule the list, especially a list for a "Super Budget Expedition Vehicle".

kchristian

Adventurer
+1 for Monteros and Troopers. Seems like they go for less than half of the equivalent Toyota. I had a 3rd Gen Monty that took my wife and me all over Central America. We both slept comfortably inside too. I've also road tripped and slept inside a few Volvo wagons. Not a bad option at all.

Here is my old Montero and if you look closely you can see my V70R in the garage.

35318943-4FF7-428B-98FA-E658D90694E5.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I was hell bent on recommending a Subaru given your request for fuel mileage but Thirty Nine has brought a very good option to the table in terms of capability, reliability and frugality go. I too am unsure if you can sleep in one or not but given their cheap entry fee I think it should be something to consider, I know I did. However, eventually my little Subaru won the races. It wasn't in the $3k-5k price bracket at the time but I'm sure you can find an 02-04 in that price range, and with that you get a very safe vehicle, something that was high on my priority list, great mileage considering its AWD, and the ability to sleep in it if needed. I've touched on this before and I'll do so again in this post, but the ide of an "expedition vehicle" is bull****. There are vehicles that get you to where you need to go reliably and there are vehicles that steal our imagination (and wallets). By that I mean if you're truly strapped for cash, get the cheapest and most reliable vehicle you can find like that W123 Benz someone posted, fold the seat down (not sure if that was an option) or remove it altogether and sleep in the back. Seeing the world doesn't require limitless pockets, but it does require you to really consider what is important to you. I'm not at all knocking the guys running several 10's of thousands of dollars worth of equipment on their rig, as that's what makes them happy and that's what car ownership and life in general is all about. But please don't be fooled into thinking that you need to have a sleep platform, front and rear lockers, or even 4wd for that matter. You need a brain, an open mind, and a willingness to make the most out of whatever you're given. I've slept in the back of my Impreza wagon with 2 60+ lb. dogs over 30 nights at rest stops, campsites, hotel parking lots, you name it.

When I decide to sleep, I pull my passenger seat all the way up, put an ammo can, or igloo cooler to fill the void, along with my backpack on top, and that's usually enough to provide an even surface in which to lay my REI sleep pad down. Tossa a pillow and a nice comforter in the mix and I'm in heaven, especially after 10 hours of facetime behind a windshield. Keep in mind that this is done with 2 mangy mutts occupying the other part of my car. There is alot of rearranging of luggage that needs to be done when setting this arrangement up, but my plans of a thule or yakima roof box will hopefully address this issue.

If gas mileage is your main concern, don't compromise on that. Although all the options presented thus far are solid, they also don't offer the greatest mileage, and I wouldn't hesitate to take an old 93 Accord Wagon up to the Artic circle and back with the arrangement I described above if we're truly talking budget vehicle. My list is as follows
1. 85 Benz 300D - http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4834935414.html
2. 95 Legacy w/EJ22 and 4EAT Auto - EJ22, doesn't share the head gasket issues that the 2.5L EJ25 has in earlier versions + you get Subie AWD, duh. - http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4835195151.html
3. 90 Volvo 240 Wagon - they're tanks and you could sleep in the back and invite 5 friends to join you- http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4824388346.html
4. 87 Yota Pickup with cap - This probably should be closer to the top. 2WD single cab 4 banger is going to net you mid-high 20's mpg. Toyota dependability without being beat like a 4WD -http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4814340510.html
5 89 4x4 Nissan Pickup - just as solid as a Yota IMHO w/o the pricetag (I owned one so I'm biased) - http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4819378809.html

Runner Up: Tracker - http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/4779982313.html

Be realistic in what you need vs what you want. Do you NEED 4x4? Do you need high ground clearance (at the sacrifice of mpg), the list goes on, but at the end of the day the final decision comes down to you , not a forum of people who aren't at all familiar with you and your needs as you are. Writing a list helps, as does being honest with yourself and not letting want's rule the list, especially a list for a "Super Budget Expedition Vehicle".

I love our Subarus but --- But.... used Subarus are well used and most are beat and flogged hard. My rule is New or almost new Subaru or used toyota trucks or grandpa owned old low mileage domestic trucks. The Astro is a tough value to ignore, solid engine, cheap and a good sealth crash pad. The explorer in the family 99 has 230,000 miles on it. Never had any issues, tottally worn out but still runs.. The 4L v6 chain driven engine is well respected for giving a long life of good performance. The transmissions are the gotcha spot. The old rangers are hard to find and command a high price but worth keeping an eye out for a clean older low mile example. But it will be a find if you stumble onto one without a dozen other guys serious about it too. Toyota anything in decent shape commands a premium. Your price point I'm thinking Domestic brand older respected truck thats spent its life parked in a retirement community puttzing around with grandpa. Scope out bulletin boards around 55 and up communities they dont use craigs list. That would be my plan of attack.

rabies

time is running out.....
Hard to beat the Jeep XJ for super low cost, tons of aftermarket parts, fairly cheap OEM parts, and they do OK on fuel. ....

a man that knows the answer :D i agree. lift and tires mpg isnt really great at all but what is after all the changes

Octotat

Observer
a man that knows the answer :D i agree. lift and tires mpg isnt really great at all but what is after all the changes

Ha, I wish I did! The best deal is the 2wd Cherokees, they are all but given away with tons of miles left on them. I'm toying with getting one for my road tripping, 2wd, 5 speed, 4.0L and keep it bone stock except for my kayak racks.

Davev1954

Supporting Grouch
Keep it simple- any Jeep with the 4.0L. Cherokee or Grand Cherokee. Cheap to buy, tons of parts and support, cheap to fix and maintain.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Another good suggestion. Should be able to find a 3.5 with LSD in that price range with fairly low miles. What kind of mileage are you getting in yours? I get between 17-18 consistently in mine but that's about 90% highway.

17-22 with 265/75r16 aggressive all terrains. I still vote these are the best value in 4wd SUVS. Even looking at new SUVS you don't gain much and no better fuel economy. 3.5 has plenty of power, 4.90's in the rear, reliable, fairly simple to work on, excellent LSD, very comfortable, very quiet (this make a big difference on long drives), very stout, can fit 32's with no lift and very little loss in power, strong transmission, lots of room, quality paint, can be had with really low miles in excellent condition for under 5k (or even under 4k).

Rachmaninoff

Observer
Monteros and XJs sound like they're in the sweet spot.

Perhaps Monteros are a bit more in the sweet spot since you can get them newer for a similar price. Still, my heart kind of leans for the Jeep's boxy aesthetic.

One more consideration is the mileage I should be aiming for: I'm not quite sure exactly what qualifies as decent, great, bad and not buyable. I'm a total amateur when it comes to car repairs/maintenance, though I certainly don't mind learning and getting my hands dirty, spending the better part of a day working on something.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I hope you don't mind me stepping in on your thread, but I'm kind of in the same boat too. I'm not ready to drive from Phoenix to Alaska, but I might like to some day! Mostly looking for weekend or week long adventures. I'm ready to move on from my VW and back into a Japanese truck…so I've narrowed it down between a 1st Gen 4runner or a Trooper. Those 4runners are a bit over my budget especially considering the age, but I've always wanted one and I know they are pretty much bullet proof. The Trooper is kind of my runner up, I like them, they can be had super cheap and obviously a decade newer….

Currently looking at a 1987 4runner 5spd 188K on the clock, 5 previous owners, re-geared, lift, small maintenance issues taken care of, larger ones are questionable with no documented service history. $6700

Or 1998 Trooper, auto trans, 200k on the clock, original owner, all paperwork back to window sticker, big ticket items all taken care of last two years, truck is in mint condition, $3400.

As much as I love the 4runner I want to jump on the Trooper because I feel it is a much better deal and within my budget, however the mileage scares me a little. I'm not as familiar with Isuzu as I am Toyotas.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I hope you don't mind me stepping in on your thread, but I'm kind of in the same boat too. I'm not ready to drive from Phoenix to Alaska, but I might like to some day! Mostly looking for weekend or week long adventures. I'm ready to move on from my VW and back into a Japanese truck…so I've narrowed it down between a 1st Gen 4runner or a Trooper. Those 4runners are a bit over my budget especially considering the age, but I've always wanted one and I know they are pretty much bullet proof. The Trooper is kind of my runner up, I like them, they can be had super cheap and obviously a decade newer….

Currently looking at a 1987 4runner 5spd 188K on the clock, 5 previous owners, re-geared, lift, small maintenance issues taken care of, larger ones are questionable with no documented service history. $6700

Or 1998 Trooper, auto trans, 200k on the clock, original owner, all paperwork back to window sticker, big ticket items all taken care of last two years, truck is in mint condition, $3400.

As much as I love the 4runner I want to jump on the Trooper because I feel it is a much better deal and within my budget, however the mileage scares me a little. I'm not as familiar with Isuzu as I am Toyotas.

Both of those are overpriced. I used to have a 1st gen runner. Honestly it was great off road and to look at but as a daily or highway vehicle they are too slow/old.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Ya after sleeping on it I said forget the 4runner. I'm now looking at another 98 Trooper S, this time its a 5 speed, 179k miles, clean carfax, OME lift, new BFGs, lots of big maintenance items already done, limited slip, asking $4200. Going to check it out tonight.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Ya after sleeping on it I said forget the 4runner. I'm now looking at another 98 Trooper S, this time its a 5 speed, 179k miles, clean carfax, OME lift, new BFGs, lots of big maintenance items already done, limited slip, asking $4200. Going to check it out tonight.

There you go. Personally, and this is advise to anyone thinking Trooper, stay away from the late models with the automatic transmissions. Unless they are really well cared for, and they seldom are, they can and will be your main source of headaches. A later model 5-speed is a **************' combo. Even though I still prefer gen1s.

I know I am late to joining this thread, but here's mine:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/141952-1991-Isuzu-Trooper-Overlanding-Build

Base price was $2500 and although I have thrown a ton of money into it building it up, you need not go as far as I did, and you will be running with a really inexpensive overlanding rig. The only problem is, being patient enough to find a good used one that was well taken care of.

Bart

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
There you go. Personally, and this is advise to anyone thinking Trooper, stay away from the late models with the automatic transmissions. Unless they are really well cared for, and they seldom are, they can and will be your main source of headaches. A later model 5-speed is a **************' combo. Even though I still prefer gen1s.

I know I am late to joining this thread, but here's mine:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/141952-1991-Isuzu-Trooper-Overlanding-Build

Base price was $2500 and although I have thrown a ton of money into it building it up, you need not go as far as I did, and you will be running with a really inexpensive overlanding rig. The only problem is, being patient enough to find a good used one that was well taken care of.

Bart

Went and test drove the Trooper last night. Mechanically its in great shape, drove really well even with the lift and mud terrains. The outside is not bad, but not minty fresh, but I was able to get him down to $3100 so I'm happy. Bringing it home tonight, can't wait to start making it my own!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne