Thoughts on a '98 TLC

2005PW

Observer
I recently found a '98 Cruiser with 76,--- miles on it for $16,500. It is a very clean 2 owner vehicle and I would appreciate your thoughts on price and what to watch out for while inspecting it.

Thanks

expeditionist

Observer
$16.5 seems high to me even with the low milage. Keep in mind that you will be due for a TB/WP in only 14K miles. That would add 1.5K to the already premium price. It may be due for new rubber parts anyways as belts/hoses/seals can dry rot with age regardless of miles. Crawl under the truck and look for any signs of leaks or rust. Low miles doesn't always mean good condition. But maybe you found a garage queen gem. Keep us posted!

2005PW

Observer
Thanks Expeditionist for your thoughts and suggestions. It's at a dealership in a resort town which explains part of the high price. I will get some pics and keep you posted.

Klierslc

Explorer
Looks pretty good, rear locker is a plus. 98 models did not have the rear AC though, not sure if that is important for you. If you plan on taking it off-road, the front diff in that model year was notoriously weak. Relatively easy to upgrade though.

It looks good. But wow, is it over priced based on www.nada.com. This is what I get from nada when I put the vehicles info.

Clean retail is $12,700

Clean trade in is $9,925

Average trade in is $8,675

So, I hope they give you a better price on that car.

2005PW

Observer
I agree it is over priced based on NADA, KBB, etc. when i look around at what's for sale in the northwest they are all well over book and usually have 150k or more miles. I thought perhaps the value books was in error. But based on the feedback so for I guess not. I really appreciate the thoughts.

2005PW

Observer
Well someone else thought the price was reasonable. They bought it sight unseen over the phone, full asking price.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I wouldn't let that sway you - not to mention, I assume you got that info from the dealer so who knows what it actually sold for (or was swapped with another dealer). I also didn't see the third row seats, although maybe they were taken out for the photos.

The 2000+ LCs are supposed to have a stronger front differential and 2003+? get the five speed transmission. 2005+ get the stronger VVti engine. For the price that dealer was asking, it seems like you could at least get into the 2000+ range. I was looking earlier this year with a $20K budget and was focusing on 2003+. I don't put a huge premium on low miles and sometimes find very little correlation between miles and condition/maintenance. I'd rather have a maintained LC with 110K and the timing service done, than a 75K one though will need the service and has sat or been neglected.

I assume you are also cross-shopping LX470s since they are more plentiful. But the unfortunate thing is there just aren't all that many out there. I ended up getting a GX470, in part because I could get a newer one for less money. But the main reason was it was just taking a long time to find ones I thought were worth looking at. I decided I didn't have the time to be traveling a couple hundred miles every weekend to find a used car.

But with that said, the GX has been fine but I wish I could have bought an LC/LX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94