Super Budget Expedition Vehicle?

luk4mud

Explorer
I am looking at Suzuki Sidekicks. Owners are telling me that they get 25+ mpg. Typical "worn out" mileage is about 200,000. A 1st gen one can be bought for less than 5k easily, many are around 3k locally, with 100k to 150k mileage. Lotta bang for your buck.

dar395

Adventurer
I am looking at Suzuki Sidekicks. Owners are telling me that they get 25+ mpg. Typical "worn out" mileage is about 200,000. A 1st gen one can be bought for less than 5k easily, many are around 3k locally, with 100k to 150k mileage. Lotta bang for your buck.

Long trip not-ta a great auto, newer gen 1999+ Virta or Chevrolet Tracker I could see but bid small for sleeping, I thing Van is best bet.

mires

Adventurer
montero sport

Another good suggestion. Should be able to find a 3.5 with LSD in that price range with fairly low miles. What kind of mileage are you getting in yours? I get between 17-18 consistently in mine but that's about 90% highway.

expeditionist

Observer
I own a 2001 Montero XLS for my side biz. I have always gone with Toyota but decided to try out the Montero. I am extremely impressed with the build quality, comfort, and the MPG. I drove it to Telluride and back from Denver and got exactly 20mpg. Pretty good for a vehicle of it's size. Not to mention they can be had for around 5K. Good luck!

zimm

Expedition Leader
My vote goes 1st gen trooper with 12 bolt rear, 5speed and 2.6. I just paid the RS premium of 5.5g for a like,new condition example. You can find similar 4 doors in the 2 to 3 g range. Im not done with the first tank to see what real world mpg is city/highway/leadfoot.

The RS frobt seats fold so flat i can sleep in them if i had to. Youd likely need a lwb for comfort.

Byrnie Mac

Observer
I have a long wheel base '89 Trooper LS with a 5-speed and a 2.6L. So far I have gotten around 22-23 mpg, but I haven't driven it with economy in mind, so I could probably average a little better. Tomorrow I am putting Goodyear Wrangler M/Ts (245/75R16) on it with my new-to-me 16" snowflakes. So my mileage will probably take a slight drop unless I really focus on being economical.

zimm

Expedition Leader
17.2 combined right now. Its a detailed mileage log. Speedo is gps checked.

Epa was 17 combined in 89, 19 highway only. That would be a slow start, windows up, no ac, and not exceeding 55mph. 2.6 with 5speed. It never ceases to amaze me the extent manufactures go to maximize that number, and somehow someone always crushed it by a % that is best described as an outlier.

How do you beat the epa number by 30%???

Last edited:
S

Squatchout

18 all around no matter how you drive it is pretty standard in a 1st gen. 21-23 is obtainable on stock tires and lower speeds.

zimm

Expedition Leader
18 all around no matter how you drive it is pretty standard in a 1st gen. 21-23 is obtainable on stock tires and lower speeds.

but its not obtainable as an AVERAGE. my 2001 1.8 passat front wheel drive averaged 25 thru its life.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I get over 50 mpg in my 2003 Jetta TDI, can manage 800 miles on a tank driven with a light foot, and am becoming very curious how much of an economy hit I'd take lifting it a couple of inches and adding a skidplate and RTT.

Just a thought for the folks who want to pile on a ton of miles and not pay much for fuel. The stickshift 1999.5-2003 models will get the best mileage and with just some injectors and a tune are a ton of fun to drive - lots of torque.

Love the idea, a wagon of course though. Might really not need to lift it but for two reasons I'd want the largest diameter tire it would allow: easy ground clearance without altering suspension/lift, and increased fuel economy at rolling speed. The TDI engine ought to have enough grunt to roll larger tires just fine.
Put on some super durable tires, a full size spare, some extra biodiesel and off you go. An aerodynamic tent like the Magiolina on the roof would be cool but pretty much defeats the "budget" idea. However, the Jetta wagon has enough room inside you could very easily set up a sleeping zone. I know because I've done it many times in my wagon.

4x4junkie

Explorer
17.2 combined right now. Its a detailed mileage log. Speedo is gps checked.

Epa was 17 combined in 89, 19 highway only. That would be a slow start, windows up, no ac, and not exceeding 55mph. 2.6 with 5speed. It never ceases to amaze me the extent manufactures go to maximize that number, and somehow someone always crushed it by a % that is best described as an outlier.

How do you beat the epa number by 30%???

I recall my BII being rated 22 hwy by the epa, yet I've gotten over 26 from it before I put on the lift & 35" tires (even now, it still can get low-20s hwy). Aside from driving habits, probably the biggest thing influencing MPG is tire pressure (ok, high-profile roof racks loaded past the brim or RTTs will suck MPG down too). The more pressure you have in the tires, the easier it is for them to roll down the road. Of course much above whatever is recommended for whatever size tire you have won't do any wonders for treadwear evenness.

Octotat

Observer
Hard to beat the Jeep XJ for super low cost, tons of aftermarket parts, fairly cheap OEM parts, and they do OK on fuel. I have the ZJ, with the 6 cylinder and just got 18 on a trip with 31x10.50s. The XJ also came with a 5 speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior