The Perfect Vehicle-Mounted Medical/First Aid Bag

Erik N

Adventurer
The last thing you want it a simple head injury and next thing you know your freaking out looking for the basics like a pair of gloves and some gauze.

That is when you should be calling a helicopter instead! Can't really dx a head bleed vs. concussion in the field, without time. W/ indicative MOI, could be a hemorrhagic CVA.

Nice kit you made.

I would advise to keep the gloves in a ziplock or else they will dry out.

Also to add a 20-60cc syringe w/ 12-18g cath to irrigate deep punctures, using some antiseptic rinse w/lidocaine available at Walgreen's, etc. Cleans it out and kills local pain fast.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, long day today. Erik NREMTP M8059938

PS. Good for you, sincerely, for taking 12-15 kids camping. I don't think that I could do that w/ decent results... You are one of the good ones!

Last edited:

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Sorry by head injury I mean, I mean a very simple superficial laceration to the head. MOI last time that happened, one boy through a rock at another. What I was getting at is some ppl see blood and panic. Based off the questions from the OP I assume he doesn't see much of it and may have the same reaction. A simple cut on the scalp can bleed pretty bad and definitely cause a mess. Me, I want to keep everything very accessible so I'm not contaminating everything else in the kit. I completely agree, the MOI if serious enough requires further care that is not going to happen in the field.

Syringes, I do have 10cc syringes and plastic catheters for wound care. I believe I have one 20 in there.

I'll definitely think about the gloves, again my thinking is less steps and more accessible.

And by no means do I think your a jerk haha. I'm still young and young in the EMS field. I know I have a lot to learn and ppl who think they know everything may as well know nothing. That being said, I welcome the constructive criticism.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erik N

Adventurer
I would add a 2nd SAM splint as well. I know there are people here who will say that they can make a splint out of sticks, newspaper, duct tape, blankets, etc, but those SAM splints are great IMO.

Last edited:

RangerXLT

Adventurer
I would agree. Worth the money for sure. I would really like some vacuum splints but....yeah I'm not rich. Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

robert

Expedition Leader
Just pack the wound with a salt/sugar mixture :p It will at least tell the sucker to not hurt themselves again.

Sugardine on the other hand is a real treatment. :)

And to keep things on topic, I just use an old M3 medic bag for longer trips. Most of the time there's just a boo-boo kit and a SAM splint in the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles