Super Budget Expedition Vehicle?

Rachmaninoff

Observer
Hi, I'm going to be purchasing a vehicle soon, but I'd like it to be something I could at least do more minor overlanding in. So, I'm wondering what models I should really be looking for in the 3-5k range (if anything? lol).

As far as what I want to do: nothing super technical, but I kind of want long distance highway with an ability to do some moderately technical things without too much problem.

Fuel economy would be a bigger consideration in general, though I do want to do some very long trips (i.e. to Alaska from AZ and back).

Update: I do want to sleep inside of the vehicle (yes, I want to travel very cheaply). So, basically an SUV or a pickup with a cab (preferably an SUV). Being able to take more than one person would be nice.

Last edited:

Hodaka

Adventurer
So many choices. You might want to add fuel economy into the considerations if you are still planning an AK trip.

mires

Adventurer
If I had that budget, it would be between a Montero and a Trooper for me. The Montero can be had with a rear locker from the factory and will fit a 33x10.50 tire which is the biggest tire you will need.

Rachmaninoff

Observer
If I had that budget, it would be between a Montero and a Trooper for me. The Montero can be had with a rear locker from the factory and will fit a 33x10.50 tire which is the biggest tire you will need.

I'll look into those for sure.

So many choices. You might want to add fuel economy into the considerations if you are still planning an AK trip.

Fuel economy is a large consideration, I will add that.

ihatemybike

Explorer
I've done many trips in Astro vans, including 3 weeks Chicago-AK-Chicago with my wife and a large husky. The AWD versions are amazingly capable in stock form, cheap to maintain, cheap to lift if you so desire, fairly easy to convert to 4x4 with low range.

Highway I average 20+ MPG.

Applejack

Explorer
Are you solo, a couple, family etc? If solo or a couple, a stock Toyota pickup 4x4 w/shell for sleeping and securing stuff. 22re 4 cyl, not the v6.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Do you plan on doing anything besides driving on mapped roads? Your "moderately technical things" has me wondering.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
p101071884.jpg

I couldn't possibly imagine a better car for an AK trip. Even a Subaru

Last edited:

arlon

Adventurer
Do you want to sleep in it? Tent in it? etc? I would vote for the Astro too as a great bang for the buck platform that can me made to handle some pretty nasty roads on the cheap. Mileage might be an issue but no worse than any other V6 awd/4x4 I've seen. Never owned a Subaru but I have seen some older foresters for a decent price. Thought along those lines before I ran across a nice AWD Astro. I have grown to really appreaciate the Astro but they aren't perfect either. Everything is going to be a compromise.

I really give the Astro (or any other mini van for that matter) points for being able to sleep in it with very little work. Mine is now a model of simplicity and works perfectly for long weekends. I hope to do some much longer trips in it next year when I retire. I love having zero setup/take down, park anywhere and not be noticed. Saves a ton of money when you can take a cat nap just about anywhere without being noticed. Stealth can be a benefit if you're on a budget.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I get over 50 mpg in my 2003 Jetta TDI, can manage 800 miles on a tank driven with a light foot, and am becoming very curious how much of an economy hit I'd take lifting it a couple of inches and adding a skidplate and RTT.

Just a thought for the folks who want to pile on a ton of miles and not pay much for fuel. The stickshift 1999.5-2003 models will get the best mileage and with just some injectors and a tune are a ton of fun to drive - lots of torque.

Byrnie Mac

Observer
Make sure you look into Isuzu Troopers. 1st gen are awesome, kinda quirky in a cool way, and can be found for dirt cheap. I bought an '89 with only 130k on the clock, it has the 5-speed 2.6L 4-cyl combo, and I have yet to find any rust. Only ended up paying about $1,100. With your budget, you could make this an incredibly capable rig, and I just fit 255 wide, 31's under it in the stock configuration, and there is still tons of room. The newer Troopers are great, too. For the price, you can't really go wrong (as long as you check for cancerous rust). That is the main thing to look for; be sure to look inside the rear wheel wells at the frame, bottom of doors, around the windshield, and check out the battery tray. A fair amount that you see pop up (especially from up north) are just eaten alive with rust. If you find one locally in AZ, chances are pretty good that you'll find one in awesome condition. In pretty much all versions, the consensus from 'Zu pros is to try and avoid any V6 to auto tranny combos. The 3.5 V6's have a tendency to burn a good bit of oil, and if its a 1st gen with a lot of miles (~200k+), ensure the head gasket has been replaced, or plan on doing that. The aftermarket for troopers is pretty slack, especially in the US. Independent4x.com does what they can to take care of us, but still wish their selection was larger.

Montero's are worth looking into as well, another one with great bang for your buck. Other than that, a good Toyota 4runner with a stick and a 22re and you should be good.

Happy hunting and I look forward to seeing what you end up getting!

4x4junkie

Explorer
I think an earlier Ford Explorer is something very hard to beat when it comes to combining durability, value, having an efficient interior space, and offroad ability... You can pick these things up for a song, ditch the stupid running boards, beat the holy hell out of it and it'll just keep going. With normal maintenance, they can go for 300K+ miles easily.
Unbeknownst to many, the aftermarket for drivetrain upgrades is actually very good (the '91-'94 models in particular, lockers from ARBs to Lock-Rights, nearly any gear ratio you could want, suspension lifts, prerunning kits, etc.), along with some great tech support on the web. Only thing tougher to find might be aftermarket body bolt-ons (bumpers, skids, armor, etc.), though it does exist if you know where to look (and of course there is always the do-it-yourself option if you have a welder).

Look for one with the M5OD manual transmission. These are reliable as dirt and should get in excess of 24 MPG if you drive at a somewhat conservative speed and ignore the stupid too-low tire PSI recommendation on the door sticker (35 PSI works well).
Ones with the automatic tend to guzzle more fuel though (and could suddenly drain your wallet too if you don't also put an external tranny cooler on it), so might be better to avoid the auto if you can.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I was in the same boat, considered an older Subaru but it seems the head gaskets are a maintenance item on those. Ended up in a clean low mileage s10 blazer, put some 30x 9.5 on it stock everything still in it only about $3,000. That 16mpg and 200 mile range is quite disappointing though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94